Mask on forehead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Bubbles,

How many divers have you seen in distress? I've seen them panicked, I've seen them too tired to swim to the boat, I've seen them out of air, I've never seen one put his mask on his forehead.

I agree it's not a good plan, like Submariner mentioned, it's a good way to lose a mask. OTOH, if anyone is relying on a mask on the forehead as a sign, they are clueless. If I see a mask on someone's forehead, I'll take a closer look, but I don't assume there's a problem. If I felt the need to investigate further I wouldn't ask, "Are you in distress?" Instead, I'd calmly ask about your dive and take it from there. I still imitate Ana in distress from time to time while cruising along a ledge at depth, I'll roll onto my back, cross my ankles, put my mask on my forehead, place my hands behind my head and chill for awhile.

Walter

Walter,
As experience in diving I will summit you have far greater experience. But as distress I have seen many swimmers. I was a WSI (Water Safety Instructor) for the Red Cross for 5 years when I was a younger man, also was in charge of 5 lifeguards. On 3 occasions I have seen people slip under water with out a splash and almost drown. What im trying to say if you want your mask on you forehead, Go For It. But you your self should know that every one handles distress in different ways and as for me, I don’t want any one to mistake me for some on in trouble. It should be saved for the people that are.

Walter, I was with you all the way, really enjoying your common sense approach to the whole mask on forehead thing, until you got to the part about

"from time to time while cruising along a ledge at depth, I'll roll onto my back, cross my ankles, put my mask on my forehead, place my hands behind my head and chill for awhile.'

Am I reading that right? You sometimes cruise "at depth" with on your back with your mask on your forehead?

Why?

If Walter were "at depth" and he slipped his mask onto his forehead, he would be in distress! Now, is that so hard to understand?

And who is this guy Iguana Don and why does he start threads like this? Doesn't he have more important things to do--like testing his bean-driven divermobile?

Joewr

My point is a mask on your forehead is not a reliable indication of distress. We need to educate folks that it is merely a possible sign of trouble. I see DM's focus on a mask on someone's forehead when that diver is obviously comfortable and confident when they ignore other more reliable signs of an impending problem.

I don't put my mask on my forehead (except to tease Ana) because it's not particularly comfortable for me and if there's any rough water it's an excellent way to lose a mask. I'm not defending my right to put my mask on my forehead, instead, I'm pointing out that it has very little or no value as an indication of trouble.

I cruise at depth frequently with out my mask. It's part of staying current with skills. Practice makes perfect. Except for blurred vision, I'm as comfortable without a mask while diving as with one. I want to stay that way. I'll swim along for several minutes at a time without my mask. When Ana's around, I add the flair just to tease her a bit and remind her about that idiot DM.

WWW™

Just topics that cross my mind and wonder what the masses think.

The things I think of would scare you!

ID.....relative to all things scaled.

This thread has me wondering why a mask on the forehead indicates a diver in distress. I did my OW in '94 and was taught that it means the diver is in distress but I wasn't taught WHY it means that. I thought it was a silly notion at the time. Can anyone tell me where this concept came from?

The mask on the forehead is generally not a wise habit to get into. The distress question completely aside (Walter has it precisely right, by the way), habitually placing the mask on the forehead will lose you a mask sooner or later. (it'll also upset the Scuba Police 'cause if you're not in distress you're messing up their system)
Of course, if you always carry an extra mask and you have deep pockets for frequent replacements, have at it. I promise not to rescue you without secondary indications of the need to do so.
Rick

Okay, everyone has an opinion of whether the mask should be worn on the forehead when not in distress. The consensus seems to be leaning to not wearing the mask on your forehead unless you want to lose it. This does not assist divers like me (and I know we are more than a few) who have been strangled by wearing the mask around our necks so as not to appear in distress, only to actually become distressed by the strangling. So to put it in a nutshell, I would rather risk losing a mask then strangling on my mask, and taking the risk of swallowing water and in the more extreme case risk drowning as a result. So until the long necks of the world can tell us short necks of the world how not to strangle on the mask around the neck, I'll be wearing mine on my forehead when so inclined.

PS Please don't suggest loosening the mask strap, been there-done that, it doesn't work. BTW, I haven't lost a mask yet.

Laura

First choice is to wear it on the face whenever in the water. (that's what I do)
Second choice (if you don't want to wear it 'round your neck) is to wear it around your wrist.
Third, stuff it in a pocket
Fourth, turn it around so the strap's across your forehead and the mask skirt is anchored at the base of your skull.
Fifth - wear it on your forehead - but when you lose it don't say you weren't warned.
Rick (seen 'em disappear with remarkable regularity)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom