New mask - so much fog!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as I can tell, Sea Buff is just toothpaste. Why pay $8-10 for a $1-2 dollar item.

I wouldn't want to brush my teeth with Sea Buff? My local shop sells it for $4.95 and they gave me my last bottle when I bought a mask so didn't cost me anything been using that one for about three years now. Whatever floats your boat the way I look at it if it costs less than a Mocha I'm not looking for a cheaper option that may not work.

:D I was given a couple of bottles when I purchased my mask too. Always handy to have on a boat with you, especially when good old spit won't do!

I wouldn't want to brush my teeth with Sea Buff? My local shop sells it for $4.95 and they gave me my last bottle when I bought a mask so didn't cost me anything been using that one for about three years now. Whatever floats your boat the way I look at it if it costs less than a Mocha I'm not looking for a cheaper option that may not work.

Toothpaste and burning for sure. I've seen the burn done with a blow torch. I'm not doing that with my mask, though I probably should. I can't remember if I even used toothepaste when I was completing OW course. No one has mentioned using baby shampoo. A dab of this spread on the (inside of) the mask will keep it from EVER fogging--even in the pool with weird air & water temperature mixes.. And cheap. You can put it on days before the dive and fugghetaboutit.

Grab one of these and go to work on it.... Then toothpaste.
$T2eC16ZHJHoE9n3Kft0kBRTHz7DOw!~~60_57.jpg

Said goodbye to a mask I loved and picked up a new Cressi Big Eyes (small face, hard to find a mask that is suitable) and it's silly how much fog I'm still getting. I've used it 15 times, done all the tricks but still no luck. I'm carrying a secondary mask during dives now because after repeatedly clearing, completely removing and eventually changing masks - I need it! Takes away from the diving that's for sure. I'm open to any suggestions or tricks that have worked for you in the past. Please help :D

Maybe this video will give you a little more confidence in using a lighter. It does sound crazy, but works quite well.

[video=youtube;TxywBgSkBe4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxywBgSkBe4[/video]

Toothpaste and burning for sure. I've seen the burn done with a blow torch. I'm not doing that with my mask, though I probably should. I can't remember if I even used toothepaste when I was completing OW course. No one has mentioned using baby shampoo. A dab of this spread on the (inside of) the mask will keep it from EVER fogging--even in the pool with weird air & water temperature mixes.. And cheap. You can put it on days before the dive and fugghetaboutit.

Agreed on the baby shampoo. I always follow Walter's advice and it's never let me down...

Method is more important than what you use. Any soap will work, dishwashing liquid is best, but baby shampoo works almost as well and won't burn your eyes. Use it full strength.

Start with a dry mask. Apply a small amount of soap. Rub it in. Let it dry. It's never too early to apply the soap. Drying overnight is ideal. When doing repetitive dives, dry the inside of the mask with a towel and apply the soap ASAP after your previous dive. Rinse it just before your dive. I often rinse it on my descent. Avoid rinsing it in the mask rinse bucket. There's all kinds of crap in the bucket.

The best abrasive available that will not harm your mask is a paste of baking soda and water. Far more efficent than toothpaste, soft scrub, etc.

With the baby shampoo I haven't yet had to re-apply it for a second dive. Maybe is necessary for a 3rd in same day, I'm not sure. Maybe it depends on how often you have to clear your mask?

Post 28...
No one has mentioned using baby shampoo.

Allow me to introduce post 12...

...diluted baby shampoo or dish detergent like Dawn before every few dives

:D

---------- Post added May 28th, 2015 at 09:42 PM ----------

PS: the reason that soap/shampoo works - for both cleaning stuff and as mask de-fog - is that it's a surfactant. By disrupting the surface tension that attracts/holds water molecules to each other it prevents individual H20 molecules from getting together to form the water droplets that comprise "fogging" on the surface.

Thank you very much for including the video, it did just as you said. I gave it a go and was surprised with what came off the lens, looking forward to the next time I use it. Appreciate the extra effort in adding the video!:D:D

Maybe this video will give you a little more confidence in using a lighter. It does sound crazy, but works quite well.

[video=youtube;TxywBgSkBe4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxywBgSkBe4[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom