Mask won't clear...What's wrong with me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the other hand I've used purge valve masks for 30+ years and really like the simplicity of just exhaling through my nose a little.

Update: It's the (insert expletive here) mask! The same mask with a slightly bigger nose pocket clears no problem, even if I take the damn thing off and put it back on.

I am still buying a newer better mask when I get home, my current masks were bought with the express intent to snorkel with anyways. AND I'm still going to keep practicing, because I want to be able to use the seaweed here to defog eventually (not as good a defogger but everyone here seems to swear by it)

I think the nose pocket on the (expletive) mask was not letting the water out. Who knows? The same mask with the bigger nose pocket is giving me no stress, so I'm going to use it instead (even though it doesn't match my gear as nicely). Using a mask that I have to monkey with to do a full clear isn't something I'm interested in. I honestly thought I was losing my mind these last few days. Lesson learned, the mask shouldn't hug your nose and fully check out any gear before diving to make sure they perform the way they are supposed to.

I go home for a shopping trip in five days.....If money is no problem what mask do I get???

What mask do you currently have that you are having trouble with? That would probably help to get more focused recommendations.

Question. Now that you have identified that the mask is the cause of the trouble, can you feel the difference between that mask and the one with the slightly larger nose pocket on dry land? If you can, try on several and see what has that same feeling, and what doesn't.

When I'm not using my camera mask, I like my Oceanic Shadow. Very low profile, easy to clear (at least for me). IIRC, they come in 3 different styles/sizes.

Yes I can notice a difference on dry land between the nose pocket of the two masks. They are both Cressi Platina, I bought them about four years ago to snorkel with. You can see the difference in the nose just looking at them. Other than that they are the same. One is my husbands and one is mine. Both fit my face well, although mine (the one with the smaller nose pocket) fits my face nicer.

Is it worth it to buy these $250 masks with all the bells and whistles or should I just find a good fit and not worry about it? I'm not sure I like the idea of black silicone skirting...it just seems like I would lose some valuable light...but I could be wrong.

$250 for a mask? Oh. Hell. No.

Find one that fits.

I really like the black, I feel it actually improves my vision.

I have a mask with a clear skirt as well but prefer the black.

It's great that you solved the problem, and I admire your tenacity. Well done.

My question about when you wrote:
I am still buying a newer better mask
What will make a new mask a "better" mask? And what is wrong with the one that you were able to clear? (the old "if it ain't broke..")

I also agree with Keith M $250...no
Most important is fit-and, based on what you've said in this thread, an appropriate nose pocket.

I'd suggest that you shop where you can "try it out"-in the water. (I'm not sure how many shops let you do that any more.)
or, absent that, can you try masks belonging to friends,etc?
Good luck with it and with your diving.

Well, that's more than just a mask. And really, since it's also an Air integrated computer, it's not a bad price.

A $250 mask is most probably overkill. A mask has two jobs. Keep water out, and allow you to see. As long as it does that, there's no need to spend so much. I'd avoid a mask with a clear skirt, as they can let light in around the edges leading to glare. A black skirt only allows light in through the lens, so you can usually see better. Underwater hunters & photographers tend to use black skirts.

My first scuba mask was pretty much a mistake. Wasn't all that expensive, but I was only 15 at the time. Still have it 25 years later, so I guess it's held up well. Was a tri-window model. Advertised as improved peripheral vision. Out of the water, it worked well. Once in the water, the refraction effect made it very disorienting, as there was a sizeable blind spot between the side windows and the front. So don't spend extra money on gimmicks.

It's great that you solved the problem, and I admire your tenacity. Well done.

My question about when you wrote:

What will make a new mask a "better" mask? And what is wrong with the one that you were able to clear? (the old "if it ain't broke..")

I also agree with Keith M $250...no
Most important is fit-and, based on what you've said in this thread, an appropriate nose pocket.

I'd suggest that you shop where you can "try it out"-in the water. (I'm not sure how many shops let you do that any more.)
or, absent that, can you try masks belonging to friends,etc?
Good luck with it and with your diving.

The two masks I have fit somewhat, but are pretty far from perfect. I dove with the new one today and I can clear it, but it doesn't fit perfectly. I'm hoping I can at least try them in the hotel pool and maybe return the ones that don't work. I will only be in town for a few days.

Hopefully I can take my time and find a good mask.

QUESTION: Can I practice clearing my mask in the pool with just a snorkel, no air tank? It would sure make life easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom