Loss of Wireless Computer Communication Signal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is not someone holding the tank by transmitter that is the issue. I was sold a already flooded transmitter. Many divers are complaining about lost link from different brands of computer AI wireless. This technology is not where it should be. There are too many complaints to be a user error. I which I knew this before buying.

Consider the caliber of the typical divers, I dare say that most of the reported problems were and are operator's headspace and timing.

Consider the caliber of the typical divers, I dare say that most of the reported problems were and are operator's headspace and timing.
what do you mean by timing? I have a new transmitter now but dove it only once and it worked good. BUT one dive is not enough to say that it was the problem for sure

what do you mean by timing? I have a new transmitter now but dove it only once and it worked good. BUT one dive is not enough to say that it was the problem for sure

Sorry. I shouldn't have used military jargons. Operator's headspace & timing means that there usually is nothing wrong with the equipment but with the operator.

My Suunto Vyper Air transmitter failed during warranty; Suunto replaced it in July 2010. The replacement transmitter failed about 50 dives later in late December 2010, and by then the warranty had expired. It shows the code, there's no "low battery" signal but it simply shows "FAIL" for air pressure even with the wrist unit close to the transmitter and without any possible interference from strobes.

A new transmitter costs about $450. I like seeing my remaining air-time and PSI on my wrist unit, and the dive profile data make for a great post-dive briefing and log when uploaded to my PC, but the unreliability and high replacement cost are both frustrating and discouraging.

I started using air-integrated computers in the early nineties with the Genius computer. Normally no problems, only when the battery of the transmitter ran out of juice.
After that, I got the Scubapro Air-Z, then Air-z Nitrox and Air-Z O2, which I still keep for back-up. Under normal use (no strobes) practically no interruption in transmission, though I kept analog for safety.
Since moving up to Galileo Sol, which has a stronger transmitter and a better signal (new type of transmitter, the same as for Smart/Smart Pro/Luna) never had any signal problems. So now decided to leave out analog. I will though probably also attach an analog gauge as safety backup when going trimix/tec. The Sol has a warning for weak transmitter battery, which previous models did not have.
On live-aboards you'll have to teach the crew not to grab the tanks by the transmitters (as they usually tend to do) to avoid damage. There is no interference from various Sol transmitters close to each other, as each has its specific pairing code; you can however check also your buddies data, if he/she is in close range (max. 1,5-2 meters) with a second paired transmitter.
Conclusion: there have been possible problems in the past from weaker signals (battery, transmitter position or strobe related), which nowadays could/should be avoidable.
By the way, on my last holiday I noticed a diver with a high pressure tube/pressure gauge that was leaking air over its entire length, ready to blow up. So they can fail as well.
Air-integrated computers are no worse or better than analog devices, both can fail , both rely in the end on quality and maintenance. But air-integration offers advantages that analogue gauges cannot offer (RBT calculation, for example).
It also offers (e.g. through the programme Smarttrak) the possibility to analyse your air consumption during various phases of the dive, as well as to check other parameters, which help to make you aware of your dive behaviour and to learn from experience. But in the end, it all comes down to personal preference. And mine is definitely for air-integrated computers.

One failure point too many in my view. And as for using one of these things for multi-tank tech diving... well!

One failure point too many in my view. And as for using one of these things for multi-tank tech diving... well!
Many cave divers use the SOL as they can have 4 senders on thier various tanks. Maybe they are not "technical" enough for you.
Most descions are a personal choice. It's what we call the Marmite syndrome. Love it or hate it.

I know many cave divers who wouldn't use them, and I don't like them - too many failure points and too many decision points when I want to know the pressure in a tank. Lots of potential for error. It does come down to personal preference.

Been using the SOL over the last two years, and love it! Never had an issue with signal loss...not even for a moment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom