Is $145 normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Empty V:
....only had a total of 16 divers on the boat.....
I friend of mine recently dove the Oriskany. The boat was at capacity with only 6 divers on board. This will automatically make it more expensive per diver.

The real question is, "Is the dive worth the money?" Everything else is just fluff. Only you can answer the question.

Empty V:
Thanks for the input and it's good to know that everyone out there is getting ripped off, not just me.

Billy

RIPPED OFF???????

And, what's your state income tax over there? Ours is ZERO, And what's it cost to live in a 2000 sq. ft. house out your way? 3/4 of a million bucks? I don't mind paying a few extra bucks to dive the largest artificial reef in the world. If you don't like our prices, stay in Cali, where the water is freakin cold. It nice and toasty over here.

divematt:
RIPPED OFF???????

And, what's your state income tax over there? Ours is ZERO, And what's it cost to live in a 2000 sq. ft. house out your way? 3/4 of a million bucks? I don't mind paying a few extra bucks to dive the largest artificial reef in the world. If you don't like our prices, stay in Cali, where the water is freakin cold. It nice and toasty over here.

LOL you guys are getting so defensive, hahaha. Maybe you should come out to California to relax, sounds like you need it :wink:

So back to the tipping question please.

Billy

I usually tip between $15.00 to $20.00 for most trips. I think most tip anywhere between ten and twenty so you are in the ballpark for this area. Although i'm sure they won't mind if you want to tip more :wink: .

So I'm guessing you wouldn't be enthused about a Texas Gulf Coast rig trip to 20 miles offshore for $225? I regularly make the drive over to Pensacola for the "cheap" diving.
Couldn't do it. You see the missus and I are dive buddies that means I'm at $450 for a two tank dive. If it were me, I'd rather do some shore diving off Florida's East Coast. Stay in a cheap hotel and do 4 dives a day.

Or reserve a Kawama condo in Key Largo through speargirl, $125/night, cook all your meals there, dive all the cool upper Keys wrecks for the going rate (average is about $65-75) and for not much more than the cost of ONE diver in Texas you both get to dive and enjoy a resort in the Keys and...well, you have to eat anyway so if you cook in the condo like we do it's a really inexpensive and exquisite vacation!!

Empty V, just for your info the surface water temps right now are running in the low 80's. I heard a trip report from yesterday on the "O" that stated water temps on the flight deck (137 fsw) were 77* with viz at 100 feet or better. Here is the local sea forecast from NOAA:

MONDAY
EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS BECOMING SOUTHEAST. SEAS 1 TO 2FEET.
BAYS AND COASTAL WATERWAYS A LIGHT CHOP. ISOLATED SHOWERS AND
THUNDERSTORMS.

[SIZE=+1]MONDAY NIGHT[/SIZE]
SOUTHEAST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS. SEAS 1 TO 2 FEET.
BAYS AND COASTAL WATERWAYS SMOOTH. ISOLATED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

[SIZE=+1]TUESDAY[/SIZE]
EAST WINDS AROUND 10 KNOTS BECOMING SOUTH 10 TO 15 KNOTS.
SEAS 1 TO 2 FEET. BAYS AND COASTAL WATERWAYS A LIGHT CHOP. SHOWERS
AND THUNDERSTORMS LIKELY.

[SIZE=+1]TUESDAY NIGHT[/SIZE]
SOUTH WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 1 TO 2 FEET.
BAYS AND COASTAL WATERWAYS A LIGHT CHOP. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND
THUNDERSTORMS.

[SIZE=+1]WEDNESDAY THROUGH THURSDAY[/SIZE]
SOUTH WINDS AROUND 10 KNOTS OVERNIGHT BECOMING
SOUTHWEST DURING THE DAY. SEAS 1 TO 2 FEET. BAYS AND COASTAL WATERWAYS
SMOOTH. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

The "O" is a great dive and the cost just depends on what you are into spending... Most people spend the money to go places just because of the experience. I'm not sure about other charters but H2O below charters out to the "O" and serves snacks/lunch and also provides dive masters at additional cost. One of them has over 150+ dives just on the "O" itself so there is great experience to help you enjoy your trip... You could always look for someone who owns a boat and is willing to head out 22.5 miles and split cost... Tipping is up to the person themselves, some tip a basic amount and others tip well. Either way it is worth diving at least once... Good luck in your choice.

It takes alot of money to keep our Gulf warm, D'uh.

All in all, its a fantastic dive. I ***** about money constantly, but I got my $$'s worth out of my trip to the Oriskany.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom