Long hose for recreational diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a 7' hose for everything. I don't see any point in switching back and forth between configurations. I use my DIR rig with students without any problems. It's a decision that the Instructor would have to make though.

I also use a 7' for everything. Just taught my daughter to dive and she used a 7' as well. When I used to teach actively in the '70s I taught breathe/donate the long hose and backup on bungie under your chin.

Dave D

I use the 7 foot for all my diving. Once you dive it, you won't notice the difference.
Eric

I have to agree with the others. I use a 7' hose for all my dives including dives with students (except in the pool). I agree with NetDoc. There is nothing wrong with exposing them to different gear and gear configurations.

Thanks for all your suggestions and comments! I'll order the hose and let you know what I think after a couple of dives. If it becomes a hassle in classes then I'll switch out hoses or get a second reg setup.

--Atticus:)

I have been lurking around here for a little while now, trying to learn as much as possible.

Most of my questions have been answered by a simple search, but one question I can't find any answer to is:

If you lose your reg on a long hose, how do you go about recovering it?

Do you use your secondary and then start reeling it in?

It seems that the standard lean and sweep method as well as grabbing the hose at the first stage would not work very well.

Tom.

rustman once bubbled...
The long hose will hang across the back of your neck - if you spit the second stage out - it will just hang over your right shoulder. I suppose if you did have to recover it, the hose is long enough that you could just spin to the right in the water until the hose comes back into view - or your buddy would pass it to you. Either way you've got the bungeed backup under your chin (haven't you? :)) so you won't need to rush to get your breathing gas back. I've never had to try and recover mine - because of the chest and neck routing, it just stays in place!

rustman once bubbled...
I have been lurking around here for a little while now, trying to learn as much as possible.

Most of my questions have been answered by a simple search, but one question I can't find any answer to is:

Do you use your secondary and then start reeling it in?

It seems that the standard lean and sweep method as well as grabbing the hose at the first stage would not work very well.

Tom.

Well, first of all, it's damn near impossible to lose the second stage. Since it passes behind your neck, the majority of the hose is still draped across your chest and shoulder. If you do lose it, chances are it will be right next to your head, so you just grab it and go.. or grab the hose on your chest and follow it to the second stage.

If you do manage to get all 7 feet trailing behind you, the sweep definitely works just fine, as does reaching behind and grabbing the hose where it meets the first stage. Just grab the end of the hose, and run it under your arm as you follow the hose. You really shouldn't need to go to the backup, but if you were hit by a shark or something and needed a quick breath, the backup should be about an inch and a half from your chin. Grab it, breathe it, and simply drop it when you get your primary back.

Note that in the event you had your primary ripped away from you and trailing behind you when you were at the end of a breath and needed a quick breath, you get air much more quickly with the long hose. In a standard setup, grabbing the octo and removing it from the octo holder is about as slow as just retrieving the primary. With the long hose setup, you have air instantly right below your chin. And you don't have to restow the backup when you're done with it.. just let it drop from your lips. Your buddy should have his primary extended to you by this time :wink:

Edit: Oh yeah, ben made a fine point I didn't even remember. If it's trailing behind you in the water, you just turn around and your second stage is suddenly in front of you. I've never managed to be in that situation, but it'll work just fine :wink:

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Gee jonnythan, can I dive with you one day? :)

Hah.. you managed to say just about everything I did with about 1/3 the number of words :wink:

I'm going to be out in (unfortunately, Southern) Cali Dec 3-19, but I'm not bringing my dive gear. If you ever make it out to New York, though, I'll show you beautiful Underwater Lake George and the pristine Hudson River! =-)

Back
Top Bottom