New mask - so much fog!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Much as I dislike spearguns Mako does have good products and advice and I use their rubber weight belt, as the regular belt slides off my pot.

The best antifog I found is either Sea Gold or Spit. Both are clear gels, cost a few dollars, last a long time and have to be rubbed all over the lens. I'd avoid non-clear suspensions like 500PSI which leave powder residue in the lens crevices of the mask.

I have this mask (actually 2 of them) and never have fogging problem. Scrubbing is important but I think you might really help with good defog technique. I use the little bottle of defog from our shop, a few drops in each lens. Smear the defog around to cover the lens completely. Optional: you can let the defog dry - works fine. Now, when you go to rinse, just do a quick rinse, do not rinse off the defog. You want to leave a film of the defog on the lens, do not rinse it off. Rinsing the defog off is one of the things I see new divers do over and over and when they have fogged masks mine is very clear. Hope this works for you :)

I gave it a go and didn't wreck it, hopefully it works. Not in the water for a few days now so I'll have to be patient

I am in the burn the mask group. It worked for me on both of my masks and my wife's masks. The one thing with abrasives you have to be careful of is if your mask is polarized. I had one ScubaPro mask that the polarization was just a coating on the inside of the mask and I ended up scratching the crap out of my $95 ScubaPro mask. Here is the video I followed when I did my mask s.

[video]http://www.nautilusspearfishing.com/a...[/video]

---------- Post added May 29th, 2015 at 01:55 PM ----------

I've tried this before and it didn't work. I do use one for cleaning my slates though

As stated earlier, I burn my mask. But I'm thinking that Mr. Clean Magic Eraser would work also. Assuming you don't like playing with fire. Anybody try that?
It's basically just a mild abrasive.

---------- Post added May 29th, 2015 at 01:58 PM ----------

Just having issues with a new mask, not on an ongoing basis but thanks - will keep these tips in mind if the becomes a regular issue

I have this mask (actually 2 of them) and never have fogging problem. Scrubbing is important but I think you might really help with good defog technique. I use the little bottle of defog from our shop, a few drops in each lens. Smear the defog around to cover the lens completely. Optional: you can let the defog dry - works fine. Now, when you go to rinse, just do a quick rinse, do not rinse off the defog. You want to leave a film of the defog on the lens, do not rinse it off. Rinsing the defog off is one of the things I see new divers do over and over and when they have fogged masks mine is very clear. Hope this works for you :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom