Lake Pleasant Conditions II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd be afraid of being run over at humbug. Probably get my flag stolen too. I guess I could leave someone on the boat and follow the anchor line. Maybe a good idea for the winter. Any idea how deep the water is there?

Jeff

Humbug is up at the north end of the lake.. Everybody goes there to party.. Mucho people, much boats, mucho fun. Probably not the SAFEST place to dive.

Thanks...I just wasn't sure where that was!!!

I'm sure it's not party central on during the week...but because of it's "party" atmosphere, there is bound to be goodies at the bottom. :)

STV_Keith:
Being a boater, and knowing a lot of my friends boat to and hang out in Humbug...do you guys ever dive Humbug? GOT to be a ton of stuff on the bottom there. Just curious.
I've heard of divers going there to scavenge. The last time I was on a DDII in one of the northern coves we found 4 anchors, about 10 pair of sunglasses, 2 fishing poles, that's all I remember, there were divers there on other boats just to scavenge dive wasn't Humbug as far as I am aware though.

I always thought Humbug might be an interesting dive-there has got to be a fortune in aluminum alone from all the beer cans on the bottom. Not to mention other valuables lost from the many boaters that are usually in less than a fully cognizant state-I guessing mainly bikini tops.

The problem is the water is nasty back there. Not just from all the boat activity but a lot of surface debris that collects back in that part of the lake. Last time I was back there, there were wood chips, leaves, and wild burro turds floating back there. If you were to ever to pickup a waterborn illness from Lake Pleasant it will be residing in Humbug Cove.

Having said that, the main area where the boaters anchor has a wide depth range. As of three weeks ago there is a reef marker in the center of the channel with depths of less than 5 feet to well over 50 + not to far from that position-depending on water level. If the viz were to come back and you could make a trip out on, say and Wendsday or Thursday morning it might be an interesting dive. Who knows.

'Bob

Lake%20Pleasant%20Humbug%20Cove.jpg

Dove with Jeff this morning at the sinkhole by burro island, viz was ok, opened up to 10ft above 20-25ft at some spots and got bad below that, mostly it comes and goes in patches. Saw a nice school of striped bass that followed us for a while, catfish, carp and quite a bit small fish; Also found a watch(not the expensive ones, but works ok!)
I wanted to try dirty shirt but it's all fenced now including the wall, can't tell you how bad that feels, one of the best spots gone!!!
Anyway, had a good time.
Keep diving,
Andres

My fiance and I hit LP on Labor Day Weeked.....ya I know....Terrible, but she just got a new BC and had to check it out.

We dove just east of 10 lane, just down from the rocks. Water temps were great, dove comefortably in shorts and a rash guard. visability at 15' was about 5', got very murky below that.

That being said, where is everyone diving latley? With dirty shirt gone I am not too sure what else is around besides vista.

Well w.ent out the the lake to day to do some diving and I would have to say that I have never seen the level in a lake drop that fast, i was there two weeks ago and I swear it is like 30-40 feet lower then it was then. Vista point is basiclaly useless to dive at unless you want to get in the water with boat traffic, scorpion well that is closed and Desert Tortoise was insane with people fishing and boating, saw two dive flags in the water but pulled out the thumb and went home. No diving for this guy at the lake with those conditions for the next few months.

Any idea when the level of the lake starts to rise?

Steve

I imagine they have lowered the water level to assist with the construction at Dirty Shirt, I believe they are puttin in another marina.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom