new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm another fan of Mau, there are so many great ops on the island that whoever you choose you will go home with the yearning to return.. Look for an op that you can do a few shore dives, (a lot less $$$) if that's an issue..
Normally the dive masters in Cozumel will put a little extra attention towards new divers..
Most dive ops will pick you up at F.A. because it's on the way to the southern reefs..

Welcome to your new life underwater..:cheers:

Hmmm - Cozumel and only dive twice - good luck. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/images/smilies/Standard Smiles/03.gifI predict your first immersion in that liquid blue heaven will have you as hooked as the rest of us poor slobs.....

Have fun -Blue Angel is great for a dive op, but there are dozens of good ones around!

Hey, two was easy. On day one anyway :wink:

After that it was 4 or 3 tanks a day all week, it so addicting. :D

Shore diving at Fiesta Americana is very iffy, because of currents. If you are at all nervous I would stick to the boat dives.

As for number of dive ops here, Mau said there are about 120 operators offering dives, some much more professional than others. Some little more than small fishing boats, on up to very large cattle boats.

I also did my first real open water dive after getting certified in Cozumel last December. I used Scuba Mau and it worked out very good for me. I would suggest spending the money to have your own private DM or instructor dive with you the first couple of dives/days. I did my certification in a small Texas lake and I found out that drift diving in the ocean is very different compared to a lake. I did pay the extra money for my own private DM and was very happy I did. I found out very quickly how little I knew after you get certified. Of course this is just my opinion.

I also did my first real open water dive after getting certified in Cozumel last December. I used Scuba Mau and it worked out very good for me. I would suggest spending the money to have your own private DM or instructor dive with you the first couple of dives/days. I did my certification in a small Texas lake and I found out that drift diving in the ocean is very different compared to a lake. I did pay the extra money for my own private DM and was very happy I did. I found out very quickly how little I knew after you get certified. Of course this is just my opinion.

The private DM for new divers is good advice. My wife and I earned our OW certs on a referral to Roatan and it was an adventure. Those first 50 dives, for most divers anyway, are a major learning experience and when you throw in a fast switch from freshwater lakes and quarries to first time saltwater drift diving it can get interesting in a hurry. The private DM can help you get your buoyancy dialed in and show you how drift diving in Coz works. Sure, you can do it yourself, but the DM will help you make the transition much more quickly and smoothly so that you can really enjoy the rest of your week diving Coz.

And if you're new divers and are married or otherwise a couple then definitely get the private DM, you'll both appreciate it. :wink:

The private DM for new divers is good advice. My wife and I earned our OW certs on a referral to Roatan and it was an adventure. Those first 50 dives, for most divers anyway, are a major learning experience

One of the first things I learned after certification was that I didn't really know very much. Maybe a private DM would have helped, but mostly I just kept my eyes and ears open and watched people who looked like they knew more than me. Which was pretty much everyone. :D

I was thinking that too, only two dives! You will be addicted the first time you hit the water and will want to dive more.

Yeah, when I first read that line about being in Cozumel for a week and thinking about doing a dive or two, I thought, That's like saying, I'm going to Yosemite for a week and am thinking about gazing up at the majestic splendor of mountain scenery once or twice :nope:

You should dive with the house shop on a cattle boat. Only then will you understand why we have our favorite dive ops. Otherwise you will be spoiled and expect coz boutique type service everywhere. As a newbie, you should start at the bottom of dive ops that way you will truly appreciate the difference. Besides you will probably empty your tanks fast and will not get the benefit of "diving your computer limits" or extended bottom time. You will also meet other divers who are staying at FA. Two dives? Good luck. Scuba is worse than crack in terms of addiction.

:confined: Get out of the jar!

Two days til Statia!

Back
Top Bottom