LP85 or HP100's for Sidemount? I dive mostly in either a 3 mill or 5 mill wet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know what is similar, but round bottom 12l steels are perfect for sidemounting for me. Only bothersome is that you can't stand them up.

Going to SMS. Dive mostly fresh water in 3 mill or 5 mill. LP85's or HP100's?
HP100's are way to negative for anything less buoyant that a dry-suit. Even LP85's are too negative for many people with less than 5mil, but work for some others.

I use HP100's with a dry-suit because that is what I already have, but less negative would be better. I use AL80's or equivalent when in a wet-suit (rentals). In the future, I plan to buy LP's for dry-suit and AL's for wet-suit.

I use the LP 85,s with a 5 MM wetsuit and my tri lam dry suit. I found the 100's to be too negative
for my body composition and exposure protection needs. When I use them with a wet suit I run a redundant wing.

Tank size depends somewhat on your body size. I'm 6'4', 235lbs and love HP100's for sidemount....

In a 3mil?
Mostly in a drysuit or 7mm wetsuit. Whatever; I always have something for redundant buoyancy.

My thought process
Sidemount anything in a wetsuit can be really problematic without putting weights on the top of your shoulders which makes your feet less heavy.
If you can't get cave fills in the 85's then AL80's are just better and easier. If you need more gas then the HP100's become the obvious answer.
If you can get cave fills, then the 85's hold about 100cf of gas and do trim better than the HP100's because they're a bit lighter.

Honestly though, I would seriously just dive AL80's unless the difference in gas quantity is really that critical to you, they are just easier

Back
Top Bottom