Narrow regs down to atomics b2 or hogs . Any opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know, it's almost as quick & easy to exchange a DIN fitting for a yoke fitting, as it is to spin on a Din to yoke adaptor.

But can you do that on a HOG reg? I have a Zeagle reg, and since it comes as either DIN or Yoke, I understand that not only could I use an adapter, but I could switch (or have switched) the reg "permanently" from yoke to DIN and vice-versa.

But since the HOG reg only comes DIN, can you actually switch it to Yoke, without using an adapter?

One reason I didn't go for the HOG is that I would definitely have a problem with the extra depth of a DIN-to-Yoke adapter, and I saw the regs were only offered in DIN. (And where I typically dive Yoke valves are the standard offer.)

This information might be useful for future reg purchases.

Blue Sparkle

Addtional criteria:Have attended six manufacturer’s clinics over last 5 years from any life support maufacturer
Be a TDI, SDI or ERDI instructor in good standing (Crossovers available at DEMA)
Have been employed at least six months full time as a scuba repair technician during the past five years

The additional criteria is to become a HOG technician instructor. You do not need the additional qualifications to take the class to service your own gear.

But can you do that on a HOG reg? I have a Zeagle reg, and since it comes as either DIN or Yoke, I understand that not only could I use an adapter, but I could switch (or have switched) the reg "permanently" from yoke to DIN and vice-versa.

But since the HOG reg only comes DIN, can you actually switch it to Yoke, without using an adapter?

One reason I didn't go for the HOG is that I would definitely have a problem with the extra depth of a DIN-to-Yoke adapter, and I saw the regs were only offered in DIN. (And where I typically dive Yoke valves are the standard offer.)

This information might be useful for future reg purchases.

Blue Sparkle

The HOG reg comes in DIN only. I use the adapter and have had zero issues with it and I use a DSS plate that has a lower profile than many others. I also use it with my Express Tech that has zero profile. The additional distance is about an inch. If you use a STA or any BC with a hard backpack I doubt you'd notice it being any closer. If you want a reg that can be either DIN or Yoke the Edge Epic is just as solid a performer and is also a sealed, balanced diaphragm unit.

I'd also advise you to look at where your diving may take you a year or two from now. If any kind of tech then you'll want DIN. If you decide to buy your own tanks whether steel or aluminum it is likely they will have convertible valves. Any tank I purchase now -new or used - if it does not have them I switch them out. I like the security of DIN and again using the adapter is no big deal.

One other item is cost. The adapter is around 35 bucks. DIN kits for yoke regs run around 50 - 75 bucks depending on make and dealer.

Blue Sparkle
YES! Mike at Dive Right In Scuba will sell you the parts to convert it to yoke. Many regulator parts are similar. For instance I used Scubapro DIN fittings on my yoke fill whip hoses to convert them to DIN. Someday I will take apart the HOG first stage we have to see if I have any yoke spare parts that happen to fit the HOG first stage. BTW another vote for HOG regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom