Mask on forehead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread is beginning to remind me of the people traisping around on the dead whale with great whites feeding all about. They had to be protecting from their own stupidity. So I guess divers who manage to lose their masks should also be protected from themselves. However, I can't imagine how some of the divers with such "big heads" manage to let the mask slip off!

Laura

Rick's right, I generally leave mine on my face until I'm on the boat. My mask is comfortable underwater and on top of the water.

WWW™

I think maybe you meant in "your opinion" Rick is right.

BTW, I don't remove my mask in choppy or rough water.

Laura

Laura,

The vast majority of everything we discuss is opinion, you get no arguments from me on that count.

Ask yourself this, what is the purpose of a mask? It is designed to fit on your face. Put it anywhere you like, but there's rarely any reason I'm aware of for removing it from your face until you are out of the water. If it's on your forehead, I won't automatically assume you are in trouble.

Funny how in this thread I've been identified as one who routinely places his mask on his forehead, violating safety rules and one who is telling folks not to do so. I fit neither catagory.

WWW™

I have to admit that I had never heard of "mask on forehead = diver in distress". It doesnt seem to make much sense to me as I think a diver in distress is more likely to throw it away rather than carefully place it on his forehead. I always leave mine in place until I exit the water as I dont want to lose it and miss the next dive

Putting your mask on your forehead = having to pay the apres-diving tacos for your entire dive group. (that's how it works here in Mexico)... :D

Damn. No need to get so fired up. I think Rick and Walter are just trying to give you some tips on other ways to secure a mask. I don't like my mask around my neck either. I usually leave it on or put it around my wrist (like Rick mentioned). Put your mask on your forehead if you want to. No one called you stupid because you wear it on your forehead and I think the "big heads" remark was a bit much. These guys are just trying to give you some useful advice(and Rick and Walter both have more diving experience than you). Take their advice if you want to, don't if you don't want to. It's no skin off their noses either way. Personally, I appreciate the advice I'm given from those more experienced than me( even if I tailor it to suit my needs or don't even use it at all). Lighten up.

p.s.
Joewr, you should lighten up, too. No one is forcing you to read(or participate) in Don's thread. If it's such a useless thread, why are you in it?

Hey, Zagnut,

I guess I have to mark my notes "humorous" when I am trying to be funny or clever...I like IGD's pokes in the web ribs and thought I would poke him back a little. I guess I was being too subtle--or as Andy Dufrain (Shawshank Redemption, sp?) would say, "obtuse".

Sorry!

Joewr

After a week of travelling all over Texas & selling my fannie off, I LAUGHED OUT LOUD while reading this thread! Thank you! (Especially those of you whom made the smart a@@ remarks regarding placing the mask over your face prior to descending).

Back
Top Bottom