Maui Dive Shop.... a joke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ummm... decrease in pressure = decrease in temperature (moisture isn't a huge problem because the air is usually filtered, however it is still a minor concern). This occurs in the air source.

increase in pressure = increase in heat. If you fill a tank quickly, it's temperature will increase dramatically. When your tank cools... the tank's pressure drop will be noticeable.

fishb0y:
Ummm... decrease in pressure = decrease in temperature (moisture isn't a huge problem because the air is usually filtered, however it is still a minor concern). This occurs in the air source.

increase in pressure = increase in heat. If you fill a tank quickly, it's temperature will increase dramatically. When your tank cools... the tank's pressure drop will be noticeable.
Not to mention that rapid increases in pressure are much more likely to cause ruptures to the container.

Think of an empty soda bottle -- gently step on it, no problem. If the cap is a little worn and you just up and jump on it, the cap can get blown off.

4200 LB tanks fills from a LDS? Ya right. Maybe your looking at the CO2 tanks for the soda machine? That would explain the CO2 concerns.

Wildcard:
4200 LB tanks fills from a LDS? Ya right. Maybe your looking at the CO2 tanks for the soda machine? That would explain the CO2 concerns.
haha!

Yeah, or the fill is *so* quick that by the time they make it to the dive site, they're sitting down around 2800 like everybody else's! :D

I'm going to guess... just a guess... that they don't crank the valves open because, when air is going through such a small hole, such as with a tank valve, when the air gets to moving quickly, it can cause moisture... And, as we all know, moisture is a no no for tanks!

That's true... if there is any moisture to be found. :)

The air compressed in the tank (hopefully) is still *extremely* dry, and the air going into the tank should also be so.

Therefore, condensation just isn't very likely... :)

All I know is a reputable source who hydros tanks informed me of the fines associated with: filling tanks more than 1000 psi per minute and more than tank rated for, but it is just what he told me. Judging his reputation, I'll opt for safety; to each his/ her own, until a tank blows up. If your gear is XL, please put me in your wills. PM me for contact info....

Just out ofcuriousity...

1) How does the carbon get into the tanks to form CO2?

2) Who is it that levies/enforces these fines?

Ian

ianw2:
Just out ofcuriousity...

1) How does the carbon get into the tanks to form CO2?

2) Who is it that levies/enforces these fines?

Ian
Answer to #2: I believe it's the Dept. of Transportation that regulates these things... since cylinders have to be "DOT Approved".

uhm....every cave diver in florida, who fill their steel tanks regularly to 3500-3800 PSI for a LP steel tank would create a lot of revenue for the DOT. I am not advocating overfilling tanks, I am just saying that I have never heard of anyone being "fined" for overfilling their tank.....

In reality overfilling an Al tank is not a good idea, a steel is another story.

***Warning this is the author's personal opinion...do not overfill tanks past their rated pressure***

Scuba and Dream:
...? Yeah all those cave divers in Florida bring an extra thousand dollars to pay for their fills....erm I mean fines. :) Speaking of which, Jimbo you owe me 1200 bucks you overfilled your tanks the other night in my garage.
:rofl3: :rofl3: My Air/Nitrox fills this year alone have cost me $200,000. Who was it that said "scuba is cheap"

Ya, I say hogwash to the overfill fines as well. I regularly fill my Hp's to 3800psi, and my AL's to 3300........if I had some LP's, I would really be writing the checks I guess.....

my rule...bump em', cool em', then bump em again..............

DISCLAIMER: DO NOT OVERFILL YOUR TANKS ABOVE THE RATES PSI....BESIDES NOT BEING SAFE, THE TANK NAZI'S WILL FINE YOU!

Back
Top Bottom