Moving To Hawaii Based On Which Island Has The Best Shore Diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonDawg:
I don't know if anybody can confirm this, but a friend of mine in Honolulu says that you cannot buy insurance for your house if it's located on the Big Island, due to the presence of the volcanoes.

Not true for most of the island. There are spots where that can be true. The island is essentially divided into lava zones... http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/hazards/maps.html If you live in zone one you are probably out of luck. If you live in zone two you are probably paying up the nose. Zones 3/4 or higher, it's not really that big of a deal.

You'll know who's going to have a tough time picking up insurance by looking at property values. The lower valued subdivisions are either insurance risks or simply remote.

You asked about diving in the winter months when the North Shore surfing season is on. I belong to a dive club that does boat dives monthly. The cost is $25 dues per year and $40 for 2 tanks on a Sunday afternoon. They run boat dives all year, but I usually just do them in the winter months.

Other clubs charge $75/year and $45 for 2 tanks.

sea nmf:
You asked about diving in the winter months when the North Shore surfing season is on. I belong to a dive club that does boat dives monthly. The cost is $25 dues per year and $40 for 2 tanks on a Sunday afternoon. They run boat dives all year, but I usually just do them in the winter months.

Other clubs charge $75/year and $45 for 2 tanks.

If you don't mind me asking, what dive club is that? I've been meaning to join one but haven't decided on one yet.

friscuba:
Not true for most of the island. There are spots where that can be true. The island is essentially divided into lava zones... http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/hazards/maps.html If you live in zone one you are probably out of luck. If you live in zone two you are probably paying up the nose. Zones 3/4 or higher, it's not really that big of a deal.

You'll know who's going to have a tough time picking up insurance by looking at property values. The lower valued subdivisions are either insurance risks or simply remote.

Thanks for a link to that map. I can certainly see why no insurer would touch Kalapana with a 10 foot pole, but I didn't think the same would apply to say, Kohala.

Though, I am a bit surprised by the map. Areas that I didn't think were high risk apparently are (like the southwest portion of the island) whereas areas that I thought were unsafe aren't that bad (the portion just north of Hilo Bay).

itch808:
If you don't mind me asking, what dive club is that? I've been meaning to join one but haven't decided on one yet.

Breeze dive club. Sent a PM with details.

TerryTat:
I didnt receive a PM?
Please let me know..
Thanks....

Sorry - didn't cc you on the PM because you aren't on island yet and didn't know you wanted more details.

Anyway, the club has a website - it's www.breezediveclub.com. Spells out the club details and such.

Over the years I've been a member of several dive clubs, and I really enjoy this one.

RonDawg:
Thanks for a link to that map. I can certainly see why no insurer would touch Kalapana with a 10 foot pole, but I didn't think the same would apply to say, Kohala.

Though, I am a bit surprised by the map. Areas that I didn't think were high risk apparently are (like the southwest portion of the island) whereas areas that I thought were unsafe aren't that bad (the portion just north of Hilo Bay).

As far as that section to the soutwest of the island, that's a great deal of the area south of Hookena. People don't realize Mauna Loa erupted to the west down that direction something like 19 times during the 1900's. Kohala is considered to be very safe as far as risk to lava, it's only zones one and two that the insurers shy away from.

Back
Top Bottom