New to Scuba - Need Good Quality/Dependable/Mid-level Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DitrasetMan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Good evening,

I recently just started getting into scuba diving. I would like to start off with good quality and dependable equipment as I can see myself going almost every weekend. I don't want to cheap out and regret it in 6 months. I am a bit overwhelmed with all of the various manufacturers and choices.

Do you have any recommendations for a mid-level (1) BC, (2) Regulator, (3) Octo, (4) tank and (5) dive computer/gauges?

I live in Miami, and will be doing mostly beach dives, and probably won't be going past 120 feet that often.

I could spend a little over a grand on all of the equipment.

Thanks!

A Aqualung Titan LX or a Atomic Z2 for regulators a oceanic pro plus 2 or a cobra 1 for a computer. The octo is a hard one I like the one that integrate with your BCD. Cylinders I would rent. The BCD is another hard one not knowing your height and weight and what you are use too make that a tough guess but what I would do is try on the BCD at your local dive center and see what fits the best.

Also there difference between the Aqualung Titan LX and the Titan go with the Titan LX.

A Aqualung Titan LX or a Atomic Z2 for regulators a oceanic pro plus 2 or a cobra 1 for a computer. The octo is a hard one I like the one that integrate with your BCD. Cylinders I would rent. The BCD is another hard one not knowing your height and weight and what you are use too make that a tough guess but what I would do is try on the BCD at your local dive center and see what fits the best.

Also there difference between the Aqualung Titan LX and the Titan go with the Titan LX.

I am 6' 1".

How baout the AL Legend LX?

First of all, you will get an overwhelmingly large number of people who suggest that you get a Backplate and Wing for you BCD. While I have no experience with one, the premise is quite appealing. Remove as much as possible from in front of the diver and relocate it elsewhere. From personal experience which a Jacket BCD I find it incredibly difficult to get Into the zippered pockets and challenging to get into the Velcro pockets. This is because it is very hard, if not impossible to see you chest and stomach while diving. I like the idea of Velcro pockets on the hips very much. However, with that being said,some people just do not like BP/W's. So try the BCD in a pool (if possible) before buying.

As for the recommendations above (of which I own many) they are just too expensive for your budget. Especially the Oceanic pro plus 2.1. I own one and love it, however it's about $600. Many people will say get a brass and glass SPG and clip it to a d-ring and buy a Compass and Bottom Timer or a non-air integrated wrist computer. Personally I like a lot of information while underwater so I opt for a AI computer.

Because you are warm water diving there is no need to pay extra for cold water regs. You don't need, and on your budget, can't pay for top of the line regs. Now that doesn't mean that you will be getting a lower quality reg. Scubapro, Aqualung, Apeks, and Hog/Edge make many regs designed for different diving environments. There flagship regs are often for cold, and deep diving. While the first three listed are common names among the diving communityHog/Edge is not(Not including SB :wink:).You can research those three companies and find many reviews you can look on their website and find all of the different regs they have. For more information about Hog/Edge contact Jim Lapenta (a member here on the Board). Or cerich, who is also a member and the owner. However, I will always state that unless you are willing to take the time to learn how to service your regs, buy the brand which your LDS services.

Octo wise, many members will tell you to get a long hose on your primary and a short one on you Octo, but bungee it around your neck using a necklace. Many people like having the same reg for their Octo but for a recreational diver there is no need to have any of that. Just get any Octo by the same company and clip it off to a d-ring on what ever BCD you choose. I use the one integrated into by BCD inflater. While I have not encountered anything wrong with it, I cannot say it is any better or worse than the normal Octo.

I would rent tanks for a little while unless you see you self just spontaneously wanting to shore dive with a buddy. However, if you are going to buy them I would recommend Aluminum 80's. You do not need the buoyancy characterizes of steel tanks.

There are many forums out there where people have asked the same questions who have based on the same budget. They recommended a BP/W package and HOG regulator package from a website called Dive Right In Scuba (DRIS). Good luck in your years to come as a scuba diver. Nothing is better than to live in Florida and be a diver!

Last edited:
The Legend is a premium reg with an annual service requirement to maintain a free parts for life program. Good reg, a little pricey in my view.

Do you have any recommendations for a mid-level (1) BC, (2) Regulator, (3) Octo, (4) tank and (5) dive computer/gauges?

Quick question. Tell me about your current exposure protection (skin, wetsuit?), type of tank and amount of weight you currently wear?

My suggestion can change depending on your answers but stating off I suggest

1) Zeagle Express Tech (Basic Verison) $260 Zeagle Express Tech BCD

2) Edge/Hog D1 combo $435 equipped Edge Gear D1/Epic Regulator Combo - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

3) Included in #2

4) Find two used AL80 tanks for < $100 a piece after you add in cost of hydro / VIP if in need. If your dive shop has good pricing on rental vs air only charges this might be optional.

5) Suunto Zoop $250 Suunto "Zoop" Air/Nitrox Wrist Computer

That puts you at around $1150.

I think I am going to go with this setup:Aqua Lung Dimension i3 BCD (dive shop sells for $595), an Aqua Lung Legend LX regulator (dive shop sells for $680), a Legend Octo (dive shop sells for $220), and a Suunto Zoop dive computer with regular pressure guarge (dive shop sells for $300). All together, I am getting everyting for $1,786 (which is a 10% discount from the usual price for this setup). What are your thoughts? Ok deal and equipment?

I don't see tanks in your quote. Does that include sales tax? I'm guessing not and that my config adds up to $945 which is probably about half of what you are going to spend.

It includes tax, but not tank,

Too much money on gear that you will likely end up replacing in a year or two. The regs will still be good. The BC will not be worth half of what you are going to pay for it and 600 for a BC is just crazy. You could get one for 300-400 that will allow you to have more money to dive with and/or buy a couple tanks.
220 for an octo? I agree that an octo should be of the same quality and performance as the primary but that's crazy expensive. You could buy a high performance reg set for less than what you are paying for the first stage and second stage alone. Including gauges. Which with your computer you are still going to need an SPG and hose at a minimum. I'd be willing to bet that shop you checked is going to want 150 or better for that. Too much.

The Zeagle Express Tech has already been noted and in fact is my choice for travel where weight is a factor. That or my Al plate and wing set up. You also have these that are less than the I3: BCDs

The ET will run you 275 or so for the basic unit and add 25 bucks worth of hardware for a unit that is customized and will fit you. Every time. You don't have to try and fit into it.

Other regs for less money and that perform just as well can be had that don't need service every year. They have two year recommended rebuilds. For what you are spending on your self alone as it stands and don't even have gauges, I outfitted two divers in high performance gear for just a little more. And the stuff they got will take them as far as they choose to go. Even into Tech if they choose and all they will need to do is get bigger wings to use with double tanks and add a 1st stage for the second tank.

Back
Top Bottom