Is 5/4 Too Much For Florida/Hawaii/Cozumel? Poll added

Is 5/4 Too Much For Florida/Hawaii/Cozumel?

• 5/4 is Good for all (maybe warm on first dive)

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • 3mil Is Better Choice (with optional hood/hooded vest)

Votes: 11 42.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guppie

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I do have a tendency to get cold, but is 5/4 (Pinnacle Fusion) just too much? Would i be better served with a 3mm and hooded vest if needed? I can get the Pinnacle Fusion or Seal (Merino linning) for $170/$160. Thanks homies.

I think that might be overkill. I dive a 3/2 mm wetsuit at home and I am perfectly fine. Depends on what time of year you are diving in Florida too (some elaborate). But I personally think buying a wetsuit for 170 $ is a waste of money but thats just me.

I get cold over multiple days of diving, and a 5/4 would be a minimum for me in Hawaii or Cozumel. If I plan to do 3-4 dives a day then I'll even throw in a hood.

There are places in Florida that are 66-70F in the winter (springs and ocean)...it's doable with a 3mm full + 5/3 hooded vest...you'll be more comfortable in a 5/4.

Cheers.

-J.-

Don't know about "others" but I wear a 5/4 all winter down here in the Keys. I am never too warm.
I also very seldom dive in shallow water.
The water will get down to 70 in places here.

I started with a shorty and a 3mm full suit for all around tropical diving. The 3mm was fine for summerish conditions (80 sea and 80+ air temps) but less than ideal during winter months(70/70 ish). And, I don't get cold easily.

I currently dive a Fusion 5/4 most of the year. It's just enough in the winter months and is usable but on the warm side during the summer.

Hawaii generally has colder water than summer in the carribean or florida. So if that's in the plans I would stick with the 5/4. If I could only own one full suit, it would be the 5/4. Not the 3. But, that's just me, YMMV.

Depends where and when you go around Florida. My local springs are 73 degrees, year around. The ocean off Jupiter was 83 degrees last Saturday. Johnny has been to a few colder places, and Crystal River may qualify.

My group uses the following: 3mm suit (I use Pinnacle Breaker) 2mm "undershirt" when needed, and a beanie hood. The beanie is less restrictive with the extensive neck seal on a Pinnacle suit.

We use the undershirt alone sometimes to snorkel, or when the water gets real warm. Different combinations of these items cover a wide range of temperatures.

Have fun with it.

My florida dives would be Venice to Palm Harbor (Clearwater) area. The others are just the dive trips I've made. Why did that dude say $170 is a waste of money for wetsuit, don't understand that statement.

It's not necessarily right now either, I just know those are the places I'll frequent at any given season.

I live in Michigan so my primary concern is with drysuit/7mm. I didn't want to spend too much on a warm water suit. Looking at options and quality, I hear Pinnacles are excellent suits compared to the cheaper Akona's.

I would think that the suit you are talking about should be fine, assuming that it fits properly. If you find that you are getting too cool, just add a hood. If it seems too warm pull open the neck hole to get a rush of cool water down your chest or back.

Mark Vlahos

I've dived in Hawaii and Cozumel in a 3 mil, and a 3 mil with a hooded vest. I've always been comfortable enough, but I do get chilly at the end of a long dive.

I recently bought a 5 mil suit for my cave class, and I don't think I'll dive the 3 mil very much in the future. I was SO much more comfortable in the thicker suit!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom