Moving To Hawaii Based On Which Island Has The Best Shore Diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joewr:
Hawaii, the Big Island, has to most land, but it is very unpopulated and has very limited "civilized" attractions. And that is exactly why I love it!

Kauai is at the other end of the spectrum in terms of size, but it is really a country cousin to the others. And very nice...

Oahu is where you would want to live if you needed quick access to all the things you are probably used to in So. Calif. And it suffers from some of the same problems. ...

Maui has a sort of mix of it all. It does not have a city like Honolulu, but it sure has darn near all the amenities of "civilization". And I like Maui, too.
That pretty much is my impression of the islands over 30 years of repeated visits and 3 years of owning a condo in Kihei. Kind of like the Goldilocks and 3 Bears children's tale. Oahu is too busy for my taste. Big Island and Kauai are too dead. Maui is the one that is just right. :)

Having said that, as Maui continues to develop, it moves more and more towards the Oahu model of too many people and too many cars. There are areas that are really busy, but it is not too hard to get off to a quiet spot. If you are looking 20 years down the road, though, Big Island will be going from too quiet and remote to "just right".

Don't discount the possibility of buying into more than one island. Condos are relatively headache-free if you have a good owner's association and a good rental agent taking care of it while you are gone. If you go that route, I'd suggest 1 in Kihei/Wailea and 1 on the dry side (Kona side) of the Big Island.

Charlie Allen

justleesa:
I do admit I get a bit upset when every now and then, in the wee hours of Friday or Saturday, the drunk tourist/locals feel they have to proclaim their love/hate at the top of their lungs

Sorry leesa...I didn't realize that was your apartment :D

joewr:
Hi,

I have never lived in the Islands, but I have spent lots of time on each over the past 20 years. All of them have their special pleasures and none is immune from creating Island Fever. Island Fever is a function more of the person than the island.

Hawaii, the Big Island, has to most land, but it is very unpopulated and has very limited "civilized" attractions. And that is exactly why I love it!

Kauai is at the other end of the spectrum in terms of size, but it is really a country cousin to the others. And very nice...

Oahu is where you would want to live if you needed quick access to all the things you are probably used to in So. Calif. And it suffers from some of the same problems. But I swear, if you got up in the morning and gazed upon Diamondhead or drove east a few minutes to the Windward Side, you would never regret living there.

Maui has a sort of mix of it all. It does not have a city like Honolulu, but it sure has darn near all the amenities of "civilization". And I like Maui, too.

Now, since you are amongst the well-heeled, no matter which of the islands you choose, Hawaiin Air or Aloha Air will scoot you to another isle in minutes...

As for the best shore diving...each isle has its treats and cannot, in my humble opinion, be discounted. That includes Kauai and its very neat muck diving....

However, you might consider avoiding the Hilo side of Hawaii and the Princeville area of Kauai...they are just a bit rainy....just a bit...like world class...

joewr

Although sometimes the local mistake me for one of them, I have never lived in Hawaii, and I have only visited 3 of the islands (Oahu, Big Island, Maui). However, I feel joe has hit the mark with his commentary.

Oahu is definitely "urban jungle", but it's not hard to find some solitude there too. One of my favorite places is Ka'ena Point which is the extreme northwest corner of the island. Much of its solitude comes from the fact you can't drive there, you must walk from either end of Farrington Highway.

Maui is beautiful but quite expensive. Last time I was there, gasoline was 50 cents/gallon more in Kahului than in Waikiki. Go to the more out of the way parts like towards Hana and the price is even higher. And as already mentioned, the infrastructure is already starting to strain under the weight of all those tourists and newcomers to the island. There is a particularly annoying intersection (near the airport) where it seems like ALL of Maui's traffic is funnelled :11:

My favorite, like joe's, is the Big Island. It's definitely slow, but I like it for that reason. Hilo is definitely no Honolulu, but it has most of everything you'll need, and is a nice glimpse of island life prior to high-rise hotels and affordable jet travel. Hopefully the state will finally upgrade the Saddle Road and thus cut down the driving time between Hilo and Kona.

I don't know if anybody can confirm this, but a friend of mine in Honolulu says that you cannot buy insurance for your house if it's located on the Big Island, due to the presence of the volcanoes.

So much to think about!!!! I do worry about Island fever just a little bit. Therefore Oahu would be the best bet as far as that is concerned.
I personally loved the Big Island. However I'm afraid my 14 year old would go crazy because it IS too slow paced. I've always liked Maui. But the prices scare me.
I know in Oahu shore diving is only good about half of the year.
Justleesa, what do you do the other half as far as diving goes?
Do you fly to other islands? How much could one expect to pay for inter-island flights?
Also, forgive me for getting a little personal. What can one expect to pay for a place like yours? On the other hand, I really would like to reinvest my equitable profit into another house or condo. Did you buy, or are you renting? I know that prices can be all over the place. However all I'm looking for is a simple, two bedroom two bath condo or home. Preferably a condo, (hopefully the walls are somewhat thick. I love bass, especially during movies) because I don't want to have to spend time on the yard etc.
I would only need one car for now. Where do you keep your dive gear?
I'm sure I'll have more questions later. But it's Monday morning... and the brain is fuzzy thinking of the hamster wheel i get to jump on. Run like Hell and the scenery never changes!!!!!
TAT

If you're lucky you can get a flight for $29, one way....I have a Hawaiian air flymiles account and now have a few flights saved up for free.

Our place is pretty small, but we also have storage here and store our gear there. Right now we are paying $1000/month which includes water, cable, one parking spot and appliances. I've looked around - but most places cost more and I really like our location. It is very convenient.

Universal Diver just moved here about 6 months ago and has a place like you have in mind, but renting (I think). For a better idea on prices you might want to check out the classifieds at www.honoluluadvertiser.com

How much you pay for a condo/house (either in rent or sales price) really depends on what part of the island you live on.

From what you said about finding a quieter location, the North Shore or the Kailua area sounds like it would suit. However, as far away (relatively speaking) as the North Shore is, the homes there are quite expensive, as many are located in prime shorefront areas. I'm not sure if there are many condos or townhomes out that way. Kailua is also pretty quiet and while homes in the Lanikai area are very expensive, there are less expensive options further away from the beach.

You mention that you have a 14 year old - unless he/she is homeschooled, keep in mind that proximity to your child's school is also a factor. If they attend a private school, most are in the Honolulu area.

Hey chepar! long time no see :D hope all is well

Chepar knows the housing market and schools around here...she's the one to ask about that :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom