Just certified I want gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I may have missed it, but here's a vote for Dive Right In Scuba - that's my go to online store. If they don't sell it, I try Cave Adventurers and Dive Seekers. Then of course there's Leisure Pro and Scuba Toys.

You also don't have to buy everything at once. I think it's best to start off with at least your own fins and mask. Next, I'd say safety equipment: SMB (surface marker buoy), whistle, mirror, cutting device (shears, line cutter, knife), and a compass. Then a BC, it's nice to be comfortable/familiar with your setup - knowing where all your pockets, latches, clips, straps, buckles, stuff, etc. is - and it doesn't change every time you go diving! Then I'd go for some regulators (including SPG (submersible pressure gauge)), and save the computer for last (if you learned the tables) - I look at computers as a convenience, not as a necessity, and the computer is a backup to my own brain, not the other way around.

Also, if you can hold off till Thanksgiving, there are some AMAZING black friday sales to be had!! I think I picked up my HOG regulator set (1 1st stage, 2 2nd stages, SPG, DIN to yoke converter, and all hoses) for less than 400. Try getting just 1 reg of another brand for that price!!

Welcome to the sport! Welcome to ScubaBoard! Safe diving to you!

---------- Post Merged at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:47 PM ----------

On some of the equipment, they stated they are not authorized retailers, so there is no manufacturer's warranty.

True, but they typically replace that warranty with a similar (if not identical) one of their own. ...but then of course, you'll have to get it serviced by them, you can't walk into any authorized shop. Still, like Cindy said, read the fine print!

I bought a package similar to the Oceanic you are looking at for similar reasons but it came with the Oceanic Cruz BCD. It came with the same regs, which I'm happy with so far. The primary breathes considerably nicer than the octo and DVT on the first stage is a nice feature IMHO.

The VEO 1.0 is a very functional basic dive computer. It is easy to use, nitrox compatible, and like I said, functional. What I don't like about it is the one button feature makes it slow to cycle through the menu's and make adjustments with. This becomes very obvious when looking back at the dive log feature or playing with the nitrox / po2 settings.

The Probe BCD looks similar to the Cruz BCD but it has metal d-rings on both shoulders where mine only has it on the right side. I'm finding the pockets are nice in a sense that I can stash a flashlight, SMB, whistle, mirror, small writing slate, foot long sandwich and a coke in them but actually getting all of that out efficiently is a little bit of a challenge.

Integrated weights are the greatest thing since sliced bread IMHO because I have a snake butt and can't keep a weight belt on to save my life but...they take up pocket space as they ride just below the pocket and you'll find that the weights bulge up into the pocket so you need to load the weights and then put your stuff in otherwise it is near impossible to get the weight pocket back in...This has caused me problems....

I do like having my own gear as I know what kind of shape it is in and how it was taken care of. I can look it over at my leisure before I leave to go diving and spot anything that might be a problem before I leave the house.

All that said even though I like my BCD and I'm going to use it until I find a solid reason not to I kind of like the idea of back plate and wing because they seem so modular, not that I need that at this time but greater depths and longer bottom times call, it seems inescapable....

Lastly I would check local dive shops. I ordered off the net but I live overseas and there is no true local dive shops, I get beat up on the exchange rate, and I did I mention I really get beat up on the exchange rate. Shipping and handling was cheap in comparison for me...Normally I'm all about the local small business though when I'm back home in the States. Just ask if they can price match or come close and if they can't ask why not, there may be a good reason for it!

Hello all, first post! I just received my PADI OW cert the other day and I'm addicted now! I want to buy my own gear, but it is quite expensive. I have looked in the LDS and that is where it is extremely expensive. I have also researched online and found some packages from Leisure pro.
Sherwood Holiday Package

Oceanic Complete Package

Cressi Open Water Package

I was wondering if you could take a look at these and tell me if they are good or not! If these are no good could you recommend another good package?

Also, would you jump right into AOW or would you do some easy dives on your own first?
Thanks!

To answer your Q - cressi - its the cheapest and its good enough.

Sheerwood does have a computer - but is it a nitrox computer? I doubt it = you may end up being a nitrox diver.

Oceanic is just more expensive option and I get the feeling you are concerned about the price. You should be - diving can get expensive.

AS for the Q you haven't asked - read the posts by diversteve and Jim... I think they cover everything.

Look for used dive set - if it is serviced it is good enough - My first set was for around $400 (used and included tanks!!!) I have since then moved on but still have all of my first kit.

Look for other websites aswell, scubatoys has packages as well which may include all the essentials including fins and mask.

Buy some - rent some.

You are off to a good start - you posted for advice on scubaboard - if you get to know divers in your neighborhood they can be invaluable. Join a club if you can.

You can read gear reviews on many different brands of gear at Your Scuba Reviews Scuba diving, scuba gear reviews, scuba diving tra, there is also a buying your 1st set up gear article.

YOUR FIRST SET OF GEAR

I stray away from packages because I like one brand BC, one brand regulator and perhaps a different brand computer. If you have the opportunity to rent a couple different types of BC's that will help you decide which you like better. I purchased a cheap regulator when I was first certified and then ended up buying the more expensive one I really wanted 8 months later so buying what you really want the first time around can be less expensive in the long run.

As far as AOW - I would always suggest get more dives in before signing up for the class assuming you are comfortable/confident enough to go out and make dives without a DM or instructor. Then you will be more comfortable during your AOW class and learn more as you will be focusing on learning the new skills rather than getting comfortable with the basic diving skills you just learned. Enjoy and welcome to the world of diving!

I am a big fan of trying stuff before buying, and that is only possible through your LDS.

I'd hold off on buying a package. Like most have said, I'd look around and try stuff out before I bought anything. I went out and bought a package from my LDS as I was going through the class, and I loved it all. Slowly I began to realize the route I'd like to take diving and gear wise, I preferred the BP/W over the BCD styles now. Looking back, I could have saved a lot of money holding out, but I was so set on wanting my own gear that I didn't bother researching it too well. I'd imagine you could save money by piecing together quality gear off something like the swap meet here.

My LDS was pretty easy going and would let me try stuff on before I purchased any of it. That's the bottom line, getting whatever you're the most comfortable in, even if it's a little more than what you're looking at spending right away. If you'd need to save it until the next pay check, then do it, it will be well worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom