My Wife is finally giving Scuba a try - what can I do to help her succeed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...PADI Discover Scuba...
Consider asking your wife to complete the Open Water Course. This way she could dive safely with you the rest of your holiday life.

She can do the class room portion online in 12 - 15 hrs. Then do pool work/open water dives first three days of vacation.
1713055723282.png

My wife and I got certified together, and we love diving together cause we're best friends too. That said, her reasons for diving and what she enjoys about it are not all the same as my reasons. If you have solid communication skills in your marriage already, you'll be fine. If not, then my advice is to ask more questions and listen carefully to the answers. :cool:

Consider asking your wife to complete the Open Water Course. This way she could dive safely with you the rest of your holiday life.

She can do the class room portion online in 12 - 15 hrs. Then do pool work/open water dives first three days of vacation. View attachment 836591
if she is excited about the discover scuba, she will do the OW course with out local instructor (who she likes and did well with in the SSI pool session)

trying to not push her too fast.

One suggestion I would make is to have her take Sudafed, the 12 hr. type the day of, and maybe some land based gentle ear equalizing practice in days before.

Granted we won't be on a trip when my wife does but next month my wife is getting certified. I'm doing NOTHING except being her buddy. I'll do pool with her and her OW dives as a student and we'll grow into this together.

Granted we won't be on a trip when my wife does but next month my wife is getting certified. I'm doing NOTHING except being her buddy. I'll do pool with her and her OW dives as a student and we'll grow into this together.
I found that even being the buddy during OW is a distraction. You're her buddy for pre dive checks, you're there for assist in and out of gear, you're there for in water assistance. You'll be "burdened" with more because you're her SO and she'll expect more from you than an in class buddy. I made this mistake and my wife gets mad when I don't do everything for her now... pita

I found that even being the buddy during OW is a distraction. You're her buddy for pre dive checks, you're there for assist in and out of gear, you're there for in water assistance. You'll be "burdened" with more because you're her SO and she'll expect more from you than an in class buddy. I made this mistake and my wife gets mad when I don't do everything for her now... pita
Good call -- I just asked her what she wants and she mentioned for me to be her buddy to provide comfort. I guess we'll make a down to the wire call and see what happens that day. However, I might just hang out with my feet up :)

Good call -- I just asked her what she wants and she mentioned for me to be her buddy to provide comfort. I guess we'll make a down to the wire call and see what happens day. However, I might just hang out with my feet up :)
Be in the water as a 3rd wheel so she feels comfortable, but let her have the full blown buddy experience with another new diver.

besides stay away and don't butt in between her and the instructor that is...

she _LOVES_ snorkeling, is very comfortable in the water and has been on the verge of taking the OW course several times only for injuries requiring surgery to interfere...

she is finally healthy and just took the SSI in pool "try Scuba" course (and loved it)

in a few weeks we are going to the Caribbean and she will be doing the PADI Discover Scuba with a dive shop I have dove with a lot and trust. down there she will get 2 boat dives with 1 on 1 instructor to diver ratio.

is there anything I can do to help her succeed other than just stay out of the way? I really want this to work out, I would love for her to fall in love with diving the way I have.
I hope it works out for you both. My wife enjoys snorkelling, tried SNUBA once and liked it but has no desire to dive…😟

Back
Top Bottom