Life span of dive computer/ regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have datamax, and there is a slot in the back that fits a quarter to unscrew I had to take a pair of pliers to the quarter for leverage to open it up to change the batteries Saturday.

I talked to the guy that maintains Vortex springs and he said that he still uses a regulator that he had for over 30 yrs.
Not my idea of a good time, playing roulette with a regulator. Its Apeks or nothin':D

All my regs are over 25 years old and some of them are 40 years old, all work very well. The last reg to fail me was a 2 month old reg, that free flowed in 37 degree water. The regs I use have proven their dependabilty to me over the years. How many years have yours? Also I still have my Navy dive tables from 1969, I never even had to change the batteries. :rofl3:

Last edited:
Mine has user replaceable batteries

I talked to the guy that maintains Vortex springs and he said that he still uses a regulator that he had for over 30 yrs.
Not my idea of a good time, playing roulette with a regulator. Its Apeks or nothin':D

What makes you think that using old regulators is like playing roulette? If anything, older regulators with low parts counts and proven designs are "safer" than their newer cousins. Further, thinking that reg failure is playing with your life is a pretty big misconception. Don't you have a buddy and/or alternate air source? How about direct access to the surface? These are very basic foundations of OW diving.

Of course the dive gear industry loves perceptions like yours. "Buy a new reg, isn't your life worth it?"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom