Is an integrated Oct reg BC a good idea or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a chance to use both before I bought. I was trained with the octo, and then borrowed an AIRII. At the end of the day I chose the AIR II because of the control features. I just liked the buttons better, AND I had one less hose to deal with. I still like it for all of those reasons. However, that being said, I kind of wish I had went with the octo and am now thinking of changing over to that. If you upgrade your BC, there is a chance it will not fit (particularly if you go with BP/W), and actually using the AIR II is a pain. I almost always swim a short ways on mine on each dive (and work buoyancy) and it always uncomfortable. Now I agree in a "normal" non overhead dive, you can usually surface immediately and comfort is not an issue, but if there is panic involved, I think comfort just might be one less contributor to the problem. Just me, and I probably didn't help you in the least. But I know I struggle with my decision, I wont say regret, but certainly having second thoughts. I have dove it for about 2 years now.

When I was first trained I saw the shop provided gear with an octo on a 39 inch hose going just about any where it wanted to. Shop did not have a good solution for storing and controlling them. It was not so much the one less hose than the elimination of an out of control hose that convinced us to go with Air2. My wife still loves hers. I then went through a number of gear changes including a BP/W and a 5' hose for my primary. In that process I became aware of the bungeed octo and that also looked good. But I did not have a need for it until I started solo diving and carrying a slung pony for backup. The Air2 and the Slung pony wanted the same space so I converted to the bungeed octo and have no regrets. The bungeed octo is under better control than the Air2 and it is a noticeably better performing regulator (you would have lots of choices from a performance standpoint). I do agree that I liked the controls on an Air2. So I switched out the standard inflator that comes on most wings for a Scubapro balanced ppower inflator - same inflator controls and operation as the Air2.

Also, sharing air with an Air2 during ascent is not at all difficult to manage - but it does require a bit more practice to master and retain the necessary skills.

1st, I think that any setup that uses the primary regulator to donate to the other diver in need the best. You know you are giving a good working regulator to somone that is going to be stressed. Doing that stops the spiral down for them.

You have to use any backup system you choose to stay current on gear and training and confirming that it works has to be part of every dive.

As far as cleaning up your profile with one less hose, take a look at that profile, you will see that is really a not a factor. Kind of like stowing the TV attenna on the Winnebago for highway driving.

I really don't see how that big honking Air II is more streamlined than a normal inflator that is the proper length and a bungied second or a octo that is thoughtfully stowed. That is my single biggest complaint on these things is they are so dang bulky. I have around 15 dives on BC's with Air II's and I can't stand them. Also, someone who advertises themselves in all their posts as a Scubapro dealer does not make me take their recommendations of everything SP very seriously. IMHO, you need to dive a few different setups before you commit to either an AIR II like device, normal octo or bungied second. You will be stuck with it once you buy it.

But is one more bulky than a std inflator, regular octo, and extra hose combined?

For me, yes. That is why I said my biggest complaint. Not everyone else's. I find I can deal with the smaller standard inflator and hose much easier that the bulky AIR II. The regular octo gets routed under the right arm and clipped off. That is more streamlined for me. For me, I do not like the AIR II because it is right by my left shoulder/chest area. I have two friends that I dive with that have them and they like them. I do not. Also, being an engineer by trade, I usually go for the simplest solution with the fewest parts that can fail. As I said, I really think the OP should borrow/rent both setups and try them out on dives before buying one or the other.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom