Is leisurepro.com the best place to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

286571455:
LP is a LDS in New York City I have been in there store.

NO they are NOT! Since you have been to their store, you claim, can you describe that store and what the people in it looked like? Did any of the personnel in that store tell you they were divers?

Since many of the salesmen in that store are on the computer taking phone orders I would not put it past them to access this, and other Scuba Boards, and post here as divers to spread misinformation about the merits of LeisurePro.

Pilot Fish, why do you have such an issue with Leisure-Pro?

And what was so fuzzy about my math?

RonFrank:
Why would you think that LP could NOT obtain work from the original manufacture, or an authorized dealer? Who do you think that LP is purchasing from if NOT an authorized dealer? According to sources on this board in the manufacturing lines, LP get's their gear from none other than Authorized dealers. It would follow that they have a VERY good realationship with not just one, but MANY MANY such dealers.

I would bet if a product was in need of repair that was beyond them, they would just replace it, and send the defective unit back to one of their sources for repair, and resale as used, or markdown merchandise.

Why would you assume LP does there own repair on everything, and even if they do, why would you believe that they could not find qualified personal to do said repair. Regardless of how people feel about LP, they are likely the largest scuba equipment dealer in the world. That did NOT happen without some SERIOUS inside connections.

One thing people never question is why if LP is so bad for LDS's then why do the LDS's supply them? The answer may seem obvious, but is that not a bit like the Rabbits in the Book "Watership Down".

Ron
"Why would you think that LP could NOT obtain work from the original manufacture, or an authorized dealer? Who do you think that LP is purchasing from if NOT an authorized dealer? "Ron

They cannot obtain work/repairs from the mfg because they are NOT an authorized dealer. That fact has already been established. Call Suunto, Oceanic, ScubaPro, to name a few, to verify this yourself. That way you don't have to take my word for it.Yes, then can obtain gear from an authorized dealer that is going out of business but once the chain of authorized ownership is broken, when they buy it on the open market, liqiudations etc, the gear is NOT recognized by mfg as authorized. There has to be a very legitimate reason why manufactureres will not authorize them.

The Kraken:
Pilot Fish, why do you have such an issue with Leisure-Pro?

And what was so fuzzy about my math?

Because, Kraken, they are not divers, not good for the sport, not part of the sport, spread misinformation about their repairs and warranties and the places they obtian the gear they vend on the Internet.

Geez, the gal at Sears who sold me my lawn mower lives in an apartment and has never used a lawn mower in her life . . . . ?

I quote you, " . . . spread misinformation about their repairs and warranties and the places they obtian the gear they vend on the Internet."

I quote directly from the Leisure-Pro catalog,
in re acquisition:
" * LeisurePro buyers travel worldwide to acquire the finest products at the lowest prices possible. Since, on some of the itmes we do not buy directly from the manufacturer, nor are we authorized by such manufacturers to sell their products, so we are not bound by the official/unofficial manufacturer's suggested retail price and can pass on the tremendous savings to you, our valued cusomer."

in re warranties:
" Warranty Information: Equipment purchased may be warantied by the manufacturer, the distributor as indicated on the limited warranty supplied with the merchandise, or Leisure Pro. Some states do not allow limitations on implied warranties, so the above may not apply to you."

in re repairs/service:
" * LeisurePro offers full service on all brand names. Our service technicians are mong the best in the business and are experienced in all types of equipment."

Where lies the misinformation?

The Kraken:
Geez, the gal at Sears who sold me my lawn mower lives in an apartment and has never used a lawn mower in her life . . . . ?

I quote you, " . . . spread misinformation about their repairs and warranties and the places they obtian the gear they vend on the Internet."

I quote directly from the Leisure-Pro catalog,
in re acquisition:
" * LeisurePro buyers travel worldwide to acquire the finest products at the lowest prices possible. Since, on some of the itmes we do not buy directly from the manufacturer, nor are we authorized by such manufacturers to sell their products, so we are not bound by the official/unofficial manufacturer's suggested retail price and can pass on the tremendous savings to you, our valued cusomer."

in re warranties:
" Warranty Information: Equipment purchased may be warantied by the manufacturer, the distributor as indicated on the limited warranty supplied with the merchandise, or Leisure Pro. Some states do not allow limitations on implied warranties, so the above may not apply to you."

in re repairs/service:
" * LeisurePro offers full service on all brand names. Our service technicians are mong the best in the business and are experienced in all types of equipment."

Where lies the misinformation?

A lawn mower is not a life support piece of gear.

"nor are we authorized by such manufacturers to sell their products" hellooooooooooooooooooooooo??????????????????????????

This is really getting funny.

So, is this "misinformation"? Sounds pretty much like there telling the prospective customer the truth to me. Doesn't it to you?

They state, in black and white, that they are not an authorized distributor for some manufacturers, how can this be "misinformation"? I'm really at a loss here. . .

The Kraken:
So, is this "misinformation"? Sounds pretty much like there telling the prospective customer the truth to me. Doesn't it to you?

The state, in black and white, that they are not an authorized distributor for some manufacturers, how can this be "misinformation"? I'm really at a loss here. . .

I know you are. Let me try to explain. The misinfo is that their repairs are as good as MFG, that rerpairs are done in timely manner and they are part of the dive community. It was just recently that the fact they were NOT authorized dealers has come to light. A lot of divers thought they were. Why do you think MFG will not authorize them?

You asked me why I was against them, so let me ask you. Why are you defending them so vigorously when they are not part of the dive community?

pilot fish:
NO they are NOT! Since you have been to their store, you claim, can you describe that store and what the people in it looked like? Did any of the personnel in that store tell you they were divers?

Since many of the salesmen in that store are on the computer taking phone orders I would not put it past them to access this, and other Scuba Boards, and post here as divers to spread misinformation about the merits of LeisurePro.

Just thought that I'd add my 2 cents here. I have actually been to their store on 42 West 18th street. If you go by their website's description "Leisure pro invites you to visit our beautiful showroom situated in the heart of Manhattan, just off 5th Avenue". You'd expect a massive airy showroom. In fact you go through a door beside their camera shop and take an elevator to the third floor. The showroom is fairly small with most of their products in storage it seems and some on display, but I suppose rent in Manhattan in astronomical. Definetly not as advertised though.

Anyway my impressions as a new diver (7months certified) buying a BC, open heel fins, soft weights and other accessories is that they aren't divers. I've been in other dive shops and the friendly banter that usually occurs when you tell them what kind of gear you're interested in and what kind of diving you do didn't occur. In fact when I mentioned that I'm Jamaican, live and dive in Jamaica a destination generally not frequented by divers going to the Caribbean it was met with blank stares. So no I don't think they're divers themselves.

As for the company itself though, I'm a little ambivalent towards them. The prices can't be beat true and frankly that's what made my dive gear purchases possible. However they're other websites with an actual physical presence, prices that are comparable (slightly more perhaps) and actually have manufacturer warranties and salespeople with more than a perfunctory interest and knowledge of the gear that they're selling. In future though I think I'll patronise scubatoys as they meet all of the above criteria.

I rarely ever buy anything from LP - only when I can't find it at the LDS, because I believe the LDS is worth keeping around. But LP's getting unfairly bashed here...

pilot fish:
The misinfo is that their repairs are as good as MFG
Do you have a specific example where their repairs are not? If you're going to make the charge, back it up.

pilot fish:
that rerpairs are done in timely manner
Do you have a specific example where they aren't - considering that you have shipping in both directions?

pilot fish:
and they are part of the dive community...they are not part of the dive community
What does that mean? Who decides? What does it matter? They sure sell a lot of dive gear...

pilot fish:
It was just recently that the fact they were NOT authorized dealers has come to light
It is and has been common knowledge in the dive community for years that LP is not an authorized dealer for much of the stuff they sell. It's been said countless times on Scubaboard. I think I brought it up in reference to Dive-Rite at least three years ago.

pilot fish:
A lot of divers thought they were.
Whose fault is that?

pilot fish:
Why do you think MFG will not authorize them?
Because LP won't honor manufacturer's price-fixing or in-store-only sales policies.
---
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom