Is 5/4 Too Much For Florida/Hawaii/Cozumel? Poll added

Is 5/4 Too Much For Florida/Hawaii/Cozumel?

• 5/4 is Good for all (maybe warm on first dive)

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • 3mil Is Better Choice (with optional hood/hooded vest)

Votes: 11 42.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wear a 5mm in the warmer waters. Especially since my dives tend to run more than half an hour. I just get too cold otherwise.

I dove with a Seal 3mm merino in Coz last Dec. and Jan. and was okay but did start to get a little chilled during the afternoon dive #3. With no hood and the fact that you don't move much during a drift dive (other than with the current) it does get a bit chilly. If I were to buy again the option of the 5/4 would be spot on. I do find the suit to be quite well made and the prices you are quoting sound pretty good (I'm across the border in Ont. so pm me if you could with the location of your LDS who carries them....I suspect you are near Holland area?). The layering thing might also work but I'd be steering you toward the 5/4 and you can usually cool off under the water easier than heating up in my experience.

I'm off to HI Sunday and you can bet I'll have a 5 mil- when I first went all the stores told me 3 would be do the job, then once on the dive boat every shop employee had a 5 and some had hoods- As far as Cuzomel goes a 5 might be too much- good diving

it's very individual, but since you are from a colder place you will likely need less visiting a tropical place than someone who lives there all year - looking at what the DMs someplace wear doesn't mean much.

I can't imagine myself in a 5/4 any time of year in Coz, or much of the year in Florida or Hawaii (Saying Florida or Hawaii is to general though, since they have a pretty wide temperature range depending on time and place.) Yes you want to be warm enough, but there's also much to be said for the comfort of a thinner suit and using less lead.

as requested by OP - poll added

enjoy :D

The issue is your poll doesn't cover all options. The subtext of the 5/4 is that it's great for Hawaii, but most here don't consider it to be ideal for Coz. The 3mm, OTOH, is great for Coz but too cool for repetitive diving in Hawaii.

Guppie,

Go with the 5/4 or something warmer. On my first tropical trip (Cozumel) I wore a brand new suit my LDS recommended: a 3mm fullsuit. I froze within the first 20 minutes of each dive :( I sold that suit pretty soon after that trip.

All of my tropical trips since then (water temps between 78-86F) I've worn my 7/5 fullsuit (Pinnacle Elite). While sometimes it's a PITA to don the thicker suit, I'm rarely cold.

Have fun on your trip and stay warm!

When I got out of the water in Mexico (in the 5 mil suit) I was not hot. Despite surface temperatures of about 90 degrees, no wind, and very high humidity, I was comfortable while I took my gear off, gathered my clothes and went and changed. This surprised me, as I was afraid I would roast in the suit before and after the dive. It was much more pleasant than piling myself into my drysuit and multiple layers of undergarment on an 80 degree day in Seattle!

Back
Top Bottom