Looking for a computer I CAN SEE!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMO any of the recent LCD computers use about the same contrast screen. I have a harder time reading Uwatec's but I haven't looked at one lately. So then bigger numbers seems to make them easier to read without glasses IMO.

One thing you have to get used to of course is having a big computer on the end of a hose. So you'd need some way to clip it off so it doesn't dangle - hurts the reef and scratches the computer. I use a Cetacea High Force retractor but there's also any number of clips that can be used to hold it tight until you need it. Personally I think I could see the Pro Plus 3 even if it was clipped off on a bottom d-ring just by turning it but I've not tried that underwater.

Another inexpensive option might be some of the Suunto wrist models. They're smaller but bigger than a standard watch based computer and have bigger numbers. I have a Gekko - predecessor to the Zoop - and have no problems reading it with my wrist extended - I sometimes wear it inside my left wrist so I can see it while venting my inflator hose. They're electro-luminiscent so for night dives you "charge" them with your dive light and they glow for hours. I find it easier just to point my light at it.

There's also the ScubaPro Square but it's a newer computer and there's already been one recall. Either they're really popular or about to be discontinued - I can't find them at many of the standard online sources. Even LeisurePro shows it out of stock. http://www.leisurepro.com/p-utca2w/uwatec-aladin-square-wrist-computer

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!

I dive a Predator and some of it is because of age related eye issues. Much if it is the support and customer service Shearwater offers. I would never buy a computer I can't replace the batteries in myself. Never considered a console even though my OW instructor tried to push me in that direction. Nothing against the Pro Plus or the Cobalt but I don't want a big hunk of anything on my HP hose.

Shearwater Predator Trimix Dive Computer Excellent Condition | eBay

it's at 475 now with one day to go. You can get the new firmware for free if it does not have it as long as the seller is the registered owner and it's not been reported stolen.

If I had the extra funds I'd buy it as a back up to my other one.

Definitely leaning toward Shearwater. Have talked to them twice and are the only ones who has a live person to talk to. That's also important to me.

I have a liquidvision Koan and can not be happier. The contrast is readable from over 6 feet away in low viz . I have had several dive buddies say that it was easier to read my computer on my wrist than it was to read their own computer while it was on their wrist. The customer service has been outstanding. I just had to send mine in for a issue that I fully expected to be billed for. They are sending me a new computer and the only charge to me was the one way postage to them. The customer service rep that handled my initial inquiry talked me through a couple attempts at a at home reset and then has stayed with me the entire service period. He has responded to every email with in 2 hours of my sending it. The zero button/ tap to change screens makes it very easy to work through the set up.

It may be a little more than others but I found it very worth it. And yes I am starting to feel my age in the vision dept.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom