Moving To Hawaii Based On Which Island Has The Best Shore Diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lol....:D

Now this is my opinion. I haven't lived on any of the other Islands so I can't say if I would like it there or not. But from what I have experienced in the 5 years I've been living here I can say:

I am originally from Chicago and lived in Germany before I moved here....Living in Waikiki is totally different from anywhere I've lived before - and it isn't only the paradise thing.

I gave up a lot to live here. I had a nice place to live with all the "things" one so needs, had a good job with a computer company (with lots benefits i.e. "14 paychecks" and quarterly bonuses), on the side I was a trade show & shop demonstrator, book author traveling Europe and the US for the craft industry and have (had) family and a nice circle of friends. You could say I was living the rat race.

We have a small apartment/studio with parking for one car in the building next door - our other car is parked (for free) 8 blocks away...gives my husband a chance to get a good walk everyday :D I love that we can walk to Waikiki and people watch, stroll along the beach, watch the fireworks on Friday nights with out having to pull the car out....we can pick where we want to eat, any style of cuisine, from the many restaurants - all within a few blocks. I find the bustle interesting...and I don't think it's too busy (but I do admit I get a bit upset when every now and then, in the wee hours of Friday or Saturday, the drunk tourist/locals feel they have to proclaim their love/hate at the top of their lungs). I also feel safe to go outside at 1AM and see Waikiki waking up, enjoy the sunrise over Diamond head (yes I've done it :D).

If I want to go shopping, everything is in within a short distance and I can get almost everything I want (not necessarily so on the other Islands - less selection/higher cost).

Health care is better on Oahu - for some things people have to be flown over here to be cared for.

If I get tired of the city and need a change of scenery I can drive - relatively quick to someplace more interesting or peaceful: China Town, the Valley of the Temples, walk up Diamond Head, relax at the secret beach, watch waves on the North shore, Swap Meet...taking my camera along and share what I see with others.

I love diving here, I love our wrecks and reefs.....love hunting for the little critters and seeing something new (had a Galopagos shark on my last dive come within 20 feet). If I want to dive - that is right here off of Waikiki too...or I drive to one of the other sides of the Island.

I've made new friends here, thru work, thru scuba and thru SB (great people here on Oahu).

My job gives me lots of flexibility, giving me lots off time to discover all Oahu has to offer. Right now I'm enjoying life here :D

TerryTat:
Let Me First Start Out By Saying.. I Am Moving Over There To Live A Simple Life Away..
well.. you can have a "simple life" on oahu..
just live on the north-shore.. near haleiwa, waimea bay, sunset, etc..
it's got a small town feel up there..
and in the late spring, summer, and early autumn.. there's great shore diving up north..

and if/when you're ever wanting for civilization.. you can alway zip down to waikiki..

btw.. the east shore is quiet too.. kanehoe bay, kailua bay, etc..
great views of the turquois water bay..
overshadowed by tall vertical lush green mountains..

God, it really is one of my goals one day to be able to post this topic.

Hi,

I have never lived in the Islands, but I have spent lots of time on each over the past 20 years. All of them have their special pleasures and none is immune from creating Island Fever. Island Fever is a function more of the person than the island.

Hawaii, the Big Island, has to most land, but it is very unpopulated and has very limited "civilized" attractions. And that is exactly why I love it!

Kauai is at the other end of the spectrum in terms of size, but it is really a country cousin to the others. And very nice...

Oahu is where you would want to live if you needed quick access to all the things you are probably used to in So. Calif. And it suffers from some of the same problems. But I swear, if you got up in the morning and gazed upon Diamondhead or drove east a few minutes to the Windward Side, you would never regret living there.

Maui has a sort of mix of it all. It does not have a city like Honolulu, but it sure has darn near all the amenities of "civilization". And I like Maui, too.

Now, since you are amongst the well-heeled, no matter which of the islands you choose, Hawaiin Air or Aloha Air will scoot you to another isle in minutes...

As for the best shore diving...each isle has its treats and cannot, in my humble opinion, be discounted. That includes Kauai and its very neat muck diving....

However, you might consider avoiding the Hilo side of Hawaii and the Princeville area of Kauai...they are just a bit rainy....just a bit...like world class...

joewr

Sounds like the Big Isle and Maui are probably what you're looking for - visit each one (for at least a month each if possible) and then decide for yourself :D

Aww...wish I could go to Hawaii, but then again, I could also go to vietnam too :D.

justleesa:
And what would you do there? do you speak vietnamese?

Hey, Leesa,

Have a look at his family name: my guess is that he is fluent!

And now I am curious: Roy, have you ever dived of Viet Nam? If so, how is/was it?

joewr

:11:...didn't even see that down there :wink:...thanks for the heads up Joe

This summer I'm going to Nha Trang and dive there. :) My aunt was diving there a couple month ago and the water and vis was so clear it was almost diving in pure water. That is the number purpose of why I got into diving. But then I want to go to Hawaii too :wink:. Yeah I speak vietnamese too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom