long longhose question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you decide to intall the 7 footer, you may have to order a custom hose. I'm switching my Atomic B2 2nd stage to the long hose, but the hoses that my LDS had did'nt fit up properly because the inlet stem on the reg was twice as long than the fitting on the hose, so they're on special order now(Atomic is fabricating it right now). I wanted it with the special comfort swivel too, but the price ended up to be $218! So I ended up with the standard swivel for $57.

I went to a long hose primarily for the routing. I really got tired of things grabbing the hose hanging out over my right shoulder.

I had a bunch of hoses in various lengths between 2 and 4 feet so I got a $7 connector and experimented. I settled on a length a couple inches over 5 feet (I weight 230 with an 18 inch neck). I used it with an Air2 for a while but found the Air2 and my slung pony interfered with each other so I converted to an inflator on a short hose and a bungeed octo. I ziptied a tank o-ring (#214) to the primary rather than connecting a snap link. I then use a double ender to the o-ring and shoulder D-ring when I want to clip it off. If you have to doff your gear in the water and pass it up to the boat, I found it best to switch to the bungeed octo, remove the loop from around your neck, and clip off the primary. With everything free from around your neck, remove the BC and hand it up. The lesson that taught me that was not pretty. I brief my buddy that he is welcome to any reg I have if he needs it, but I would prefer he take my primary. And if he asks first, I will always pass him my primary.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is the snorkel issue...you can't deploy the long hose if you're wearing a snorkel strapped to the side of your head. Well, you can...but not gracefully in an emergency situation...at least without practice. Just ditch the snorkel or carry it in your pocket.

Dave

I ditched, just because I hardly ever used it. It really never got in the way of my hose, but I guess it could. Most of my instructor buddies keep a pocket snorkle on them to meet the class standards. There are times when a snorkel can be nice so I keep one in the car:
- long, shallow surface swims - fun to look around on the way out
- Diving in Laguna area (SoCal), snorkel is required by county lifeguard

thanks all for the feedback! (isn't is so nice to see a thread w/o any arguments? hahahaha)

@ben_ca: tuck in the belt? anyone have a pic of what that looks like? and ummm... i'll pass on the course first but would welcome you/spoon giving me tips hehehehehe

@espenskogen: sorry, i mis-wrote the whole thing - i was meaning to ask if a bungeed octo was the only acceptable alternate air source rigging on a longhose setup - oops hehehe

@aquamaster: thanks! you got a pic of how your octo is rigged?

@halthron: i didn't know you used a longhose... hopefully gordon gives it to me at a "few hundred pesos"... the $20-$100 range i've read so far is just wrong hahahaha...

@halthron: and what's so wrong with pink??? :rofl:

@astn: i'm not small... 5'11", 240lbs... did judo in my day... i'm gonna wear a hot pink bungee!!! wahahahahahaha FWIW though i bet i'm gonna get really envious stares from my PPD dive buds when i sport a different colored/patterned bungee during every dive

@whisperer: what kind of swivels exactly? are these any good? anyone care to comment on hose swivels?

@loquat: i ditched the snorkel on dive #5 (1st fun dive)... darn things are a chore to have around... i do love snorkeling though and still bring one everywhere i go w/ water

thanks again guys!

Jag

shugar:
thanks all for the feedback! (isn't is so nice to see a thread w/o any arguments? hahahaha)

@ben_ca: tuck in the belt? anyone have a pic of what that looks like? and ummm... i'll pass on the course first but would welcome you/spoon giving me tips hehehehehe

Jag
I too had that same question til I watched the essential DVD from 5thD-x. Shows everything on how to deploy the long hose and tucking it back in your belt. S-drills were cool too. And those skills....makes me want to take essentials class.

Jag,
The Essentials video has a very good example of an S drill without a cannister light... Easier to show than to describe.

Midwest... you diving this weekend?

Ben_ca:
Jag,
The Essentials video has a very good example of an S drill without a cannister light... Easier to show than to describe.

Midwest... you diving this weekend?
PM'd you. The only time I have free is Saturday and that's if you want to dive with a matabang (fat/chubby) pinoy :D .

shugar:
@aquamaster: thanks! you got a pic of how your octo is rigged?
I've been doing 12 and 14 hour days this week finishing a grant application. I'll try to get one Saturday.

shugar:
@astn: i'm not small... 5'11", 240lbs...

Then you definately want the 7ft hose if go the long hose route. I found it to be more streamlined and more comfortable than my regular hose... Takes a little longer (30 secs) to get ready on the boat though. Ask spoon or someone who is experienced with long hoses to show you the correct way to put it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom