Newly certified here too

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt S.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This weekend my wife and I finished our PADI OW class and got officially certified. It wouldn't have gone as smoothly as it did withough ScubaBoard where I got a LOT of good advice on equipment. On the rare occasions where I didn't find what I needed with a search, I always got a quick reply to any question I posted. And most of the gear I bought came from SB sponsors (DiveSports, DiveTank, ScubaToys) or classifieds too. For someone who exhaustively researches new hobbies, this place is the best.

Our class was in Seattle, and yesterday, our second day of OW dives, it was cold and raining most of the time. During the SI it actually began to HAIL on us, but I was comfy in my drysuit. The rest of the class, particularly my wife (whose drysuit hasn't arrived yet) was giving me the evil eye from inside their soggy wetsuits. On the bright side, her drysuit buyer's remorse quickly evaporated. :)

(During class I also learned that dry glove users are wimps, which my instructor said stands for "Warm Intelligent Marine Professionals." I did try wet gloves too, and actually liked them better at least in our 54F water--much better dexterity. But that's the beginning of another thread.)

Can we have a sticky for "i just got certified" threads? It's not like any of them have anything to say.

Congratulation on your OW certification!

Congrats Matt !
And your right, this board is a treasure chest of information !

Matt S.:
(During class I also learned that dry glove users are wimps, which my instructor said stands for "Warm Intelligent Marine Professionals." I did try wet gloves too, and actually liked them better at least in our 54F water--much better dexterity. But that's the beginning of another thread.)

For the record, i don't believe that this is a macho sport of any kind so don't categorise "Dry Gloves" with anything. People have their preferences so let them get on with it. Your instructor is an arse for even implying that.

TheFoggyMask - for your info, please note that you must have been a beginner like us at one time. Completing your first C-Card is a great feeling to new divers - to you, it's "not so interesting"! Please don't take over this board as if the announcement of minor achievements are not welcome here. It's divers like you that make this sport rather hateful.

Scotty

p.s. *this post is not to be taken seriously. Of course not. But please rememebr that i, along with many others won't normally read your sign off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom