Looking for a computer I CAN SEE!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right I'm in the same boat in wanting a computer I can read. I currently run a Cressi Leonardo, which is a fine basic come but in some circumstances hard to read at a glance, and pretty much unreadable in low light even with its back light.

So my requirements are thus:

Wrist mount.
Big screen.
Easy to read.
AI - lets not debate this, thats what I want although I will be keeping my console mounted contents and depth gauge as a back up. (if we start debating the pros and cons of AI then we might as well start on my choice of pony size too and we are not going there either!)
Multi gas switching
User changeable battery.
Able to download to Mac dive (don't' want to faff with exporting logs or starting again.

Not really concerned about the price (within reason) I'm willing to invest given I dive most weekends year round

I really really wanted the Lynx, my two biggest concerns here is:-
1. Support - not hearing good things but willing to be corrected
2. Batteries. I live in the UAE so I don't want to be ordering new batteries from Canada all the time, I know they have rechargable ones but again I can't get a firm answer as to how many sets I would burn through in a year and even how many battery changes I would need on a weekend of 8 - 12 dives. IF I could get some reassurance on this I may go for it.

My next choice it seems is the Galileo Should I be looking at any others?

Finally I will have to buy two, as I'm obliged to buy my wife one as dive as buddies and are both getting in to deco diving :blinking:

I have the Galileo (61, bifocals under water) and I'm very satisfied with it. It does all the things you deem important. As it is quite dark here underwater (we always need a lamp) it's easy to see.
Of course the Petrel is nice to, but not very easy available here and far more expensive here. The Luna I bought last year for €570 incl. AI.
As there is no dealer for Shearwater in this part of the world, getting service would be a hassle.

I posted the following in a similar thread...

50 years old & far-sighted (need readers) and I dive with a Petrel and a Cobalt...

Both excellent computers for the youth impaired. But each computer is not interchangeable. Petrel is a Tech Computer that works well for Rec diving, but, is NOT air integrated... still need an SPG or other air indicating computer. The Cobalt is an awesome Rec computer but is an in-line computer (Atomic is working on a wrist model). What they both have going for them is the ease of use...my first computer has an 179 page instruction manual of confusing fine print, my Cobalt I think 20 pages with big bold graphics and I could operate it within 10 minutes of opening the box. Since the Petrel is a Tech computer it took me 20 minutes.
icosm14.gif

At my age I really do not want a computer that does everything under the blue ocean. I want one that I CAN operate to fit my needs...and user intuitive operations is a major need. I do not care about saving a few $100 or two on price. My budget is no longer that I need to eat Top Ramen as an entrée.

~Oldbear~

Right I'm in the same boat in wanting a computer I can read. I currently run a Cressi Leonardo, which is a fine basic come but in some circumstances hard to read at a glance, and pretty much unreadable in low light even with its back light.

So my requirements are thus:

Wrist mount.
Big screen.
Easy to read.
AI - lets not debate this, thats what I want although I will be keeping my console mounted contents and depth gauge as a back up. (if we start debating the pros and cons of AI then we might as well start on my choice of pony size too and we are not going there either!)
Multi gas switching
User changeable battery.
Able to download to Mac dive (don't' want to faff with exporting logs or starting again.

Not really concerned about the price (within reason) I'm willing to invest given I dive most weekends year round

I really really wanted the Lynx, my two biggest concerns here is:-
1. Support - not hearing good things but willing to be corrected
2. Batteries. I live in the UAE so I don't want to be ordering new batteries from Canada all the time, I know they have rechargable ones but again I can't get a firm answer as to how many sets I would burn through in a year and even how many battery changes I would need on a weekend of 8 - 12 dives. IF I could get some reassurance on this I may go for it.

My next choice it seems is the Galileo Should I be looking at any others?

Finally I will have to buy two, as I'm obliged to buy my wife one as dive as buddies and are both getting in to deco diving :blinking:

If you need air integration the field narrows a bit.

I have a lynx but would be hesitant to recommend it. The bump access to the compass and features around it (or lack there of, are pretty bad). Also I have had both the computer and transmitter need replacement... So I'm underwhelmed with the build quality.

As far as battery goes... Save the blues and get three rechargeable sets. They are good for ~ten hours, but little things like long surface swims chip away at the transmitter bat. They charge at a decent rate. I would gauge them more at 8 hours, and like to change every 4 or 5 dives. The issue here is the battery tray system is really badly designed and in no way meant for continuos repetitive access. So I figure it's just a matters of time until it breaks.

There was another thread where the oem was identified and you can get the batteries and charger for about a 3rd of the price.

I was lured by the buddy finder features but have yet to have gotten to use it :p. if I keep giving my buddies honest first hand impressions.... Oh well.

I'll be real interested in a cobalt wrist unit since I liked their display and ui interaction quite a bit, though the compass was slow on first gen. I just hated the lack of wrist mount enough to sell mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am just so amazed to see people who is looking to spend $799 (ie. Oeanic Pro Plus 3) or $995 (ic, Luna) on a computer that does NOT have color OLED/LCD screen especially when readability is their top priority. If you ever see a Petrel, or Preditor, or Cobalt in water, you will realized how much easier they are to read, and how dated ProPlus3 or Luna's display technology is. They are just in an entire different league.

If you need air integration the field narrows a bit.

I have a lynx but would be hesitant to recommend it. The bump access to the compass and features around it (or lack there of, are pretty bad). Also I have had both the computer and transmitter need replacement... So I'm underwhelmed with the build quality.

As far as battery goes... Save the blues and get three rechargeable sets. They are good for ~ten hours, but little things like long surface swims chip away at the transmitter bat. They charge at a decent rate. I would gauge them more at 8 hours, and like to change every 4 or 5 dives. The issue here is the battery tray system is really badly designed and in no way meant for continuos repetitive access. So I figure it's just a matters of time until it breaks.

There was another thread where the oem was identified and you can get the batteries and charger for about a 3rd of the price.

I was lured by the buddy finder features but have yet to have gotten to use it :p. if I keep giving my buddies honest first hand impressions.... Oh well.

I'll be real interested in a cobalt wrist unit since I liked their display and ui interaction quite a bit, though the compass was slow on first gen. I just hated the lack of wrist mount enough to sell mine.
Damn. Unfortunately your post has re-inforced all I've heard about the Lynx. I really want to like it and buy it as on paper it meets all my requirements. I think some things have been improved with the Aluminum tank transmitter but I don't yet see any corrective action on the rest. Given the hassle (and cost) of shipping back and forth with associated down time I'm not sure I'm willing to take the risk on buying two complete sets :( Unless of course someone else brings new info...

---------- Post added September 15th, 2014 at 12:25 PM ----------

I am just so amazed to see people who is looking to spend $799 (ie. Oeanic Pro Plus 3) or $995 (ic, Luna) on a computer that does NOT have color OLED/LCD screen especially when readability is their top priority. If you ever see a Petrel, or Preditor, or Cobalt in water, you will realized how much easier they are to read, and how dated ProPlus3 or Luna's display technology is. They are just in an entire different league.

I do so want a a colour Oled screen but with the market so thin on choice... Would love a Shearwater but there is No AI which is something I want - Shame really as they look to be great units and seem to have a good following of happy customers especially with support.

Of course the Petrel is nice to, but not very easy available here and far more expensive here. The Luna I bought last year for €570 incl. AI. As there is no dealer for Shearwater in this part of the world, getting service would be a hassle.
Actually there are three offical dealers in the Netherlands according to the Shearwater website (Amsterdam, Hilversum and Bennekom). It is pricey though, but to me it seems an excellent computer who can deliver more than I could ever ask for. I currently own a Suunto D4i which is very hard to read in low vis circumstances. My next computer will most likely be a Petrel despite the price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom