Leisure Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Footslogger:
==================================
What are his complaints ?? Same computer ?? Yours works and his has problems that LP won't fix ??

'Slogger
We went to LDS together. I wanted a cobra and he wanted a smartcom. My Lds gave him a price. He went home and thought about it and instead of giving the lds a chance to match, $60 diff. he bought it. When he got it, it had 23 dives on it. Also, he did not realize that to change the settings on it, he would have to get something for his laptop. Extra $100 and a trip across town. He was too embarassed to go back to LDS who would have helped with all the settings right there. The battery also showed (90 percent I think). It works fine, but it seems he has had a few headaches I didnt have to deal with, even though we are not comparing the same computers.

RJTY:
We went to LDS together. I wanted a cobra and he wanted a smartcom. My Lds gave him a price. He went home and thought about it and instead of giving the lds a chance to match, $60 diff. he bought it. When he got it, it had 23 dives on it. Also, he did not realize that to change the settings on it, he would have to get something for his laptop. Extra $100 and a trip across town. He was too embarassed to go back to LDS who would have helped with all the settings right there. The battery also showed (90 percent I think). It works fine, but it seems he has had a few headaches I didnt have to deal with, even though we are not comparing the same computers.
==================================
Good info ...thanks for that. In our case the 2 Gekkos came brand new. Full battery and no dives in the log. Haven't had any problems with either of them yet so for now, all is well in paradise. Like someone else said though ...if we do have problems they would probably hit the day AFTER any warranty expired.

'Slogger

RJTY:

If the computer really had 23 dives on it LP would have taken it back. Did he try to get a refund? In my years of experience with LP, I have never had any of this silliness happen. The rest of the complaints are his own fault or speculation. He should have done his homework.

LP is really only good for the experienced diver that knows what he/she wants and can't get it in another place easily or cheaper. This is the only way to view LP IMHO. Sometimes LP will save you 50% or more and that's when you should consider them. If they are only saving you 10% then rethink your purchase.

All that said, if Scuba Toys has what you want, no reason to buy from LP. :wink: The good news is you both will have fun diving together! Happy diving!

I bought a pair of Gekkos as backups from LP a couple years ago, no problems and saved a bunch. (I think before I knew about Scubatoys.) As long as you know what you're getting into and accept whatever risks there are with LP, it's ok. Anyway I expect computers are one of those things that will either have a problem right away, or 1 day post-warrenty, or never.

scubadobadoo:
If the computer really had 23 dives on it LP would have taken it back. Did he try to get a refund? In my years of experience with LP, I have never had any of this silliness happen. The rest of the complaints are his own fault or speculation. He should have done his homework.

LP is really only good for the experienced diver that knows what he/she wants and can't get it in another place easily or cheaper. This is the only way to view LP IMHO. Sometimes LP will save you 50% or more and that's when you should consider them. If they are only saving you 10% then rethink your purchase.

All that said, if Scuba Toys has what you want, no reason to buy from LP. :wink: The good news is you both will have fun diving together! Happy diving!
1) Dont imply that I am lying. I dont know you and you dont know me
2) My point was that if he bought it at a LDS or scubatoys, he would have somebody to help him to avoid many of his own mistakes

I bought my Atmos 2 from LP over 3 years ago at half the price of my LDS, just changed the battery, no problems. LP's sight is more user friendly than Scubatoys in my opinion.
I have spent thousands of dollars with my LDS and with LP.

my approach too. they also own Adorama, best prices on camera stuff, fo sure.

although I will try Scubatoys next....Everyone raves.

I am getting a little attached to the LP guys barking at me...it is part of the experience.

catherine96821:
I am getting a little attached to the LP guys barking at me...it is part of the experience.

They bark at you awwwwwwww, never did that to me...
Just try and get me to buy more expensive stuff :14::14:.

Memories.........

IMG_0478.jpg

IMG_0479.jpg

A friend of mine bought two computers (one for him and one for his wife) at LP. The manuals he received with the computers are written in Finnish. He called the manufacturer and asked if he could get manuals in English. They said no, because he didn't have a warranty due to the grey market purchase. The computers work just fine, but he's had to learn how they work via trial and error (and using the little diagrams in the manual).

Caveat emptor........

Jamdiver:
They bark at you awwwwwwww, never did that to me...
Just try and get me to buy more expensive stuff :14::14:.

Memories.........

/QUOTE]

Nice pictures Jamdiver. How come you don't have any pictures of the sales staff?:D

As far as this discussion goes, there are + and - dealing with LP versus an authorized dealer for life supporting equipment (e.g., computers, regs, etc.) but many on this board have had both types of experience with them (as well as with a LDS). One just has to decide if it's worth the risk.

Back
Top Bottom