New BP/W worked great but one issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kawasakign

Registered
Reaction score
So I just tried out my new setup in the pool. I figured I wanted to make sure I was at least familar and comfortable enough to take it into the open water. (plus had new regs to try out too) Everything worked great. I think Dive Rite should have sponsored me as almost everything I was using was Dive Rite equipment.
Dive Rite
Rec Wing
SS backplate
Deluxe Harness
Weight pouches
Reg and octo

Mares Xvision (best mask I have ever used)
Scubapro Jet Fins

I had no real issues while i was underwater at depth ( ok pool depth) keeping my trim and buoyancy. In fact it was able to float underwater staring up at the surface fairly easy.Something I was never able to do in a BCD...even a back inflate one. (Plus no water up the nose..thank you new mask)

So I'm a warm salt water diver that will now be doing cold fresh. I wanted to get in and at least zero in a little on my weight requirements. So me about 15-20lbs heavier and in salt water in a 3mm suit equated to about 14lbs of lead.

Ok salt water you need more weight...I've lost 20ish pounds....nothing except a rash guard...lets put in 10 lbs and see......
Glunk!!! I sink like a rock..
Ok 8....GLUNK...
Ok 2....GLUNK...
Ok no weight...
STILL Sinking....
Hmmm aparently the SS BP/W set up and no exposure suit in fresh water makes me negative outright. I know people said that they have been able to drop some lead with a BP/W but 10ish pounds???
So then I realize something...I not only lost 20lbs....but I put on alot of muscle. (Dropped more than 12% body fat) Damn....forgot fat floats...muscle sinks.....
Then I just remembered something else...the Jet fins are a new addition too and they are heavy!

So moral of the story...glad I tested things out before jumping into the OW with 10lbs of weight.... Loving that I will not have to carry to much extra weight....
Glad I went the BP/W route and thank you scubatoys.com for working a package out for me.

kawasakign:
Hmmm aparently the SS BP/W set up and no exposure suit in fresh water makes me negative outright. I know people said that they have been able to drop some lead with a BP/W but 10ish pounds???
So then I realize something...I not only lost 20lbs....but I put on alot of muscle. (Dropped more than 12% body fat) Damn....forgot fat floats...muscle sinks.....
Then I just remembered something else...the Jet fins are a new addition too and they are heavy!

So moral of the story...glad I tested things out before jumping into the OW with 10lbs of weight.... Loving that I will not have to carry to much extra weight....
Glad I went the BP/W route and thank you scubatoys.com for working a package out for me.

It's quite common for divers to use a SS backplate, Al80, and no other ballast when diving with little or no exposure suit. With no compressible neoprene you will need to be negative by the weight of your gas at the start of the dive.

Keep in mind also that for every 40 lbs of diver and gear you will need 1 additional lbs of ballast when moving from fresh to salt water.

Tobin

If you're worried about being way too negative consider getting an Aluminium plate. Useful if travelling as well.

I'd LOVE to be able to dive with next to no weight as opposed to the 25lb i take currently....

Oh its mostly a happy problem. :)
I might get an AL plate as well like you recommended. Your right, it will help on the luggage maxes for flights as well. The tank was your standard AL80 which would have contributed to the "problem" there. With my dry suit class tomorrow it will be nice to only have to put weight to offset the drysuit. I was worried that my weight pouches would only hold so much and that I would have to use a belt as well. Well don't think I'll have much issue with that.

Good deal on dropping all the weight. You might want to do a check with your AL80 breathed down to about 500psi. Give you an idea about how your safety stops will go.

if you don't mind me asking how tall and how much do you weigh? i only ask because i am about to purchase a BP/W and am deciding between a SS or AL plate. Most of my diving requires travel so AL would be great, but honestly, carrying a few more lb if i pick SS will not be a big deal. I guess my concern is that a SS plus AL80 (what i normally use) mightl be too much weight when i'm in a 3mm.

vel525:
if you don't mind me asking how tall and how much do you weigh? i only ask because i am about to purchase a BP/W and am deciding between a SS or AL plate. Most of my diving requires travel so AL would be great, but honestly, carrying a few more lb if i pick SS will not be a big deal. I guess my concern is that a SS plus AL80 (what i normally use) mightl be too much weight when i'm in a 3mm.

Unless you at the extremes, i.e. very slender, low body fat, or quite over weight your own body weight is not a major player.

The exposure suit buoyancy, and the buoyancy characteristics of the tank used has a much larger effect on required ballast.

Where body weight is useful is when calculating the weight required to move from fresh to salt, as if provides a means of estimating the volume of water displaced.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom