Lynx: lot lot to like but few Hmm's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want to start by saying I am VERY happy with my LYNX and I couldn't ask for quicker responses from the people at Liquivision when I have had a question, outstanding. I have a few things I would like to see changed but I have been waiting until I have more dive time with it, I only have 50-60 dives so far but I pretty much agree with Grifon on his points and thought I would throw my .02 in:

An alternative method to modify the basic 700 PSI end point air time calculation would be to introduce varying end points based on depth. This would be quite simple, i.e. 30m-40m: 700 PSI end point, 20-30m: 500 PSI, 10-20m: 400 PSI, less than 10m 350 PSI. Or something like that.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

The 700PSI end point bugs me also, I would be happy with Eric's idea or just let me set what I like.

1. I want to be able to quick, *tap* *tap* to the compass and back, left right screen toggle essentially. Ideal stretch feature set would be for divers to be able to define up to x number of views, order and toggle between apps/screens. i.e. screen 1 main view, screen two compass, screen 3 group view. This needing to move back through menus is annoying, particularly while at depth.

I would like to be in the main screen and just tap the side and move in or out the compass, tap*tap*tap on the side and I am in the compass and tap*tap*tap and I'm back in the main screen.

3. I want to be able to set a band range for my 3 minute safety stop. If I exit band for more then 1 (default) minute then reset stop counter otherwise pause and resume count. This would allow for safety stops to match conditions or known sites and dips if needed (like say when your buddy stops at 20 feet because his computer recommends a deep stop and you need to check that all is well if 5ft Monterrey vis). There is nothing magical about 15 feet but there is for 1ATM.. sorta.

I would like to be able to set my safety stop time at 3 or 5 minutes and have it stay functional (or continue counting) even though I moved down to 20', I have been in places that a 20' safety stop was much easier than a 10 or 15' because of conditions.

5. Not turning on: Thanks, I'll play with the timing. I just noted as I dropped down to around 20ft twice that it was off. I did not wait to see what it would do. Ideally it should be on already, but the auto sleep mode tends to assert between gear up and the time I can walk in when shore diving :).

I have only had a couple of turn on issues, but the sleep mode does cause me an issue on some shore dives, I gear up, turn it on and check air pressure and so on and head to the water and well some places I gear up are not close and it has shut down by the time I get there but I think that is on me to recheck my gear before dropping down. I really dont remember, is the sleep time changeable and would the battery life suffer to much?

I won't start on the log software, other then to notes it's functional but feels pretty primitive and rough. Hopefully I can do direct import into divelog 5.0 soon.
Thanks
-Griffon

Yeah, I am not a fan of the dive log and agree I hope the people from Diving Log 5.0 are able to let me download directly to their software soon.

Paul

Glad to hear about more options coming to the Lynx! Right there is why you guys have my cash, inovation and expansion. And yeah this is not love you post but rather how I want it to be even better from my perspective.

That Said "If you prefer to always stop for 1 minute at half your max depth you can easily do that on your own."
Yes I could, but I have very expensive piece of hardware that is sitting on my wrist, thanks but I rather have itsing for it's dinner and not need another stop watch or bottom timer. I consider "do it yourself' a bit of dis, though I'm sure you didn't mean it that way.

It's interesting that your beta crew differed. As is often is the case with this sort of thing, I wonder if it was the HOW they where objecting to not the WHAT for the goal. I think your proposition below is a much sounder approach but knowing tank size would probable be of benefit any time/gas calculation as well.

... The RGBM upgrade will also soon be available for the Lynx and Kaon. If you prefer to always stop for 1 minute at half your max depth you can easily do that on your own.

The original Lynx beta units had the full, extremely complicated air time remaining algorithm which attempted to calculate the air consumption during an entire ascent including assumed ascent speed, and deco stops. The beta testers rejected the algorithm as being too complicated, making too many assumptions that weren't necessarily true, and too difficult to understand what it was really doing. So we simplified it for the production launch.

An alternative method to modify the basic 700 PSI end point air time calculation would be to introduce varying end points based on depth. This would be quite simple, i.e. 30m-40m: 700 PSI end point, 20-30m: 500 PSI, 10-20m: 400 PSI, less than 10m 350 PSI. Or something like that.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

---------- Post added September 12th, 2013 at 10:15 AM ----------

Not a thing other then I rather have my $1K piece of kit make it's self more useful rather then less, and those other guys give me the option for it. Worthing noting though that stop watch is only in gauge mode so how accurate that minute is might require yet another device, that is fail to me. Sure, I can count to sixty (usually :) ) but I rather spend the brain power looking around.

Is there anything preventing you from doing a deep stop just because your computer doesn't prompt you for it?

...on the 3 min safety stop @ 15', if the 3 min clock starts @ 15',and I spend 2 mim @ 15', then I dip to 16' for a moment, the LYNX erases credit for my 2 min already spent @ 15', and makes me do another 3 full min @ 15', correct ?

Did my aow on the weekend w the lynx.
Have the tx mounted on a 6" hp hose.

I noticed a few lost sig.
Also had a 4' variance between mine and the instructors vt3 @ 85'.

I think if I was you I would contact Liquivision, I don't have my transmitter mounted on a hose but I have never lost a signal and I dive with a DataMask or VTpro as backup and they are basically the same computer as the VT3 and they show the same depth.

You shouldn't lose the signal if the T1 is mounted directly on the first stage. On a hose your body will shadow the signal and signal loss may occur.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

You shouldn't lose the signal if the T1 is mounted directly on the first stage. On a hose your body will shadow the signal and signal loss may occur.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

That's hard, given the size of the TX.
I find, my wing gets in the way.
I recently switched to a hp 130. Now there is a lot more room. I might remove the hose and put it back.

Funny though. It only happened on one dive. Did my second dive with the same tank, no signal loss.

I have been using the Lynx since Aug and totally support Grifon's user notes and suggestions.

In addition, has anybody experience any issue with their T1 transmitter? Mine stopped working in the middle of my inaugural dive using it (brand new) at Sipadan. On closer examination above water, looking into the transparent end of the T1, there appears to be some water swirling inside! The rest of my dives since then was just done without the AI... Very frustrating!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom