Long hose for recreational diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The ideal length can vary depending on various things -- port orientation, etc. I've heard come people say there is NO WAY a 5 foot hose is usable if you route it DIR-style under your right arm, across your chest, around the back of your head and into your mouth. I am 6'5" with a muscular chest -- I use a 5 footer no problem.

Another thing to consider -- If you are single tank diving without a canister light or something else to hook the hose on at your hip, a 7 foot gives you extra slack. This doesn't have to be a problem (you can loop the extra under your harness strap if diving a BP or under the end of your BC or cumberbund if using a jacket BC)...just something to consier.

One option would be to order 5, 6 & 7 and try them out -- send back the 2 you don't want. Extreme Exposure in FLorida will take them back with no questions asked -- you just pay the freight (minimal given the low weight of hoses).

Good luck.

I use a 7' hose for everything. I think a shorter hose is acceptable for OW but I dress the same for all occassions and sharing air is easier with a longer hose. The long hose routing is also more streamlined.

As for diving with students all my DM's also dive with a long hose. At present student use an octo length primary with a short bungied backup.

5' hose works for me. my regular buddy used the same config. the hose routing is kept neetly streamlined, and when it really counts, it worked (i have had to donate air and the long hose config is just sweet for that.)

things to watch out for (my personal experience, others might beg to differ) ...

1) a 7' hose probably would serve me better when donating since it gives more manuevering room e.g. when you need to swim across the donatee's body to get to the 'right side', and when i go for other classes e.g. overhead/penetration type.

2) need to really explain your OOA procedure to the buddy who might not be familiar with your set-up

3) as you prep your gear, mind your neighbors on the boat as the hose is long and can be a tripping hazard (and i'm not just talking about the occasional folks who walk in their fins :rolleyes: )

lanun once bubbled...
3) as you prep your gear, mind your neighbors on the boat as the hose is long and can be a tripping hazard (and i'm not just talking about the occasional folks who walk in their fins :rolleyes: )
First thing I do when setting up my reg is clip off the boltsnap on the long hose to the right shoulder D-ring of the harness, and then I go ahead and attach my first stage to the valve. Keeps your second stage out of harms way.

Atticus once bubbled...
... On the negative side, I think it might cause some confusion in the context of a PADI OW class, or at least a bunch of questions that will distract students from getting their basic training with the gear that they rented from the shop.

I think that if the Instructor was OK with it, you could be used as an example to the students of the importance of the "buddy check/procedure discussion" that they will need in the "wild". I doubt that would overload a student that much.

i do that too, scubaroo. what do you do with the hose, though ? do you wrap it around the 1st stage twice to keep it nicely bundled ?

Once I've screwed the DIN fitting, I hang the backup by it's bungee over the valve, and then usually do one loop with the 7' hose and hang that over the valve as well. And then the canister light cord gets hooked behind the valve as well. No danglies on deck - it's just asking for some clutz next to you to sit down with a tank on their back, and either mash you second stage or light head or SPG or <insert expensive piece of equipment guaranteed to ruin your day here> etc etc

Seeing the difference during an OOA drill with sillygrendel, who had a long hose while I didn’t, convinced me that the long hose was the way to go. The big difference is that you can independently control your own buoyancy while sharing air. This makes it much easier to control your rate of ascent. Additionally, it allows you to effectively swim horizontal, say to the anchor line, while sharing air.

I have a TX100 but I don’t like the ½” to 3/8” adaptor approach. You can buy hoses with the ½” fitting from 5th D, for example the 6’ is at http://fifthd.com/cgi-bin/merchant2...e=5AG&Product_Code=6FLPH1P&Category_Code=RHHK

I first ordered the 5 foot but it was a bit short, so when sillygrendel got his canister light and went to a 7 foot hose, I bought his six foot. I’m much happier with it. 5th D also sells the bungee for the backup. It was worth getting one to see how it is made but I have since bought just the raw bungee cord and made my own spare, it’s easy when you have an example to follow.

I got a 22” hose for the backup and found it to be to short also, so I went back to the original 24”.

Mike

In the pool I use a traditional reg... two short hoses, one clipped off on my BC. I have to train the little munchkins how to donate and recieve and so it's monkey see, monkey do. However, on our first OW dive, I am diving an H valve with a 7' primary and bungeed second (same back inflate BC). I cover this with my students as to how I would donate if they needed it, but hey, we are past the demonstration stage. They all know what I expect of them. They do just fine with thier skills, and they get to see some different gear and ask questions where I know they will get the right answers. On our final OW dives, I am usually in a BP & wings with my doubles. Overkill? Not really. You see, I don't have to fiddle with tank changes and I get to talk with each one as they reset up their gear. They also get to see yet even more gear and ask even more questions from someone who will give them the right answers. Yes, I share my primary with each one of them in the ocean. They get a real feel for how I dive this way, and they learn something more. I see this as a progression for them, and they seem to take to it fairly readily.

I have the 5' and it pulls my head ever so slightly...a 5' 2" hose would be perfect. Went back to my 7'...

For anyone who doubts the utility of the long hose concept, the first time you do an OOA drill with the long hose, the light bulb comes on and you will 'get it'....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom