Little Gal with a Big Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For Drysuit diving, I prefer to use a backplate and harness with a set of wings. Why does this work great?

1. With the increased bulk of a drysuit, it is nice to rid yourself of the bulk around the sides and up front of a conventional BCD.

2. The harness is one long piece of webbing and it is customizable to the size of the individual diver. All you have to do is undo the harness and build it back again with the right lengths for each section of straps. Also, place your D-rings in a good place for your body type and ease of use. Once you have done all of this, just take a pair of sharp scissors and trim off the extra belt and seal it with a flame from a candle.

I am beginning to think that a bp/wings set up might be worth a try. I need something that is very adjustable because I don't fit into any of the standard size ranges on most BCD's.
The Libra was a consideration and the 30 lb of lift that the small offers would probably be adequate. However, it isn't available in an (XS) and the over the shoulder measurement range (my problem area) is 34-40 in. for the (S). I am 5'1" (if I stand up very straight) and I have a short torso (even for someone of my height). My over the shoulder measurement is 31 in. - no wonder the Black Diamond doesn't fit (it's range: 38-42)!
This is the problem I have with bp/wings: My primary dive buddies hate the idea. My husband (a DM) and his two best friends (instructors) all dive with rear- inflate BCD's and think that bp/wings are just too tech/complicated/etc. for a little recreational diver like me. Just between us, I believe the problem is that they don't have that much experience with them and they are afraid that they won't be able to assist me properly during my learning phase.

Viv,

My diving beginnings were in commercial diving in the oilfields. When I started Scuba diving, I learned very quickly that this is a sport dominated by opinion and unfortnately, much of the opinion was based on lack of experience with other technologies. This doesnt even introduce the machismo aspect of male divers having to admit they dont know something --- I can say this, I am a male.

Backplates with harness are the norm in the technical diving area of recreational diving. They are also the only game in commercial diving except the backplate is usually made with a rubber material and the tank (bail out bottle) is secured with stainless steel hose clamps. The reason for this is they are very simple and easy to use.

As a matter of fact, if you look at old pictures of Scuba divers, you will see that they use backplate harnesses with a horsecollar BC.

Viv once bubbled...
Just between us, I believe the problem is that they don't have that much experience with them and they are afraid that they won't be able to assist me properly during my learning phase.

Sounds like you know the answer and where the hold up is. ScubaFishee also needed the adaptability of BP/W and has a Transpac or something like that, and it works. Why argue with success.

Well, I think I am going to do a little more research. However, I think it is time for a change and bp/wings may be what I need to try.
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will let you all know how things shape up :)

and I use a Halcyon BP/W. I think it's wonderful, and you can adjust the harness to fit you perfectly. It takes some time to fiddle with the webbing, but I would recommend that you look into getting one. I love mine!

Another vote for BP/W. It has a truly custom fit. As for needing help with sizing it, you have all of us to help you! Seriously, I first heard of BP/W on these boards, not from fellow divers or local dive shops. With all the info that is available, the pictures and the videos, I put my first one together by myself and sized it very well with no male present! I did have adjustments to make for the first few dives but before hte monthwas out Beast and I both were in BP/W's and we'll never go back to other types of BC's.

If you are as short waisted as you say, you could use one of FredT's short BP's. He designed it for his wife. She's about your height. I can't find my info right now but I think the short BP is about 2" shorter than the regular one. I also know several other short ladies who are using them. Yes....just about everyone in our circle of divers have converted to BP/W's! Even brand new divers buying their first set of gear. BP/W's definately are NOT just for tech or experienced divers, anyone can use them.

Don't let the testosterone change your mind!

I dive with a Transpac and Love it. On a recent trip to Cozumel I dove with a petite woman of 4' 11"" with a Transpac. She mentioned that she was very happy with it. Maybe it will fit you well too.

Jimi

BP&W for me. ; ) R

Back
Top Bottom