Looking for a computer I CAN SEE!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey man, you already have three Petrel's! Give the man a break! LOL

Nah, I'm down to one stand alone Petrel plus a hardwired Predator on my CCR. Thinking a SA Predator for my DPV would be a nice addition is all :)

FWIW, I recently switched from a Scubapro Galileo to a Petrel for the reason you are looking. Couldn't read the galileo in the dark. That Liquidvision was another attractive option - it just isn't the one I selected.

There is someone on SB selling thier predator for i think 600.

I really like my Aeris AI integrated. Big numbers, very easy to use and has been bulletin proof for 9 years and counting. I need reading glasses every day, but can read this computer with zero problems when diving. It is not big at all and is easy to tuck into the waist belt on my BP/W.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTW, the reason I can't read stuff is because I'M OLD! :( ......
I have your same problem (I am old too) :wink:

I am using and have tested a lot of dive computers and from an "old eyes" point of view nothing beats the Pro Plus or the Galileo (in light mode). Not even the Petrel (and by the way, I can read the Predator better than the Petrel).

The other alternative would be to put an iPad inside an iDive housing .... that would give you a dive computer with gigantic numbers :wink:

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I don't find the lynx that easy to read. The tank icon is fine but the actual psi number is very small. Depth and time are well sized though. The compass is a god awful mess. I was looking at friends black magic, that a very impressive display, but no AI.
Most readable display over all in my experience is atomic cobalt but then it's a slate with AI.

---------- Post added September 6th, 2014 at 10:09 AM ----------

Actually I wish scuba capsule would get their hardware finished I find their ui one of easiest to read at depth, at least for the important stuff.
f91f8d6ff91aef1aae7fd26fe3176987.jpg

Coach bought a OSTC3 recently. Color LED screen and very compact and tech ready. Not sure how it is, but I know he buys stuff that work well.

Sent from Tapatalk mobile

I'm 54 years old, a pretty new diver (started in January in St. Thomas) and almost immediately (as a matter of fact before I did my OW certification) went out and and bought the Oceanic Pro Plus 3. Love it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am in my 50's with rather poor eyesight and wear bifocals. For my mask I am using lenses set up for medium to far distance without reader inserts. I run with 2 computers for redundacy, a Pro Plus and a VEO 2.0 on my wrist. The Pro Plus as a very large display which eases reading but I still find myself using the wrist mount much more frequently due to the ease of use. Reading the wrist is just easier than reaching down for a console. Both units use LCD displays and at depth or in the dark they are not as clear as I would like. The most optimum setup I can think of would one of the newer OLED display units,on my wrist, having seen them in action underwater there really is no comparison with the LCD displays. By using a light emitting display as opposed to a light relecting display they really standout for clarity and brightness. I think the LCD displays are going to be like the CRT TV's and in a few years they will be phased out for new sales.

I use a Datamask, I am 60+, wear bifocals when not diving and have never had a problem seeing the computer. In fact, I have to turn down the brightness on night dives.:wink: I don't have to do anything but glance downward to view the information. It does not have a compass but I have an SK-7 on a retractor that works well for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom