long longhose question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You will have to dig around to find something other than 5' & 7'. Personal choice for me is 7', singles or doubles, bungeed backup reg on both rigs. If you are going to use the long hose, there is no reason not to bungee your backup in the standard fashion. If you have to deploy your primary in an emergency situation, the last thing you need to be doing is unclipping or searching for your airsource. It may not seem like a big deal, but add the stress of a real emergency and change. Like others said, if you are a large guy you may find the 5' a little constricting.

As far a changing out hoses, it's pretty staight forward. Just finger tight and then give it a "smidge" with the wrench. Do not crunch down the o-ring.

double80s:
As far a changing out hoses, it's pretty staight forward. Just finger tight and then give it a "smidge" with the wrench. Do not crunch down the o-ring.
Sorry, meant to say swap out the hoses on my second stages in order to attach the longer hoses. Currently have standard hoses on my second stages.

It's still what double80s described. It's leftie-loosie, rightie-tightie. When reattaching either the hose to the first stage or reg to the end of the hose, just make sure that the threads don't get crossed, hand tighten and then use a adjustable wrench a smidge. Do not crank hard on it. We're talking hamster-force smidge, not 800 lbs gorilla. :)

Cathan:
It's still what double80s described. It's leftie-loosie, rightie-tightie. When reattaching either the hose to the first stage or reg to the end of the hose, just make sure that the threads don't get crossed, hand tighten and then use a adjustable wrench a smidge. Do not crank hard on it. We're talking hamster-force smidge, not 800 lbs gorilla. :)
Cool. Thanks for the info.

DA Aquamaster:
I agree with most of what's been said above, but not all of it and some of it needs adapted to diving with a BC rather than a BP/wing.

I also use a bolt snap on each second stage. I use hardware store variety o-rings that are large enough to loop through the bolt snap and then fit snugly around the second stage at the base of the mouthpiece. You want enough tension to keep the second stage attached even on a "hard" entry into the water but light enough to allow the second stage to pull out of the loop if a buddy grabs it. Zip ties and cave line are very secure but they don't let you or someone else access the reg "right now".

Hi,
Any chance you can post a picture of your bolt snap rig? I'm having a little problem understanding how the o-ring is secured to the snap.

Thanks

what exactly is an s-drill?

creamofwheat:
what exactly is an s-drill?
"Safety Drill" = air share drill. You and your buddy take turns being "OOG" and donating air diver.

Accomplishes a couple of things:

1 - lets you and your buddy both know that both of your long hoses are deployable,

2 - lets both of you know that you're on the same page for air sharing procedure,

3 - lets both of you know that your backup regs are accessible and working properly,

4 - in the case of doubles, verifies that the left post is turned on :D

Ah, ok. i know OOA drills of course, but had never heard the term "s-drill" for them before. thanks for clarifying!

If you're a tall guy, you might want to try the 5' before you commit. It wasn't at all comfortable for me to route correctly when I bought new regs with the "short" long hose. I'm going to be purchasing a 7' here soon, but I stay out of the water when it's cold.

Also, if you go with the bungee. If you're 'sensitive', you might want to make sure your bungee is black in color. I went with the purple one that I had lying around, and if I didn't have such strength of character, all those comments might have made me cry.

Okay, okay .. cry more. :)

Back
Top Bottom