Mid-Range BP/W Suggestions for Newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My advice is to buy a steel plate, with a normal webbing setup z(no fastex nickels or anything) then dive it. Depending on the manufacture you may need an STA but regardless a steel plate will serve you getter than other materials and weight your rig for most situations ESP in a single tank.
I bought my last one off Craig's lists for 200 complete. A halcyon full system.
Most important thing is setting it up really not whom it's made by...

Something else to consider, your suit normally provides any padding you may need. But having a pocket on the plate is really nice z(directly mounted to the middle of the plate not hanging off of the webbing).
Under water the shoulders are loose so padding is only to carry the tanks to the water, after that its useless.
One of my systems has padding the other doesn't frankly it makes no difference.

I'm not going to wade into to the DIN, long hose debate.
I do dive din, long hose, and well I'm GUE trained too.

It depends on what you want to do, really as to what your setup is.

For me it's about consistency in my rig (I dive weekly year round, in various environments). Enough said there.

Thanks all- looks like I'll be using the second reg on the necklace rather than an inline octo, less to worry about at this early stage in my diving. But, I appreciate all the input. I also called my local dive shop, and they don't service HOG regs, so I'll be going with a Hollis reg package instead (DC1 swivel and the 212 Adjustable for the primary, 221 non-adjustable for the oct just to save $50. I've tried to calculate the lift needed for my wing (using the lift calculator spreadsheet here), but that seems like a pretty hard thing to do with all the variables, so I'll be going with the 35lb lift wing. I don't think I will be able to get away with a 25lb wing for coldwater, especially if I move to diving HP steel 117, which is what I would love to do for more bottom time.

Also, I was looking at gauges and computer set-ups, and found a reasonably priced integrated air computer with compass: Mares Puck Air / Nitrox Integrated Dive Computer 414162 with reviews at scuba.com I like the idea of only having to look at one place for everything, rather than having a separate small pressure gauge, and a wrist computer, for instance. It is $500- anyone have experience with this unit? It has gotten pretty good reviews, including on a top 10 dive computer list I found.

Also, I was looking at gauges and computer set-ups, and found a reasonably priced integrated air computer with compass: Mares Puck Air / Nitrox Integrated Dive Computer 414162 with reviews at scuba.com I like the idea of only having to look at one place for everything, rather than having a separate small pressure gauge, and a wrist computer, for instance. It is $500- anyone have experience with this unit? It has gotten pretty good reviews, including on a top 10 dive computer list I found.

Having to only look at one piece of gear is what many of us thought was a good idea, until you realize the other folks here actually know what they are talking about. I would go with a simple brass and glass SPG on the proper length hose clipped off to your left hip, a compass in a DSS bungee mount boot on your left wrist and a simple computer (my pick would be the Hollis DG02) mounted to the right wrist(and find a way to add bungees to make mounting easier). You will find that the more you dive the less you need to look at your SPG, not because your becoming careless but because when you look at it you already know what it reads before seeing the actual pressure reading. The two things you will look at the most will be your compass and your depth and time, those things will be readily available out in front of you. And al three components will cost less than the all in one unit.

---------- Post added November 18th, 2012 at 11:25 AM ----------

I forgot to add what I thought about the top ten computer list. Most likely it was made up by a magazine that the manufacturers of the top ten computers advertise in. The reason I recommend the DG02 is because it is an inexpensive computer you will never outgrow no matter how far you go in diving. The DG02 can be had from Scubatoys with the 10% SB discount for $225, it is dead simple to program and operate and it has a gauge mode. I had the predecessor to the DG02 the Oceanic VEO180, I "upgraded to the ScubaPro 2G for a few features I thought I wanted and now I would love to have my VEO180 back. I have given up trying to navigate the 2G"s menu system now I just use my laptop to change parameters, The VEO180 I never had to look at the manual to program it. Scuba lab gave the 2G much higher scores than the DG02 and the Veo180, most likely because of all the extra "features".

Thanks Aqua Andy- good suggestions, but I really like the cleanliness and streamlining of only one place to look for everything- having three locations to look- wrist, spg, and separate compass seems unnecessary to me, but might be more in tune with your tech diving style.

Yeah, who knows the criteria for the top 10 list! But, I've looked at the model on several sites, and it consistently gets good reviews, so that is more ammunition. It would be nice if I could try out different computers before buying them, but it seems like once things get wet, they are yours!

Not to argue but the you really cannot say that carrying a dangling brick is streamlining. At the very least get a 24" hose and mount the compass on your wrist. You will be much more streamlined and the compass will be easier to read if you do a lot of compass work. As Aqua Andy mentioned as your diving skills and confidence develops you will look at your SPG less and less.

Also wait sign up for the online stores mailing lists. The deals are coming.

Not to argue but the you really cannot say that carrying a dangling brick is streamlining.

Who says that the OP is going to let the thing dangle? Are you saying that a console air integrated computer can't be clipped off to a D-ring, or just held in the hand?

At the very least get a 24" hose and mount the compass on your wrist. You will be much more streamlined and the compass will be easier to read if you do a lot of compass work. As Aqua Andy mentioned as your diving skills and confidence develops you will look at your SPG less and less.

Also wait sign up for the online stores mailing lists. The deals are coming.

Compass work is a lot easier if it's held way out in front of your face ala a hosed console. You can see both the compass and your computer read-out.

Back
Top Bottom