Need expert opinion about which regulator to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They're both great manufacturers. I've had both.

I used a G250 and mk?? for many years. I put that reg through it's paces for sure and it's a tank, seriously. Never an issue or complaint with this one. For many years, the G250/mk* combo was a benchmark reg for comparison.

I replaced it about 8 years ago with my current reg, a Mares Abyss. Another great reg, but as another poster put above, it'll free-flow in a heartbeat! It's easy enough to flow it that I can't use it with students (to demonstrate skills), but for diving, as long as I keep it in my mouth, it's wonderful. It does draw a little hard deeper than 110.

I'm about ready to replace my current reg and am considering one you don't have available (Aqualung Legend) but if I were in your shoes, I would purchase a ScubaPro over the Mares.

I have a Mares Abyss and it is a great high end reg. It has never free flowed on me ever. I dive mostly in the Great lakes where the water temp can get down to around 34 or 36F. I like the fact that there are no adjustments or knobs you have to fiddle with on the second stage. About 80% of the people I dive with have Mares regs and most of them have an Abyss. Just get it or any reg properly serviced and set up and you won't have any problems.

Mares also has the free service kits for life program. I just had my Abyss serviced - no cost for parts.

I have never had any of my Mares regs freeflow - and I teach ice diving with my Proton Ice Extreme.

I find the all metal second stage of the Abyss an extremely durable and smooth breathing regulator, and I feel the metal reduces the chance of a freeflow in our cold Canadian waters.

Regular service by a qualified technician has left me with regs that always work, and always work great.

Nothing against Scuba Pro - lots of people love them and swear by them.

Just my two cents...Cheers!

Either will do just fine for you and with just 10 dives I don't believe you would be able to tell the difference between the two with a blindfold on given a similar price point. Where you will see a difference is in price. With both Mares and Scuba Pro you can go low end or high end. Go high end with either and you will be happy. Also, buy from the shop/person you feel will give you the best service whatever they may sell. Scuba Pro will tend to be more expensive. Enjoy and welcome to scuba!

My vote would be Scubapro all the way, but like others have mentioned, do a search and you'll get thousands of posts on regs. My current regs are Scubapro.

Let me qualify my experience with Mares free-flow....only out of my mouth, never breathing off it normally. Where some regs will flow and shut down quick, or not flow at all, mine tends to flow rather easily when it's not in my mouth, like spitting it out at the surface, taking it out to demonstrate a skill underwater, etc. Not that this is a bad thing or even abnormal, just that this reg tends to do it much easier than other regs I've used in the past, to the point it's an annoyance when with students.

In all seriousness at the top end both make great regs. The advice of which store will give you the best deal/service/support is worth noting.

At the "entry level" I do not think it is even a contest. I would buy a hundred Scubapro MK2 plus/R190s or R295s before I would even consider one Mares Rebel or Axis or whatever they call their entry level regs.

Also consider Scubapro will continue to make parts for your reg forever or upgrade it. No matter how you feel about Scubapro, their proven record in product support is one of the best in the industry.

I am not a fan of some Mares stuff. I think their BCs are huge, bulky, and full of goofy flash; their regs so-so. However, I LOVE their quatro fins and believe they have a great, well-priced wetsuit line. Scubapro is very expensive, but they are known for their regs for a reason. They have been one of the leaders in the industry for a LONG time.

I only have one SP product, a backup MK V first (no second), no compalints with it. I do have a Mares Limited Edition Metal Proton Super Shiny yada yada (it may hold the record for longest reg name). I only bought the Mares as it was marked down from $750 to $300 and I am a wh*re for a bargain. The Mares is a fine reg and I have no issues with it, it doesn't seem any more prone to free flow than any of my others.
I would guess that if you buy mid to high-range equipment from just about any of the major manufacturers you will be plenty happy.

Let me qualify my experience with Mares free-flow....only out of my mouth, never breathing off it normally. Where some regs will flow and shut down quick, or not flow at all, mine tends to flow rather easily when it's not in my mouth, like spitting it out at the surface, taking it out to demonstrate a skill underwater, etc. Not that this is a bad thing or even abnormal, just that this reg tends to do it much easier than other regs I've used in the past, to the point it's an annoyance when with students.

Joe,
Most high performance (and some not so high performance) regs, if tuned to the edge for easiest breathing, will freeflow under those conditions. Try turning the mouthpiece down IMMEDIATELY as you remove it from your mouth. Or, have it detuned a tad.

I dive with an experienced group. The Scubapro guy goes the same places as the Mares guy, the Oceanic lady, and the fella with a Sea Quest regulator. Everybody does well and is safe. One of us has been diving 30 years.

We would all tell you the same. Unless one dealer stands out as particularly good or bad, shop for price. This is the time of year when we buy stuff, now and just after XMAS has the best prices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom