Never Been to Hawaii - Which Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems like Maui might be the place for the best blend of vacay and diving. I personally didn't really connect with Kauai, a little to slow for me, and Oahu just feels like a tropical version of Newport Beach which is what I try and get away from when on vacation. The big island was awesome diving but really BIG and we were staying nearly 1/2 hour drive from the harbor where the boats left from (we were in Waikoloa which was very isolated and had a dismal food and shopping scene). I also didn't think there was as good a selection of food and activities in Kona vs Maui overall and we didn't have an extra day to do the whole volcano thing (which takes a whole day at least from Kona and does have an elevation concern after diving).

As far as Maui, diversteve gave lots of good info - for tanks we use MAUI DIVING Scuba Center/Snorkel Shop. Equipment Rental - they are in downtown Lahaina and a very laid back shop with great prices. I don't know about guides up north as we've never used any but Shaka Doug is an excellent guide for the southern area and scubahawk27 does scooter dives out of Makena landing which we also enjoyed.

Between Lahaina and Napili, my fav shore dives are Mala wharf, Black Rock and Old Airport (easy in and out and a reef that goes on and on) we've done these many times and are easy and fun! Black rock for a night dive is always a must for us, and I did a detailed version of how we do it (there are many ways to pull it off, but this is our version)

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hawaii/461115-black-rock-maui-night-do-i-need-guide.html

We've done the reef in front of the Hyatt (Canoe beach I believe) which was good for turtles but just so so reef and viz. Slaughterhouse/Honolua bay are excellent sites, but IMHO a real PIA for gear in and out - long hike and/or stairs. We also hit Olawalu which is south of Lahaina at mile marker 14 and really liked that - the reef literally goes on forever and is very shallow so you can make a tank last and last!! The hardest part for us was finding the way back as all the coral looks the same and we missed our channel and had to swim back out to pick up my SMB that I'd tied off. The shore diving site that was posted by diversteve really lays it all out for shore possibilities.

We have used Lahaina divers for trips out to Molokai, and Lanai - big comfy boats, and very organized, leaves later so it's not such a shocker for the morning. We've gone with Prodiver for trips out to Molokini, They leave from Kiehi harbor very early so you are leaving the Lahaina area before dawn to make the boat. Pluses are it's a small boat and if you talk to them in advance, they can set you up to do the back side of Molokini (conditions allowing), and also feature live boat drifts which makes this the most Cozumel like experience we've found in HI. Because they leave so early, you are back with nearly your whole day left for more adventures!!

Have fun!!!

Now that others have recommended islands and operators, I'll pipe up. I'm a big fan of Maui as well, and recommend it particularly because you can actually dive 4 islands if you want (Maui, Molokini, Lanai, and Molokai). There's also good shore diving if you're so inclined, a wide variety of topside activities, beaches, and lots of choices for restaurants at every budget level.

For the OP, I'd recommend that you book Ed Robinson's advanced charters (Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday). 90% of the time (or more) you'll be doing live boat dives with no anchoring, and the DMs are excellent spotters of critters.

For diving, simple answer: Maui #1, Hawaii #2, other islands tied for last. From Maui you can do runs to Lanai and Molokai as well as dive Maui, with great boat and shoere dives. Hawaii shore diving is a little less easy as far as entrance and exit but diving is great and the manta night dive a must do. Time of year dictates temperatures. Early spring will be mid 70's, rising through the summer and into early fall to high 70's. I like a 3 mill but your current exposure gear may be fine. Also I see lots of people in 3 mil shorties there. Maui will present lots of turtles, and dive Mala pier and you will see white tip reef sharks. Sharks possible on other sites as well. NBest color and coral s on Maui probably at Olawalu. Have a great trip!
DivemasterDennis
We love Hawaii, and hope you will too.

Ive been to Ohau, Maui, and Big Island. Personally I like the big island. Both for vacation and diving. It is NOT a beach destination or at least as much as the other islands. What I really like is the laid back attitude and almost small town atmosphere. In fact after our last trip, my wife and I have started looking for a place on the big island. As for the diving, check this thread out http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hawaii/474354-hey-im-famous-well-not-really-but-i-boat.html. Maui is a close 2nd, so you really cant go wrong with either.

I'll try not to echo what has already been said too much, but it is important to appreciate Hawaii for what it is, not to compare our reefs to the Caribbean. There are tons of healthy coral reefs all around all of the islands, but it is small and hearty to cope with the huge (60+ ft) waves and strong currents we get sometime. However, Hawaii has more endemic wildlife than anywhere else in the world. 30% of our fish can only be found here, and we often see much larger pelagics, sharks, and turtles as they tend to be more resident here than in other places. People do like to disparage Hawaiian reefs when compared to Caribbean, but I am amazed at how many endemic Hawaiian fish make it into the scuba magazines as just stock photos. The pros are obviously here and selling the pictures they take.

As to which island to visit? It kinda depends on what you want to see. I'm partial to wrecks and Oahu is the destination for wreck diving. Big Island has manta rays pretty regularly, and Maui has some very nice reef structures plus Molokini crater is really cool.

Now that others have recommended islands and operators, I'll pipe up. I'm a big fan of Maui as well, and recommend it particularly because you can actually dive 4 islands if you want (Maui, Molokini, Lanai, and Molokai). There's also good shore diving if you're so inclined, a wide variety of topside activities, beaches, and lots of choices for restaurants at every budget level.

For the OP, I'd recommend that you book Ed Robinson's advanced charters (Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday). 90% of the time (or more) you'll be doing live boat dives with no anchoring, and the DMs are excellent spotters of critters.

HI Dive Maven, we are researching HI. We LOVED! Kona and are looking at another island to dive and enjoy. Originally seeking Kauai, after reading up looks Maui may have been diving. Can you send me a PM or post here about Ed Robinsons op? more detail about the number of divers, boat size, type, etc? On Kona we done with Pacific Rim and had a blast. Many thanks!

Ed's boat is a 32' aluminum v-hull boat. They take a maximum of 12 divers everyday except Tuesdays when it's a max of 10 divers (3-tank day). Divers are split into 2 groups, based on experience level. It is valet style of diving in that the crew sets up your gear, changes your tanks, etc. Between dives, there are snacks like muffins, pineapple, and cookies. Water is always available and soft drinks are available after the 2-tank dives, and during lunch between the 2nd and 3rd tanks on Tuesdays. The dive masters do an amazing job leading the dives and looking for all the unique and interesting creatures during the dives. Googles "Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures" and check out the website for more information.

Thanks for starting this thread. Having lived in SoCal for 45 years now, I've never been to ay of the Hawaiian Islands and hope to do so this winter. Here today, gone to Maui!

I'll second Dr. Bill in thanking you for starting this thread. I'm headed to Oahu in a couple of weeks but looks like my next trip there may be to Maui.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom