Is 5/4 Too Much For Florida/Hawaii/Cozumel? Poll added

Is 5/4 Too Much For Florida/Hawaii/Cozumel?

• 5/4 is Good for all (maybe warm on first dive)

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • 3mil Is Better Choice (with optional hood/hooded vest)

Votes: 11 42.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I primarily dive North Florida springs and the ocean from Jacksonville to the Keys, and I'm very comfortable in a 3mm. I must add that I'm the guy that keeps his thermostat at 72 in the summer, so I don't get very cold!

You don't want to go crazy thick, but remember it's easier to cool down if you're a tad warm (tug neck open a bit to let in cool water) than to warm up once cold. A 5/4 is not THAT much thicker than the 3mm that many wear, so it should be fine.

My dive buddy wore a 7 mil when we dove in Truk! LOL -Todd.

I do have a tendency to get cold...

Don't know about you, but I've never finished a dive thinking "Would have been a better dive if I was colder!"

:D

Those that have pinnacle merino, are they warmer like pinnacle claims? Pinnacle says a 3mm is like a 5mm. I may start a new thread (or search) for that question. It's sounding like a 5/4 is a safe way to go. It's a good point that a dive ends when your cold, but not when your warm.

You don't want to go crazy thick, but remember it's easier to cool down if you're a tad warm (tug neck open a bit to let in cool water) than to warm up once cold. A 5/4 is not THAT much thicker than the 3mm that many wear, so it should be fine.

Having dived in all three of the listed locations, I'd say CompuDude has it right. If anything should happen, I'd rather be in a wetsuit too thick than too thin.

It also depends on where you dive in Hawaii. Kauai seems a bit colder than, say, Kona. And some of the DM's there were diving with 7mm suits.

I did some dives in Coz with a couple where they both were wearing 3mm suits on a drift dive. By the end of the first dive, they were chilled enough to be shivering. YMMV.

I do have a tendency to get cold, but is 5/4 (Pinnacle Fusion) just too much? Would i be better served with a 3mm and hooded vest if needed? I can get the Pinnacle Fusion or Seal (Merino linning) for $170/$160. Thanks homies.

That is really hard to generalize because it all depends on you. I do OK with my 3mm - but I have some natural insulation too. A friend of mine uses a 5-6-7 suit and sometimes still gets cold...another friend just wears a skin.

I'd say either way would work. Using a hood will make a difference right there :wink:

Is the 5/4 idea better than 3mm with the option of layering with a hooded vest if it gets cold. I'm only use to wearing 7mm farmer johns up here in Michgian (junky rentals). I'm a marshmellow in that combination. With 5 in the torso and 4 in the extremeties at a price of $165 just seems to be a good purchae. If I buy the 3mm and a vest, I'm exceeding that $165 by a lot. But, price is secondary to having a suit that will work the 'majority' of my dives.

My Hawaii dives were off of Ohau. First dive, 100 feet in a shorty. Ok. Second and third dive. BRR.

Much easier buying a suit for Michigan. It's 7mm or dry year round.

I wore a 3/2 in Kauai in Janurary and I was chilled after two dives. Around Maui I can dive a shorty to 130' and I am just fine. So the water temps can vary even in the same general area. I try to check with the locals before going on vacation to get an idea of what the temps are going to be and then plan accordingly. It's not the suit that you need to look at so much as where you think you will do the most diving.

If you really like one piece suits you will have to get more than one suit for different locations and temperatures. With a farmer john type suit you have more options because you can swap tops and bottoms to fit the conditions.

The Gulf gets a lot colder than the Keys or east coast in the winter months.
Last weekend it was already down to 78 and with the rain and cold front that went through this week I expect it to be around 75 this weekend.
For the long ( 2+ hours) shark tooth dives I am already wearing my 5/4 Pinnacle Fusion with a hood.
Come Dec.thru march I will be in a drysuit.
But love that time July-Sept. with just the swim suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom