my first computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Almost every computer is nitrox and the rest well it really doesnt matter. 1 or 2 buttons they all are pretty much the same. Any computer that you get will take some time to get use to so I would recommend doing a few shore dives first with minimum depth and time then play with the computer out of the water for a while to make sure you are comfortable with it. The rest depends on your wallet I have the veo 250 as a console and I love it but get what you think will work for you.

Mares airlab
dose nitrox (up to 50%) and air and very very spacific :wink:
i reccomend this
weddas

boulderjohn:
That is strictly the case in many places around the world, and there is often a good reason for it.

• strong currents and the standard procedure is drift diving, then the boat cannot have every pair doing their own individual pre-planned

• In other cases, a DM in the water is essential to find a target site.
I totally agree with this reasoning and these DMs often point things out to me that I would have otherwise missed.

boulderjohn:
In these cases, you are indeed surrendering some of the planning responsibility to your guide, and I do it in those circumstances without hesitation. You should not put yourself totally in the hands of your guide, though. You should know before committing to the water what kind of a profile you are capable of doing with the surface interval you have had, and you should be ready and willing to overrule a DM who is leading you astray--and I have done so on several occasions. You also have more control over the planning than you might think. For example, in Truk Lagoon recently, my buddy and I discussed with a guide what we wanted to see when we wanted to get into the more challenging areas of a wreck, but we also told him when we planned to go in, based upon our own analysis of the surface interval we needed since the previous dive

Absolutley right again....
I was not complaining about this approach, rather observing that I changed my set up to match these circumstances. Thats when I decided I need a computer.

jimclarke:
I totally agree with this reasoning and these DMs often point things out to me that I would have otherwise missed.

Absolutley right again....
I was not complaining about this approach, rather observing that I changed my set up to match these circumstances. Thats when I decided I need a computer.

I hope I was clear that I was agreeing with you and adding additional support.
:D

boulderjohn:
I hope I was clear that I was agreeing with you and adding additional support.
:D
boulderjohn, your sensitivity is appreciated.

Perhaps its time we start a new sub culture forum for seeking understanding and building on ideas, with a general ethos of support.

Consider the Suunto Mosquito. Affordable and robust enough for rec dives. Been around a while and many divers started with it.... most glitches would have been long sorted out.... no problems with mine so far....

Was using a Swatch Fun Scuba as a depth gauge and bottom timer.... (dun laugh :) ) The depth gauge on the Swatch was pretty accurate as I compared it to my SPG.... Decided to get a DC to get more out of my dives (also to reduce clutter on my SPG i.e. getting rid of the depth gauge :) ) From wat I read on SB, the Suunto is quite conservative so it suits my needs quite well.... no cowboy stunts from me.....

Rather than constantly focus on the DM for his queue to ascend, i can enjoy my dives more.... I can also plan my next dives better as the Mosquito has a dive plan function.... Unless you have a dive profile the same as the DM, you cant rely on his DC to ascertain your nitrogen absorption.... For me, unfortunately (blush), i have a saw tooth dive profile as i will dart into any nook and cranny when i get too engrossed in micro marine life.... not advisable but at least with my own DC, i can monitor my own nitrogen absorption..... with repetitive dives and if u wanna use a RDP, u have to recalculate yr PG everytime before the next dive..... as long as i am doing normal rec dives, i would rather let the DC keep track for me.... heheheheh

its really a personal choice.... some encourage while some dont..... if you have the spare cash, why not? its to make yr dive more enjoyable but not for u to push the limits.... anyway, just my own 2 cents......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom