Mask won't clear...What's wrong with me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I were your instructor THIS is EXACTLY what I would fix.

Now I'm more convinced of it than I was before. Your problem is that you haven't been taught an efficient technique.

Promise me that you'll at least *try* what I suggested. If you can't get it to work, fine. But it may also give you you're "Eureka" moment.

R..

I'm guessing OP is also not equalizing the mask effectively on decent. The only reason to need to blow hard or pull the mask off the face is if the mask is jammed onto your face by water pressure. Additionally/alteranatively OP might have the mask on too tight. It's counter-intutive but the main cause of a leaky mask is having it on too TIGHT. Then it leaks... so the student tightens it even more... so it leaks even more. The strap should be only tight enough to keep the mask from floating away. Beyond making it harder to overcome the pressure... being too tight (or too small) can press the nose pocket right against the nostrils.

If your mask leaks... loosen it.

PS - I coach students to "fill the mask with air" rather than to "clear" the mask. Does a better job conveying how to perform the skill.

Try this:

Instead of using your fingertips to hold on to the mask, place the heel of your hand on the top of your mask, look up, and breathe out through your nose. Long & steady.

Don't think so, Ray. This would be something a stressed student would do. This student is not stressed, just using the wrong technique.

"fill the mask" instead of "clear the mask" seems like a good way to describe what I was saying before.....

R..

Diver0001's advice is solid. I basically do the same. Don't lift. Apply slight pressure to the top of the mask. Top assumes you are oriented head up. Since air rises in water, this will apply a bit of extra pressure to the top, where the air will go, while the water is forced out of the bottom.

If you still have trouble, try a low volume mask. Since they are low volume, it will only take a tiny bit of air to clear.

Sorry guys, I think there is a misunderstanding in my post. The mask in question doesn't leak in any way that causes me stress. Thats why I have made it through ten dives without needing to clear it (except the one time it slipped off my head, but thats probably my long hair coming out of its braids)
It doesn't push on my face or leave marks, even at 100 ft., so I believe it is equalized.

I just can't seem to clear it from a FULL flood. Partial, no problem. When I try to clear from a Full flood it causes water bubbles around my nose (sometimes forcing it up my nose OUCH) and doesn't push any water out, unless I pull the nose piece away a bit, which is very tricky and usually I just flood it again and again.

Edited to add: This is a skill I am working on becaue I think it's important. Not a problem with a leaky mask.

Sorry guys, I think there is a misunderstanding in my post. The mask in question doesn't leak in any way that causes me stress. Thats why I have made it through ten dives without needing to clear it (except the one time it slipped off my head, but thats probably my long hair coming out of its braids)
It doesn't push on my face or leave marks, even at 100 ft., so I believe it is equalized.

I just can't seem to clear it from a FULL flood. Partial, no problem. When I try to clear from a Full flood it causes water bubbles around my nose (sometimes forcing it up my nose OUCH) and doesn't push any water out, unless I pull the nose piece away a bit, which is very tricky and usually I just flood it again and again.

Edited to add: This is a skill I am working on becaue I think it's important. Not a problem with a leaky mask.

How "full" is the mask when you do a partial clear? There is no reason whatsoever that a full flood/clear would be harder or more difficult... the water in either case is on the bottom of the mask where your nose is. How are you flooding the mask? Are you flooding it differently for one versus the other? Perhaps in a way the moves the mask on your face, pushing the mask against your nostrils?

I usually clear it when I am diving as soon as any water gets in.

When it is much fuller than I would ever let it get underwater, say to about below my eyes, it either just bubbles or I have to lift the piece of skirting at the bottom a bit and time it really well.

My goal is to be able to take it off and replace it underwater. A pretty simple open water skill. It just isn't going very well. On the plus side I did do it once during my original open water pool session.

I have seen students in masks where the nose pocket was conformed in a way that caused the inner edge of the skirt, bordering the nose, to form a seal on the cheek. Those students actually DO have to pull the mask slightly away from their face to clear it, and they have to master the timing of dropping the mask back onto the face as their exhale through their nose ends. Such students have a much worse time if the mask strap is too tight. Make sure your strap is only tight enough to keep the mask from falling off; a mask that fits properly should actually stay on your face quite well with no strap at all, so long as you do not exhale into it.

I have seen students in masks where the nose pocket was conformed in a way that caused the inner edge of the skirt, bordering the nose, to form a seal on the cheek. Those students actually DO have to pull the mask slightly away from their face to clear it, and they have to master the timing of dropping the mask back onto the face as their exhale through their nose ends. Such students have a much worse time if the mask strap is too tight. Make sure your strap is only tight enough to keep the mask from falling off; a mask that fits properly should actually stay on your face quite well with no strap at all, so long as you do not exhale into it.

The mask seems to fit without the strap no problem, even when walking around. What you have described with lifting the skirt a bit is exactly what I need to learn how to do with it. I did it once or twice today (after a lot of frustration and stress) but not very well. If that is the case I'm just going to throw it in the extra mask pile for snorkelers to borrow at the lake this year and buy a new one.

Is one with a purge valve worthwhile? It might solve the problem.....

And I'm still getting in the pool tomorrow to work on it. At least the groundskeeper here will be amused...I can clean the filter for him while I'm at it!

Is one with a purge valve worthwhile? It might solve the problem.....

eehhhhhh.... I wouldn't do that. It sounds like your mask fits fine. No reason to replace it.

also, I have a personal allergy for compensating for skill or technique issues with gear. I'd rather refine the skill and technique.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom