Nitrox for a beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally I think Nitrox should be part of basic open water. So yes I say take the course.

OP said he wanted to take a class, what other class would be a good second one?

I mentioned this above (perhaps too wordily), but in a nutshell I would say it depends on what she would like to do, what sort of diving she foresees for her nearish future, and/or what she wants/needs to work on. If we get more information then we can give more specific suggestions.

For the op's diving I would consider nitrox at this point a waste of money. Ask the shop if they offer any non certification courses or workshops like gas management or decompression theory. One instructor here is working on a dive planning course. I'm looking at similar things based on some presentations I've developed. Just good solid info and education. No need for agency involvement. Does the shop have a pool where they could do a buoyancy and trim workshop. I do these in the winter as well. No cert issued just skills and knowledge passed on. Less expensive since no agency materials required. No card to process. And lots of fun.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

My dive store wants me to take the Nitrox class this winter. I'm a new diver, is this a class that a new diver should consider? I don't have much money, but I do want to take more classes. I plan to take the advanced open water class this coming summer. Can both classes be combined? Thanks for any help.
Combined? Yes, if your shop requires dives in the Nitrox training, then negotiate a discount for doing the Nitrox practice dives as a part of your AOW. Dives are not required in most Nitrox classes and I think the shops that require them are just trying to justify excessive fees. I've seen the Padi course including materials and card offered for $100, but most charge much more. :mad:

On the other hand, Nitrox is very benificial on some dive plans, some trips - and for those I hate to buddy with an Air diver, sometimes hate to have them on the boat. It's good to have before the need, sure.

If you do the Nitrox course before or during your AOW, make sure your AOW card issued includes the combination if Padi. The agency doesn't like that, preferring that you waste money on two AOW cards before you get the combo - but it can be done.

An alternative could be to take a look at our online class Introduction to Nitrox and see for yourself if Nitrox is for you.

Alberto (aka eDiver)
That's a course before the real course? :silly: It's not rocket surgery.

I agree to some extent it would be good to go ahead and take the class. While Jim points out valuable and excellent information I just disagree with the term a waste of money. Even if you dont get to receive the beniefits of Nitrox extended NDLs right away you will eventually get there and then you will have already completed the classes. Nitrox covers alot of good information that I feel should be included in Open Water but simply isnt for logistical reasons. (Being to attempt to not overload the student with too much information too fast)

Asto why it should be included in the Open Water I feel it explains alot about gas management and the more one understands gas management the more prepared they are going to be for where ever their dive adventures take them.

7.) Oxygen is presumed to have a narcotic effect similar to nitrogen, so 'nitrogen narcosis' risk (e.g.: anxiety attacks, mental dulling) isn't seen as less risky with EAN than air.

Actually EAN is usually less narcotic then air due to the lower percentage of nitrogen, at least within the recreational depths.

DUI_Diver:

I would've thought so, but when I took the course (back in early '07) as I recall I was taught that the narcotic impact was presumed to be the same.

That said, I've always wondered whether anybody had, or would, research the point. Is your report that it's less narcotic from personal experience, conventional wisdom or what? I've been curious about this issue for some time.

Richard.

To the OP . . . What else that's scuba-related can you do during the winter? If you're pretty much restricted to books and pool time, then Nitrox might be a very reasonable thing to do, depending on how the class is taught. If it's the absolute minimum "Here's why you can't go deeper than your MOD" class, it's not worth very much. But if the instructor spends a little time talking about the implications of longer bottom times, in terms of gas management, thermal considerations, distance, or other matters, it may well be worth your while. Like so many other classes, it's really about what the instructor brings to it.

It does not sound as though the diving you are doing right now either requires or would benefit greatly from Nitrox. But if you plan to do any travel where you will have multiple dive days, Nitrox starts to be worth its while.

To the OP. I normally associate course with knowledge and new knowledge is good at any point during a diving career and especially at the stage you're at. Nitrox is without a doubt one of the most useful specialties out there. When my son did his AOW, I asked the instructor to combine the Nitrox certification with it. Not only did we get a better deal...:wink:, but the use of Nitrox nicely complemented the deep portion of the AOW course by extending the bottom time by 1/3...if using EAN 32 and diving down to 100 ft. In addition, being Nitrox certified will open certain doors down the road were you to travel to a place like Cozumel where some dive shops will offer free Nitrox upgrade to those already certified. Go for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom