need advice on regulator for beginner, Monterey, CA area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have to agree with waiting a time before making such a large investment. I have noted in another thread that buying a computer should be a high priority. A lot of dive ops now require them. Computers are the one piece of equipment that have so many variations and operating instructions it is hard to know them all. If you buy one you will learn how to use it and be set for some time. Regs and BCD's are all pretty standard from one brand to the next for the user, not so with computers. Good luck.
RichH

Thanks guys. I'm still reading a lot of you guys comments and taking notes as I'm reading. lol

@Eric Sedletzk: checking Aqualung Titan. seems like I need to get quality piece for 2nd stage. I usually always buy quality product that will last me for a long time. It doesn't mean I'm buying the most expensive in the market.
@Ricky B: I'll look at Sunnto computer.
@runsongas: Yes, I'll be diving locally also.
@eelnoraa: I think I'll wait until I'm certified. I can't wait :)
@Aguablanco1: Computer is pretty expensive ~$500 lol

I'm just trying to understand what I need to buy and trying to understand more about the gears. As for the computer, I think I'll go with entry level Sunnto brand or something similar.

Get a bottle of sterisol germicide from trident or something similar. If you are diving around here get a Wetsuit, Dive computer or BCD first. The computer and BCD you can take and know how they work and fit.

I have noted in another thread that buying a computer should be a high priority.

This is BS. Up until the late 90s, dive computers were rare because they were rather expensive. Millions of dives have been made and millions more will be made without the benefit of a dive computer.

I have never heard of a recreational dive operation requiring a computer. If they do, if am sure they will gladly rent you one for a nominal fee.

I would second the recommendation for the Titan, given the list you posted. It's a good, solid design. Unless you are planning on traveling to Europe or the South Pacific, just get the yoke regulator. For recreational purposes, it will be fine, and you will find few DIN rental tanks in Hawaii or the Caribbean. (We have DIN regs, and always have to contact destinations ahead of time, either to arrange for the tanks or find out we have to put the adapters on ours.)

I do think a computer is a good early purchase. I would recommend one you can wear on your wrist, because it makes being constantly aware of your depth and time much easier. Pressure you can check at intervals, so using a simple pressure gauge works fine. If you have your own computer, several things happen: One, you can easily learn all the functions of the computer, whether it's the dive planning mode or what to do if the computer says you're in deco. Second, many if not most computers on the market today can be downloaded to a laptop, making it easy to stay up on your dive log. And third, virtually everybody you dive with will be using a computer, and your dives will be very annoyingly short to your buddies if you dive tables. In addition, if you are going to be doing any shore diving in Monterey, you will quickly find that tables and terrain-based shore diving don't work together very well. Tables assume a direct descent to your maximum depth, and when you are swimming downslope, you aren't doing that. Many perfectly safe shore dives look like they went horribly into deco if you assess them with tables.

We often recommend the Suunto Zoop to our students. It's a wrist-mounted, Nitrox capable computer that can be downloaded.

If you have your own computer, several things happen: One, you can easily learn all the functions of the computer, whether it's the dive planning mode or what to do if the computer says you're in deco.

So a diver needs to learn a new device, I do not consider this an advantage. Also some computers become worthless during deco mode by just giving depth and time

Second, many if not most computers on the market today can be downloaded to a laptop, making it easy to stay up on your dive log.

This is convenience only.

And third, virtually everybody you dive with will be using a computer, and your dives will be very annoyingly short to your buddies if you dive tables.

This is really YMMV and depends on the dive profiles and depth with the computer having the advantage in multilevel profiles and deeper dives. Usually, for a beginner poor air consumption is what annoys buddies and cuts dives short.

In addition, if you are going to be doing any shore diving in Monterey, you will quickly find that tables and terrain-based shore diving don't work together very well. Tables assume a direct descent to your maximum depth, and when you are swimming downslope, you aren't doing that. Many perfectly safe shore dives look like they went horribly into deco if you assess them with tables.

This could be a valid point for a person shore diving and swimming underwater (rather than on top) to the dive location. I am not exactly sure how a person would plan a dive like this unless they had a sonar map of the bottom and could accurately predict their times at various depths. Could a Zoop plan something like this?

How did people do these type of dives before computers became popular?

This is BS. Up until the late 90s, dive computers were rare because they were rather expensive. Millions of dives have been made and millions more will be made without the benefit of a dive computer.

I have never heard of a recreational dive operation requiring a computer. If they do, if am sure they will gladly rent you one for a nominal fee.

Thanks for the eloquent response. First, there are dive ops in Coz, especially if you are diving EAN, that demand one use a computer. Second, why rent a piece of gear, especially one that has so many variations and operating instructions, when they are so inexpensive to purchase? Third, and finally, this is not the 90's. PADI doesn't even teach the tables anymore. FWIW, I am not advocating not learning how to use tables, nor am I trying to start that discussion all over, it's been beaten to death. I am just making an observation. Way back, there were no BCD's, should we revert back to that? When technology can make something simpler, safer or more efficient, shouldn't we take advantage of that? Learn the tables for knowledge and then you will have a better understanding of why and what the computer is telling you. Just a silly question, do you dive a computer?
RichH

Thanks for the eloquent response. First, there are dive ops in Coz, especially if you are diving EAN, that demand one use a computer. Second, why rent a piece of gear, especially one that has so many variations and operating instructions, when they are so inexpensive to purchase? Third, and finally, this is not the 90's. PADI doesn't even teach the tables anymore. FWIW, I am not advocating not learning how to use tables, nor am I trying to start that discussion all over, it's been beaten to death. I am just making an observation. Way back, there were no BCD's, should we revert back to that? When technology can make something simpler, safer or more efficient, shouldn't we take advantage of that? Learn the tables for knowledge and then you will have a better understanding of why and what the computer is telling you. Just a silly question, do you dive a computer?
RichH

1) Coz is not Monterey, so why should the op care what is done in Cozumel? I know I don't.
2) Why purchase unnecessary gear? The more diving costs the less people get into diving.
3) There are other certifying agencies than Padi.
4) You mentioned that computers have so many variations and operating instructions so how can Padi effectively teach it? Also how are computers simpler given the many variations and operating instructions you mention? Is there any evidence that diving with a computer is safer?
5) I usually don't dive with a computer but own several. Computers have their uses but it is not the first thing a new diver should buy.

This is true.

You can do a scuba dive without a computer.
Some people can do a scuba dive without a BC (I said some people).
But nobody can do a scuba dive without a regulator, otherwise it's not S.C.U.B.A.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom