Is leisurepro.com the best place to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knight1989:
I've used LP for a few of my purchases. Sometimes they have the best deal, sometimes with some good online research I can find something that beats them. I do however make sure I get all thier catologs. I dont have an LDS so any purchase I make has to be from the internet or when on vaction. Never had a problem at all with LP. If I find the best deal at LP, they get my buisness.

If you are certain that you'll never need a repair, how is that possible?, then it's fine to buy your gear at Leisure Pro. If you want to roll the dice on your life suppport gear then go ahead. But when you need a repair, not maintenance, then your initial savings goes out the window. Example: I bought my puter at an authorized dealer and it failed on a dive. I called Oceanic and they said send it back with the original sales receipt from an authorized dealer and we'll replace it with a brand new one. They did just that. A few months later while diving in Saba I noticed that I was not getting ambient temperature or water temp. I called to ask if that meant anything. They said,[ now they had a file on me and knew I purchased from an authorized dealer ], let's not play around with it. Send it back and we'll look at it. I got another new puter back in the mail a week later. Try doing that with a dive puter purchased at Leisure Pro. BTW, would you want your dive puter fixed by them, or the people that MADE THE PUTER? Your choice.

GOAT:
good points pilot fish, but i place my faith in the manufactures and not the retailer. If i were to buy a reg from LP (which i won't) and it brakes, then I'll see what they (LP) can do and how much hastle it's going to be. If it's too much hassle i would drive to my nearest LDS and ask them to fix it.

Just my thought process about the whole thing: BUY the PRODUCT and not the Store.

Don't get me wrong, service is GREAT. But if i can get a reg that is twice as good as a cheap one for the same price.... well.... I'll take the better product and worry about the service latter.

But people probably shouldn't listen to me or any advice that I give :p

But an authorized retailer sends it back to the Mfg and it's fixed under warranty at no cost, or replaced free of charge. Not so with life support gear purchased at Leisure Pro.

Here's what you do today, call the maker of your reg and ask what happens to gear purchased from Leisure Pro? Let us know what they say?

pilot fish:
But an authorized retailer sends it back to the Mfg and it's fixed under warranty at no cost, or replaced free of charge. Not so with life support gear purchased at Leisure Pro.

That is basically what LP did with a friends Aeris computer when it had problems. However, service was quite slow. I suspect LP sends the failed merchandise back to the mfgr thru the same source LP acquired it from - which probably means a trip back across the Atlantic. While it took months, the failed computer was ultimately repalced with a newer model.

Pilot Fish, they would probably say, "sorry, you're SOL". Then I would call my LDS and say "hey, fix my ________ " and they would say "OK".

:p

GOAT:
Pilot Fish, they would probably say, "sorry, you're SOL". Then I would call my LDS and say "hey, fix my ________ " and they would say "OK".

:p

True, but you would be shocked when you got the bill. All your "savings," you think you got from Leisure Pro, would vanish, real fast :)

pilot fish:
True, but you would be shocked when you got the bill. All your "savings," you think you got from Leisure Pro, would vanish, real fast :)

Sounds like you're saying that IF you have a problem with your gear, you might end up breaking even.

I don't think I have a warranty for anything but my drysuit... some because I bought from non LDS sources (used, IDS, eBay, etc) and some because I often just don't bother with warranty cards. Any time I've had a problem, any one of the several shops I frequent has been more than happy to charge me a reasonable rate for repairs.

MSilvia:
Sounds like you're saying that IF you have a problem with your gear, you might end up breaking even.

I don't think I have a warranty for anything but my drysuit... some because I bought from non LDS sources (used, IDS, eBay, etc) and some because I often just don't bother with warranty cards. Any time I've had a problem, any one of the several shops I frequent has been more than happy to charge me a reasonable rate for repairs.

No, not exactly, you would pay much more for any repair that required parts which would exceed what you saved on the purchase. If you are sure your stuff would never need repair or maintenance then LP is the place to buy. It's a gamble. I don't really bother with warranty cards either, on small things. The dive shop will send your warranty in for you, plus if you produce proof that you bought it at an authorized dealer they,mfg, will honor it. Again, just to satisfy your own curiosity, call the maker of your dive puter and reg and see what they say. Simply ask your dive shop. All my repairs were done free of charge

pilot fish:
No, not exactly, you would pay much more for any repair that required parts which would exceed what you saved on the purchased. If you are sure your stuff would never need repair or maintenance then LP is the place to buy. It's a gamble. I don't really bother with warranty cards either, on small things. The dive shop will send your warranty in for you, plus if you produce proof that you bought it at an authorized dealer they,mfg, will honor it. Again, just to satisfy your own curiosity, call the maker of your dive puter and reg and see what they say. Simply ask your dive shop. All my repairs were done free of charge

Pilotfish, you are basing your argument on a premise, not a fact. You have no idea what it will cost to repair either a computer or a regulator. A number of different things can go wrong with either piece of equipment. Each one costs a different amount, an o-ring replacement is sometimes the fix and that might cost $20, but a full diaphragm replacement might cost as much as you paid for the regulator. How can you say that a broken piece of equipment, that is, if it breaks, it will cost you more than the price you saved. Who's to say that it will break, and who's to say how much it costs to repair it? I would have a little more faith in your premise if you were an authorized repair technician working at either a dive shop or a manufacturer. Is that the case? Otherwise, your experiences don't amount to across-the-board truths. If you have an opinion, that is fine, it is more than welcomed here, but don't spout out your "ideas" as if they are fact. Please consider this a helpful discussion and not an argument. If you find people are making unwise decisions by purchasing life-support gear as you call it without a warranty, then it is okay to say that you believe they are being unwise. Are these people any less safe underwater than you are? I don't think so, they are just more likely to have to spend money out of the water to make repairs. I don't consider my computer life-support gear either. If you are relying on your computer to save your life, you have forgotten your dive training. My point is, your regulator is just as likely to fail as the one purchased at LeisurePro. They come from the same place. LeisurePro isn't allowed to offer the manufacturers warranty because they sell the products at such a discount. So what's with the emphasis on life-support gear having a warranty. That warranty will not save your life. It may only save you some money. It may also cost the same in the end. In my experience, I bought my computer at 1/2 the price it was for sale at my dive shop and if it does break, I can buy another computer to replace it and will have just matched the price of one dive computer at my dive shop. Would you make that purchase?

osujamesc:
Pilotfish, you are basing your argument on a premise, not a fact. You have no idea what it will cost to repair either a computer or a regulator. A number of different things can go wrong with either piece of equipment. Each one costs a different amount, an o-ring replacement is sometimes the fix and that might cost $20, but a full diaphragm replacement might cost as much as you paid for the regulator. How can you say that a broken piece of equipment, that is, if it breaks, it will cost you more than the price you saved. Who's to say that it will break, and who's to say how much it costs to repair it? I would have a little more faith in your premise if you were an authorized repair technician working at either a dive shop or a manufacturer. Is that the case? Otherwise, your experiences don't amount to across-the-board truths. If you have an opinion, that is fine, it is more than welcomed here, but don't spout out your "ideas" as if they are fact. Please consider this a helpful discussion and not an argument. If you find people are making unwise decisions by purchasing life-support gear as you call it without a warranty, then it is okay to say that you believe they are being unwise. Are these people any less safe underwater than you are? I don't think so, they are just more likely to have to spend money out of the water to make repairs. I don't consider my computer life-support gear either. If you are relying on your computer to save your life, you have forgotten your dive training. My point is, your regulator is just as likely to fail as the one purchased at LeisurePro. They come from the same place. LeisurePro isn't allowed to offer the manufacturers warranty because they sell the products at such a discount. So what's with the emphasis on life-support gear having a warranty. That warranty will not save your life. It may only save you some money. It may also cost the same in the end. In my experience, I bought my computer at 1/2 the price it was for sale at my dive shop and if it does break, I can buy another computer to replace it and will have just matched the price of one dive computer at my dive shop. Would you make that purchase?

Fine. You can buy your gear from whomever you want to. This is a free and open society and we can all buy our gear from whomever we please. If you feel safe and confident with your online purchases from unauthorized merchants who are not members of the diving community, then who am I to argue? Be safe.

I was looking at a transpac harness from LP, and they have an excellent price of 169 comapared to scubatoys 318, so I looked at the DiveRite website and found this:

THESE ARE NOT AUTHORIZED DIVE RITE DEALERS. ScubaDiscount.com (Tech section dacordistributors.com), Leisure Pro, and Affordable Scuba (www.absolutescubadivingequipment.com) are featuring Dive Rite products and copyright protected images on their web sites and/or catalogs without our consent, they claim to have aquired our products from authorized Dive Rite dealers--third party sales are not authorized and are not eligible for Dive Rite warranty protection.

Not only are ScubaDiscount.com (Tech section dacordistributors.com), Leisure Pro, and Affordable Scuba (www.absolutescubadivingequipment.com) NOT authorized Dive Rite dealers, they used Dive Rite's copyrighted product images without our knowledge or permission.
Obviously, ScubaDiscount.com (Tech section dacordistributors.com), Leisure Pro, and Affordable Scuba (www.absolutescubadivingequipment.com) are not authorized Dive Rite dealers. Any products you purchase from them are not eligible for Dive Rite warranty protection.

BEWARE OF PURCHASING DIVE RITE PRODUCTS ON EBAY. We do not authorize any dealers to sell Dive Rite products on eBay and third party sales are not authorized therefore are not eligible for Dive Rite warranty protection. The product could be a second or factory defect. There is no manufacturers warranty on products purchased via eBay.

UNAUTHORIZED DIVE RITE RESELLERS The businesses listed below are not authorized Dive Rite dealers. Dive Rite items purchased through such resellers do not qualify for warranty coverage.

• Affordable Scuba (www.absolutescubadivingequipment.com), Middleburg, FL
• ScubaDiscount.com (Tech section dacordistributors.com), Texas
• Leisure Pro, New York
• Creative Sports, New York
• Paradise Dive, Inc., New York
• Sunshine Sports, New York
• Park Slope Scuba, New York

Please note that the businesses whose names appear above do not represent the total list of unauthorized Dive Rite resellers -- only those of which we are currently aware. If you are aware of a business you suspect is not an authorized Dive Rite dealer, please let us know

AS A FINAL MEANS of protecting yourself, before you purchase a Dive Rite light system, dive computer or BC, be certain that:

• An up-to-date owner's manual accompanies the product.

Ryan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom