Is 5/4 Too Much For Florida/Hawaii/Cozumel? Poll added

Is 5/4 Too Much For Florida/Hawaii/Cozumel?

• 5/4 is Good for all (maybe warm on first dive)

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • 3mil Is Better Choice (with optional hood/hooded vest)

Votes: 11 42.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on where and when you plan on doing most of your diving , at least in Florida. If you plan on doing springs mostly while here, then a 5/4 isn't too thick, IMHO. A hood may be overdoing it though. Can't recall the last Florida diver I saw wearing a hood. I dive with a 5mil in the springs and am one happy girl when I see others in a 3 with their teeth chattering.

If you think you'll be doing diving mostly during the late spring/summer/fall off the Fl. coast, then a 5/4 may be overkill. I've even gone w/o wearing a wetsuit when doing ocean diving and felt perfectly comfortable. The only time I think you'd need a 5/4 in the ocean is if you're planning on doing your diving during the winter months in Florida. All three of them.

I dive in the Pinnacle 5/4 for the the winter months in south Florida. I can't count how many times someone on the boat, usually a tourist visiting, tells me how they are not bothered by the cold and only need a 3mm or shorty. These folks end up sitting out the second dive 50% of the time because they get cold. Get the Pinnacle 5/4 it is my favorite and most versatile suit.

About 90% of you say the 5/4. Perfect during winter, perfect during deep or multi dives in summer (Assuming first dive is probable done in rash guard and BS)

Fusion it is. Thanks Guys.

I dove a 5mm full on Oahu (where the water stays 70 degrees even to 100fsw); the guy next to me in the boat wore a t-shirt and board shorts. It just depends on how cold you get, and there's nothing wrong or weird with either.

I am going through the same thoughts as you as its time for me to get a new suit. I usually dive Cozumel, Roatan or Belize in April and the water temperature usually ranges from about 79 to 83 F. I presently dive with a 3/2 mm full suit with a 3 mm vest. I tend to get cold when the water is on the cooler side, say, 79 to 80 F. And regardless I tend to cold on the 2nd dive even when the temp is 83 F.

I typically dive two morning dives. First one is usually 90+ feet with the second one 50 to 70 feet. From the time I jump in the water until I'm are back on the boat..... about 50 to 60 min. has gone by. (Depth and time in the water makes a big difference on deciding the type thickness and type)

I am looking at getting a custom suit at Aqua flite and I think I have convinced myself to get a full 5 mm jumpsuit.

In addition, my next trip is to Kona in April 08 and I expect the water to be about 75 F. To deal with this cooler water I plan to order my full 5mm suit with a 5 mm sleeveless jacket. (I like to stay away from hoods if I can help it).

So.... I personally don't think a 5/4 mm suit for Cozumel or Hawaii is out of the question. But you can always look at doing a combo like a full 3mm jumpsuit with a 3 mm sleeveless jacket which will give you options. You can where the 3 mm suit by itself or add the jacket for the times you are colder.

That is my two cents worth.

how can a 5mm suit ever be too much in terms of warmth? no one has ever been suffered from heat exhaustion wearing a wet suit in the water. if you truly felt uncomfortable - which you won't - you could just lift you neck seal and let some water in. someone mentioned this already in this thread but i have not ever met a diver who came up from a dive in a wetsuit and said i wish i had been cooler. the only possible downsides to a thicker wetsuit are price, difficulty in donning/doffing and less flexibility.

I have the Pinnacle Seal and I tend to get cold easy. In June or so I dove Florida in the Jupiter area. Temps were 81 at the surface and 79 at 70 feet or so. I was cold on the second dive with the Seal, 3mm gloves and 5mm booties. I don't remember if I was wearing my beanie.

For my next warm water trip I am planning on wearing a 5mm or thicker hood and bringing a 2mm or 3mm shorty to layer over the Seal if the hood is not enough...and maybe use 5mm gloves instead of 3mm. I think that would be cheaper than taking the loss on selling the Seal and buying a 5/4 or 5mm suit....plus I'd still probably end up buying a shorty for snorkeling.

I don't think the merino adds that much more warmth...if I were going to buy another 3mm suit then I would get the Breaker instead.

Those that have pinnacle merino, are they warmer like pinnacle claims? Pinnacle says a 3mm is like a 5mm. I may start a new thread (or search) for that question. It's sounding like a 5/4 is a safe way to go. It's a good point that a dive ends when your cold, but not when your warm.

My wife used the 5/4 meino suit during our liveaboard trip to Fiji (lots o dives) and it was the first time she never complained about be cold.

My son has the 3 mm merino suit and also loves it. Of Hawaii or any time the temps go sub-78 the 5/4 is a perfect options IMHO.

When we go to Florida in the winter months, I use my 7 mil....some people on the boat look at me funny, but I never get cold, and as stated I can always flush some water in the neck, besides like you it is either 7 mil or dry here so I figure why buy a suit I will wear once every 2 years?

My first warm water live aboard trip to Florida, 50 to 80ft depth, bottom temps 81* .. I started to get cool at end of first dive in my 3/2 full suit with 5mm boots but only thin reef gloves (kept staring at temp gage and thinking it doesn't feel like 81*, lol) I do remember feet felt comfy .. changed gloves to 3mm and made the rest of the dives that day (4 more) in comfort .. I could see a 5/4 suit being an advantage, you could wear thin gloves for better dextarity and/or thinner booties (not me, I like having "real" boots on) and add them back for cooler temps

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom