Mask Clearing ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Holy cow! And to think I'm a wussy about touching anything underwater... In some of the other videos they are chewing on your hands. Doesn't it hurt? How long did it take them to get used to you? Are you feeding them?

NEVER NEVER use any food or bait. - potentially dangerous and upsets their natural bahviour.
They are very gentle and although the young ones can get carried away when playing they only nip by accident.
How long ... 14 years observing and recording underwater seal behaviour.

PLEASE note that the seals are 100% in control underwater.
They have the ability to recognise exactly what is you and integral to your body and what is "kit" - eg hood.
A little game is pull the hood off and the neoprene is easy to chew.
Ben

That was pretty darned cool. The other videos, too, BTW. I was a little surprised, though, that your videos seem to feature mostly grey seals rather than harbor seals.

Up here on the other side of the North Sea, we usually see the grey seals quite a bit out towards the open ocean, while the species mostly seen in more sheltered waters is the harbor seal. Are "your" grey seals living closer to the shore than "ours" do, or are you diving pretty far off shore?

There are some islands called the Farne Islands which is where I think Ben would have been diving and they are a little way out to see/sea though I can't remember exactly.

One if the funniest moments I have in diving is when a buddy of mine was carrying a stage cylinder and a seal "popped" in between his stage and his body and looked towards me as if to say - Hey diver am I looking cool or what ? :)

Mask clearing comes in very handy when you have a fit of the giggles :)

Back
Top Bottom