Mask won't clear...What's wrong with me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Absolutely! No need for scuba gear to practice mask clearing.

QUESTION: Can I practice clearing my mask in the pool with just a snorkel, no air tank? It would sure make life easier.

I perfected my mask clearing in my neighbours pool with nothing other than my mask - and a swimsuit :)

Even the snorkel is not required, but it won't necessarily hurt.

If you attach the snorkel to your mask when you dive, the remove / replace practice will feel more natural if you leave it on, but it does not impact the clear technique at all.

QUESTION: Can I practice clearing my mask in the pool with just a snorkel, no air tank? It would sure make life easier.

Of course. A word of advice though, try to do it leaning forward (the way you would dive) and not just sitting on your knees. That way you're practicing the skill the way it will be applied while diving.

R..

The mask clearing exercise with snorkel went pretty badly, if I do say so myself. I just couldn't get enough air in my lungs to clear the mask after a full removal. Nothing like a nose of over chlorinated pool water to make me give up.

I am really late to this party, so sorry. I read all the Posts and see that you had some measure of success.

When I have students who can effectively clear a partially or fully flooded mask, but cannot clear the mask when it has been removed and replaced, it often comes down to one thing.

When they put the mask back on, they have the base of the nose pocket shoved right up against their nostrils and don't take the time to adjust the mask down a bit to a proper fit before they try to clear it. They exhale gently, but the air cannot go into the mask and instead bubbles out below the nose.

It's pretty easy to tell when looking the person doing this - it looks like they have a "piggy-nose".

Take the time to ensure it is properly fitted once you have it back on your face. You have lots of time, you have lots of air. No need to "rush".

Last edited:
The mask clearing exercise with snorkel went pretty badly, if I do say so myself. I just couldn't get enough air in my lungs to clear the mask after a full removal. Nothing like a nose of over chlorinated pool water to make me give up.

It took me several hours in the pool to get it, but nothing really clicked until I stopped trying so hard and bought into "less is more". Once I truly internalized that, I could do several clears on a single breath. I know the instinct is to blow hard but you have to resist that, it is counter productive. If this is not what you are doing, I will echo what others have expressed, try repositioning your mask.

Think about how much air your lungs hold versus the volume of the mask. You can do this.

Don't give up.

Try this: Get in the pool with your mask on, and stand in shallow water. Bend over and fully flood your mask -- get it completely filled with water. Now stand up, so your face is in a normal, vertical orientation. Put your fingers very gently on the top of the mask, and VERY SLOWLY bubble water out your nose into the mask. The water level should slowly fall, and you will see how LITTLE air you need to put into a mask to clear it.

If you do this and the mask does not clear, try taking your fingers off the top. If it still doesn't clear, loosen the mask strap until it barely holds the mask on. If it still won't clear, then the nose pocket is sealing along the edges, against your face. This can be solved by VERY carefully pulling the bottom of the mask off your face -- not until it's absolutely not touching, but until it just barely touches.

The problem with having to do that may very well be what is causing your difficulties, and that is that, if you pull the mask away from your face, the minute you stop bubbling air into it, the water rushes back. Although the technique can be mastered with enough practice, I would at that point suggest a different mask that doesn't fit so tightly around your nose.

I'm not sure if you are still looking for a new mask, or have already bought one, but I will respond to suggestion at looking for a new mask. I am partial to the Atomic Subframe mask and the frameless. I have not tried the frameless 2 or venom fyi. When I first started using the sub-frame it leaked a little but after putting some time on it in the water it stopped. The leaks was just me contorting my face, which is why my masks leak anyways, smile lines. It's a low volume mask that I has become my favorite mask. I only have one Atomic right now, but have tried my brothers frameless. I will be getting another one in the future for my back-up, currently my back-up is a dive rite. It would be best to find a shop that lets you try one in a pool and would exchange masks until you find one that fits properly. Again my $0.02 is the atomic, but ultimately the best mask for you is the one that fits you.

I am really late to this party, so sorry. I read all the Posts and see that you had some measure of success.

When I have students who can effectively clear a partially or fully flooded mask, but cannot clear the mask when it has been removed and replaced, it often comes down to one thing.

When they put the mask back on, they have the base of the nose pocket shoved right up against their nostrils and don't take the time to adjust the mask down a bit to a proper fit before they try to clear it. They exhale gently, but the air cannot go into the mask and instead bubbles out below the nose.

It's pretty easy to tell when looking the person doing this - it looks like they have a "piggy-nose".

Take the time to ensure it is properly fitted once you have it back on your face. You have lots of time, you have lots of air. No need to "rush".

I think it is this exactly. I'm loving these responses! Thanks guys. Gcarter and TSandM also big thanks. I'm just going to keep practicing. I would eventually love to get my dive master or instructor card, so I know I need to be very proficient at skills. Just gotta keep working on it :) In the meantime I'm headed to Toronto to do some shopping and I'm taking all the mask suggestions seriously.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom