Is leisurepro.com the best place to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liesure Pro may not be the place for a newbie who needs advice on what to buy and why and how it works etc since they aren't divers and can't contribute much. But for divers who service their own gear and have more experience than most dive shop technicians...it's a geat place because it offers the same gear for lower prices. What's good for some isn't for others. That doesn't make them bad, does it?

They cannot obtain work/repairs from the mfg because they are NOT an authorized dealer. That fact has already been established. Call Suunto, Oceanic, ScubaPro, to name a few, to verify this yourself. That way you don't have to take my word for it.Yes, then can obtain gear from an authorized dealer that is going out of business but once the chain of authorized ownership is broken, when they buy it on the open market, liqiudations etc, the gear is NOT recognized by mfg as authorized. There has to be a very legitimate reason why manufactureres will not authorize them.

They certainly CAN obtain the work. They may have to PAY for it.

Anyone can send a product to a manufacture for repair (assuming they do repairs on said product). The ONLY thing that the warranty provides is FREE repairs.

The second thing I think you do not realize is that LP is NOT just purchasing from Authorized dealers that are going out of business. They purchase from dealers that PLACE orders with the intent to sell to LP. If LP purchased a BCD from GreatWhiteShark diveshop, and then sold it to a customer, and it was defective, there is a VERY good chance that GreatWhite will take the BCD back from LP, and send it back to the original manufacture as a defect for replacement.

In any event, the ONLY thing being an authorized dealer buys is Warranty service, and potentially better service in general from a manufacture. LP is not doing anything illegal. I'm very certain that most manufactures will be more than happy to repair a product for a price.

Ron

pilot fish:
Mike, if you found out that none of the staff at Leisure Pro were divers, would that change your opinion on buying dive gear from them? The staff at their store consists of 3 to 4 men on phones and computers, fielding orders on the Internet.One guy can help you if you buy at the store, while the others stay on the puters and phones.

When asked if they were divers at the store they said yes but when I asked to see a C card, or where they dove, he admitted they were not divers. The shop, such as it is, is about the size of your kitchen and living room. [edited:]The staff and owner do not dive due to religious reasons. [/edited] They have no pool, or instructors. I know this because they told me and I was there to see it. Contrast that with ScubaToys, who are divers and part of the sport of diving, AND HAVE INSTRUCTORS AND A POOL.

Your choice, fellow divers

Perhaps it is time to close this thread. No more new information is coming out of this discussion. PilotFish keeps declaring that he knows the background of every single employee at LeisurePro well enough to state that they are not divers. While I don't argue that it is not only possible but likely that no one on the LeisurePro staff has a C-Card, I cannot say that it is true. You have failed in asserting your logic because there is no proof other than a feeling you get about the 3-4 guys you've seen in the LeisurePro Dive Shop in Manhattan. Your feelings are not useful in this discussion when you claim them to be facts. No one is even asking if the staff at leisurepro dives or not. We are discussing as the begining of this thread states

"Is leisurepro.com the best place to buy?"

You have missed the point and have gone into what is seemingly a rampage against LeisurePro. When people ask you to back up your statements that you claim to be true, you reply with your opinions and not facts. This is not useful. Please understand that I am not being argumentative or agressive and you should not take this personally, I just feel that we need to refocus this discussion and base it on facts. If it is an opinion, label it as such. For example:

"It is my opinion that leisurepro is not a safe place to buy gear. The following personal experience I had with them is how I came to this opinion...."

I hope you understand what I am saying. I feel that your opinions are valuable, but please don't try to pass them as facts. It isn't right or just.

I have purchased expensive items from LeisurePro in the past. I have just purchased a dive computer for $350. If you had evidence that would lead me to believe that my purchases make my diving unsafe, then I am extremely interested. If you are just going to tell me that the guy you met in the store was rude, so my gear is unsafe, I'm not interested what so ever. My examples are extreme, but I am trying to explain why you may be getting so much backlash from your posts.

If we cannot be reasonable about this discussion, this thread should be closed. If we can refocus on the topic, I would like to know if there is some factual evidence that makes products purchased from LeisurePro.com unsafe and thus making it not the best place to buy.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me if the people selling me dive gear have ever actually been in the water. I take a lot of pride in doing my own research on products. Taking the lawnmower example, when I go to sears, I know more about the lawnmower that I am going to buy than the sales lady who doesn't have a lawn. I usually know more about the lawnmower than the guy who has been cutting his own lawn for 40 years. I make myself a smart consumer and thus put the responsibility in my own hands. If you are relying on the guy at your local dive shop to suggest the right regulator for you, it is my opinion that you are likely to be disappointed in most cases. You may have had different experiences, but I don't like relying on the used car salesman to pick out a car for me. I like to pick out the car that's right for me. I have made mistakes with my purchases, but I have no one to blame but myself. That is the way that I like it.

Dive on,
James

I just got a large order from LP. Cheap, fast, no problems. All products are new and in perfect condition. man.... i sure hate that i saved about $250.

i love to order stuff from LP for my friends. they think you're the greatest person in the world for getting them such cheap stuff. (gotta love the favors they owe you).

**i still prefer scubatoys over anyone :wink: but i am an internet buyer, if it's on the net, and i want it, it'll be bought.

I asked if you had examples to support your claims... Instead, I got

pilot fish:
I'm at an unfair advantage discussing this with you. You have the power to pull any of my posts you don't think have any value, as you did with my thread on Leisure Pro this morning, so I'll just let my previous posts on this topic speak to your questions. Asked and answered.

I'll take that as a no.
Rick

pilot fish:
Mike, if you found out that none of the staff at Leisure Pro were divers, would that change your opinion on buying dive gear from them? The staff at their store consists of 3 to 4 men on phones and computers, fielding orders on the Internet.One guy can help you if you buy at the store, while the others stay on the puters and phones.

First off, my opinion of buying from LP is not under discussion.

You have made many claims against LP that you don't seem to be able to support.

I want to know why you seem to have a vendetta against LP?
Feel free to respond in PM if you don't think it should be out on the board. However, I think your motivations are a valid question in this thread as you are expending a LOT of energy posting about LP.

Divemaster-K:
I refuse to limit my diving enjoyment/equipment list to support LDS. There are plenty of LDS that now offer online sales as well as excellent service such as San Diego's Scuba Destination (www.scubadestination.com). These guys offer the best of both worlds: a local shop run by divers with internet pricing. If your local shop hasn't jumped in the game, it's their fault. Everything must evolve: equipment, policies,... suppliers.

Note: Buyer beware! Steer clear of e-shops on such sites as Ebay, these most certainly do not offer service/warranties.

Just so you know...scubadestination operates sales on eBay...I know I got a new wrist compass from them :)

Paul in VT

I see similarities between PF's claims of the LP staff not being divers and some of the members of this board. You know, the ones that claim to be experts, but only dive a couple of times a year. Perhaps we should no longer listen to this sort of cyberdiver. Am I right Pilot Fish?

OE2X:
I see similarities between PF's claims of the LP staff not being divers and some of the members of this board. You know, the ones that claim to be experts, but only dive a couple of times a year. Perhaps we should no longer listen to this sort of cyberdiver. Am I right Pilot Fish?

Not totally sure if you are saying that *I* am claiming to be an expert? There is no post of mine on this board where I make that claim. But I can tell you, if someone is not a diver and tries to BS that he is, I think I could tell. Now, if you don't want to listen to any diver on this board that dives a few times a year, 30 to 40 dives per year, you might not be talking to about 75% of this board.

Since we are talking about cyberdivers, wouldn't that really be merchants that are selling dive gear on the Internet and do not have C cards, or have never even gotten wet in sea water? :wink:

osujamesc:
Perhaps it is time to close this thread. No more new information is coming out of this discussion. PilotFish keeps declaring that he knows the background of every single employee at LeisurePro well enough to state that they are not divers. While I don't argue that it is not only possible but likely that no one on the LeisurePro staff has a C-Card, I cannot say that it is true. You have failed in asserting your logic because there is no proof other than a feeling you get about the 3-4 guys you've seen in the LeisurePro Dive Shop in Manhattan. Your feelings are not useful in this discussion when you claim them to be facts. No one is even asking if the staff at leisurepro dives or not. We are discussing as the begining of this thread states

"Is leisurepro.com the best place to buy?"

You have missed the point and have gone into what is seemingly a rampage against LeisurePro. When people ask you to back up your statements that you claim to be true, you reply with your opinions and not facts. This is not useful. Please understand that I am not being argumentative or agressive and you should not take this personally, I just feel that we need to refocus this discussion and base it on facts. If it is an opinion, label it as such. For example:

"It is my opinion that leisurepro is not a safe place to buy gear. The following personal experience I had with them is how I came to this opinion...."

I hope you understand what I am saying. I feel that your opinions are valuable, but please don't try to pass them as facts. It isn't right or just.

I have purchased expensive items from LeisurePro in the past. I have just purchased a dive computer for $350. If you had evidence that would lead me to believe that my purchases make my diving unsafe, then I am extremely interested.

Dive on,
James

What dive computer did you buy, James? I'll see what I can find out for you.What you'd want to know, aside from warranty issues, which it seems are not a concern of yours, is if that unit was made in Europe, has European parts, and can be serviced here, if it ever needs to be. If it has non-interchangable Europena parts it might take you several months to get a repair, if ever you needed one. If your unit NEVER malfunctions, or has a warranty issue, you will have zero problems.

Safe diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom