My Wife is finally giving Scuba a try - what can I do to help her succeed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Give her options to pick out gear she likes that is the color she wants. Pretty mask and fins bring some fun into the mix. Even if it's not the best, let her decide on it. If she likes it then involve her in your local trips. Start with quick easy dives and then progress. She may even like being surface support and chatting with other SO that stay up top and only occasionally dive (that's what my wife does).
These may get her stoked…
IMG_1108.jpeg

Promise her a trip to Indonesia on graduation.

Hi @baggins_69

I've told this story before.

I've been a swimmer my whole life and was first certified in So California in 1970, On the other hand, my wife did not learn to swim until she was in high school and had not snorkeled until we went to Isla Mujeres on our honeymoon in 1980

Jump ahead 17 years. I got recertified with my son, when he turned 12 in 1997. My wife and daughter watched us have fun diving for 5 years. When my daughter turned 12, she asked my wife to get certified with her. Though she had no real inclination to become a diver, she reluctantly agreed. She had a relatively tough time with certification, mainly due to some inordinate fears, like having her mask knocked off and the mask clearing skill. She successfully finished OW but had little confidence and residual fears.

After a few years of good diving in Grand Cayman, we discovered Bonaire. It turned out one of her other fears was descending without being able to see the bottom. Bonaire was perfect, swimming over the shallows before hitting the wall and descending deeper. She was also more relaxed when we were able to dive at our own pace without others in the group. Over several years, her confidence improved considerably, skills were never really the problem. Her fears decreased considerably and her enjoyment of diving improved significantly. We have had great trips to other Caribbean locations and Florida. My wife now asks me when our next dive trip is. She has 450 dives, many more to come.

Acknowledge your wife's concerns and figure out ways to constructively deal with them, never dismiss them. Choose activities that help your wife develop confidence and skills, even if perhaps these would not be your first choices. Don't push her to do your dives, you can always do them yourself. Being able to dive with your wife is the biggest reward. Nothing beats the smile on my wife's face after a good dive :)

Now if only they came with red soles like her Louis Vitton and she'd be all over it lol
Dude, Christian Louboutin's have a red sole.

I don't spell it, just get mad when I see them unworn in her closet. I went with phonetic spelling and how I hear it lol.
i enjoy going through my wife's closets and pulling out all the clothes with labels still on them. doesn't get me very far but its kind of like sport, at this point.

i enjoy going through my wife's closets and pulling out all the clothes with labels still on them. doesn't get me very far but its kind of like sport, at this point.
$950 heels that she wore once and I get scowled at for buying a few fill cards for $60 ea... women

My gear situation far outshadows my wife's shopping habits. And then there's the solo travelling, the DM and IDC costs, insurance, more gear, and my taking over the dining room table servicing my regs.

In all seriousness, my wife is a saint.

It occurs to.me that this question was asked in Women's Perspectives.

It would probably good to have a few more women speak up, as to how this husband can best support his wife.

I have some ideas. Does OP still want to hear them?

Back
Top Bottom