Leisure Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jamdiver:
They bark at you awwwwwwww, never did that to me...
Just try and get me to buy more expensive stuff :14::14:.

Memories.........

Thanks for the pics Jam! Always wondered what form they'd take! Looks OK

nyprrthd:
A friend of mine bought two computers (one for him and one for his wife) at LP. The manuals he received with the computers are written in Finnish. He called the manufacturer and asked if he could get manuals in English. They said no, because he didn't have a warranty due to the grey market purchase. The computers work just fine, but he's had to learn how they work via trial and error (and using the little diagrams in the manual).

Caveat emptor........
which computers - Suunto, I'm guessing? You can download PDFs of any of their manuals in whatever language. Look in the Download Center under Customer Service on suunto.com.

The Kraken:
Bought an Oceanic Data Max Pro Plus through them.

Never had a problem. Most of the time the warranty has expired before the computer poops out, so it's really not an issue.

I've always sent my computers directly back to Oceanic for annual inspection and have never had an issue with them having been purchased through LP.

the K

Just today had a call from a dealer that has a flooded 7 month old unit, no receipt and the cust. "can't remember" where he bought the $800 unit at. I actually called the cust. myself asking where he got it from, he still can't remember after I made the comment "we really want to take care of you but need to know where you purchased it from".
Unfortunatly it will cost him $120 plus shipping/insurance to get the unit fixed and only have a one year warranty after.
We know where the unit was orginally shipped to but it wasn't among the list of possible places the cust. mentioned he "may" have purchased it from.
It's actually hard to help people sometimes......
Please buy from a authorized dealer.

nyprrthd:
A friend of mine bought two computers (one for him and one for his wife) at LP. The manuals he received with the computers are written in Finnish. He called the manufacturer and asked if he could get manuals in English. They said no, because he didn't have a warranty due to the grey market purchase. The computers work just fine, but he's had to learn how they work via trial and error (and using the little diagrams in the manual).

Caveat emptor........

Was it possible to go to the manufacturer's website and download the user manual?
I've done that in the past when purchasing items second hand with no manual..

DiveGolfSki:
Nice pictures Jamdiver. How come you don't have any pictures of the sales staff?
04.gif

Nah did'nt think they'd be appreciative of me taking photos of them.. :14:

As it is you raise some great points, LP has advantages and disadvantages.
For me living thousands of miles away from a LDS, issues of warranty, free parts et cetera are nill and void to me, so really my only discriminat generally on a purchase decision is price..

Leisure Pro is my choice for gear on the internet and they also happen to be my LDS. If you read the section of the website that covers warrantees, you will see that they provide matching coverage for ALL equipment. No, you're not going to have a ScubaPro (Aladin)/Aqualung (Suunto) technician servicing your computer. However, they have some excellent technicians on staff that do the work on site and have been doing so for years without problems. I have purchased two wrist computers from them and have had no issues when I need service or replacement.

There's no techincal reason why you shouldn't buy from LP. That said, there are advantages to working with an LDS that's just a quick drive away. A good LDS provides extra services (training, group dive trips, loaner gear to try, etc.) that you just don't get from internet only shops.

hehehe was there the other day to pick up some dive accessories. I must say there prices are really tempting, but I really try to look away :)

I dont mind buying things from there like dive bags, travel gear, fins, snorkle, things that even if they crap out worst case Im out a few bucks. I dont know if Id trust having a tech work on my reg that he might not be certified to work (or use 3rd party parts) on.

Aloysius:
I am considering buying a dive computer from leisure pro. The same computer is 50% more at my local dive shop. The pros of buying through LP is the price. Are there any cons?

If it's a SmartCom (an excellent computer, BTW), the battery is several hundred dollars if you buy the computer at LP, and free if you buy it from an authorized dealer.

Terry

catherine96821:
my approach too. they also own Adorama, best prices on camera stuff, fo sure.

although I will try Scubatoys next....Everyone raves.

I am getting a little attached to the LP guys barking at me...it is part of the experience.
Larry @ Scubatoys really is a gem.

If abuse is really what you want, well, isn't Scubaboard enough for you?

I bought a computer from an authorized online retailer (scuba.com) a few months ago. The computer died on the third dive in the water. Fortunately, I could send it back to Aeris, and had a new one in hand two weeks later. All dive computers are going to fail at some point, if you save some $$$ by shoppong online, get the warranty from an authorized dealer, or that cheap computer could become an expensive paperweight.

Web Monkey:
If it's a SmartCom (an excellent computer, BTW), the battery is several hundred dollars if you buy the computer at LP, and free if you buy it from an authorized dealer.

Terry

It is the SmartCom and I think I will just shell the bucks out to my LDS. I tend to have bad luck and I'd rather not have any problems when it comes to servicing or warranty work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom